Live from Discovery Princess for Oct 21-Nov 4

Cruise Raider

3 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Thank you! and agree about the wine glasses. They do make a difference. I'd already scoped out that for a bit more $ we could have a glass of Caymus. That's the wine that got me drinking reds. 

Curious about the Sea/Sky Walk and what deck you wouldn't choose for your cabin because of it. Can others up there see into your balcony on Riviera deck?  

We have been under the Marina deck right under the skywalk and was never bothered by none looking down onto our balcony.  

25 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Thank you! and thanks for the information about the wine. All sounds great!

I just miss a Royal class ship being home ported in San Francisco that I just booked one more cruise, right this moment, on the Discovery again for January.  
I asked my DH and he gave me two 👍!  
We really need to stay home and visit with family for the holidays this year.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, KLM3164 said:

Me too! 😢 

I keep putting it in my post cruise survey!  
I now only cruise from the West Coast, as we no longer like to fly on long flights.  So, that really limits our options.  
I really loved having the Royal at our home port while it lasted.  At least I took advantage of that quite often.  

• Like 4

Something of note ..

We never changed set our clocks forward while in Mazatlan.  I seem to remember doing that on previous sailings.  So, I had to look it up.  We were there just before Daylight Savings Time ended. Lo and behold, DST ended in a good portion of Mexico back in the fall last year.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

@Cruise Raider It was great following your B2B. Did you use OceanNow often, and if so, how were wait times for food and drink?

I used it an average of every other day.  The wait times were great.  I would say no more than 15 minutes and the orders were completely accurate each time.  
I do have a comment about the specialty coffee I ordered through OceanNow, though.  I gave up on that because it was just not good.  I imagine some of it has to do with getting it from a paper cup vs porcelain but I’ve had it before where it was actually quite good.  I always get a decaf cappuccino and in this case, it was mostly milk (not milk foam) and very little expresso.  I think they must have installed one of those instant machines in the room service pantries.  It didn’t seem anything like the barista makes in the IC or at Princess Live.  Since it is just decaf and I don’t even have any coffee at home, I would just go downstairs to order a real cappuccino, if even then.  I hate wasting any food or drink, so I just now don’t order it in my room anymore.  

19 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I used it an average of every other day.  The wait times were great.  I would say no more than 15 minutes and the orders were completely accurate each time.  
I do have a comment about the specialty coffee I ordered through OceanNow, though.  I gave up on that because it was just not good.  I imagine some of it has to do with getting it from a paper cup vs porcelain but I’ve had it before where it was actually quite good.  I always get a decaf cappuccino and in this case, it was mostly milk (not milk foam) and very little expresso.  I think they must have installed one of those instant machines in the room service pantries.  It didn’t seem anything like the barista makes in the IC or at Princess Live.  Since it is just decaf and I don’t even have any coffee at home, I would just go downstairs to order a real cappuccino, if even then.  I hate wasting any food or drink, so I just now don’t order it in my room anymore.  

Thanks for the detailed review. I have read from many that the IC makes good coffee and the drinking from porcelain is a win as well. My coffee consumption triples when I vacation because it is included with the packages I choose. I will be a regular at IC during our week on Discovery. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Thanks for the detailed review. I have read from many that the IC makes good coffee and the drinking from porcelain is a win as well. My coffee consumption triples when I vacation because it is included with the packages I choose. I will be a regular at IC during our week on Discovery. 

We had to book at her again for January.  We really need to spend time during the holidays with our families instead of running off on a cruise.  After the New Year, we will be back at it.  
If you’re going on Jan 6th, we will down there at the IC for coffee, too.  😉 

19 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

We had to book at her again for January.  We really need to spend time during the holidays with our families instead of running off on a cruise.  After the New Year, we will be back at it.  
If you’re going on Jan 6th, we will down there at the IC for coffee, too.  😉 

We won’t be on until the end of February. So I’ll look forward to watching your next live. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

We're on the Feb 24 cruise. Is that the one you're doing? It's our 1st time on Princess in several years so lots to learn. Thanks @Cruise Raider for your thread and help. 

Yes. The Feb 24. It is our first experience with Princess. We are looking forward to seeing how we like it. So far it has been a good experience. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

i understand the band, Mockingbird, will be joining at that same time.  They are the BEST house band in the fleet.  

We will look forward to some entertainment and live bands. On our last (my first cruise) we didn’t really partake in too much of the entertainment. We were pretty resourceful enjoying the chance to catch up, play games, etc. I assume we will do much of the same this time as well. I meet up with my brother who lives on the other side of the country and we spend the whole time together along with my three sons that come along too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Oh my about the firm mattresses. We are back less than a month from a 14 day river cruise on Viking and my back and hips are just getting back to normal using our Sleep Number bed. Have brought my own pillow post Covid so that's not an issue. 

Princess use to have foam toppers that could put on the mattress if you found it too firm. We haven't sailed Princess for 10 years ,doing mostly Celebrity, but wanted to try the Discovery. Do they still have that option?

Have heard about the smoke being an issue so booked according on an upper deck port side aft. Looking forward to trying Princess again.

3 minutes ago, mbrust said:

Oh my about the firm mattresses. We are back less than a month from a 14 day river cruise on Viking and my back and hips are just getting back to normal using our Sleep Number bed. Have brought my own pillow post Covid so that's not an issue. 

Princess use to have foam toppers that could put on the mattress if you found it too firm. We haven't sailed Princess for 10 years ,doing mostly Celebrity, but wanted to try the Discovery. Do they still have that option?

Have heard about the smoke being an issue so booked according on an upper deck port side aft. Looking forward to trying Princess again.

Unfortunately, they do not have the foam toppers like they used to have. I would purchase one that you don’t mind leaving behind.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cruiser Nonna said:

Thank you for sharing - I see that you flew into Long Beach Airport - could you advise the time from the airport to the ship and the cost of Uber?  Did you also price taxi?  Thank you so much for your help

We did fly into Long Beach.  We ordered an Uber XL as we had three passengers with luggage.  
It was under $50 plus tip.  I recall seeing the Uber X was about $10 less.  
Depending on the day we’ve gone, we’ve paid as much as $70 for an Uber from the Long Beach airport to the pier in San Pedro.  But, it usually is closer to the $40 mark for the Uber X.  We only travel with carry on luggage so, that that has plenty of room. 

We never booked a taxi from there but a friend that is also a travel agent has used Ride Yellow.  They had a flat rate of around $40 and no waiting for them to show up as the taxis are already there.  

• Like 2