family of 10 - fixed times are either really early or late for our 6 YO and maybe the other kids (5:15 or 7:45).

ghstudio

We have 5:15 booked (and linked reservations), but would prefer to  eat at between 6 and 6:30.  If we switch to anytime dining, is there any way to "reserve" a table for 10 or do we risk being broken up, etc.  Experience tells me that a few $'s probably could make this happen, but curious if there is an "official" way to do this.

We are elite plus on Celebrity so we have reciprocal benefits, but don't think this matters here.  This is a 5 day cruise out of Tampa in Feb.

Edited by ghstudio

We have the same family members with a 10 and 5 year old .  We chose the fixed early dinner.  Worked out perfectly.  Everyone had the whole night ahead of them and we were able to babysit a fe nights around 9pm to give the parents a few nights to themselves.  Kids are exhausted by 9, so it really was a good choice.

21 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

We have 5:15 booked (and linked reservations), but would prefer to  eat at between 6 and 6:30.  If we switch to anytime dining, is there any way to "reserve" a table for 10 or do we risk being broken up, etc.  Experience tells me that a few $'s probably could make this happen, but curious if there is an "official" way to do this.

We are elite plus on Celebrity so we have reciprocal benefits, but don't think this matters here.  This is a 5 day cruise out of Tampa in Feb.

Switching to MTD will be a crapshoot in my opinion . Aside from trying to ensure your large table , Earliest reservations are usually for 6:45 , and generally the earliest spots fill up quickly . Only other option is to wait in standby with no res , but that's never gonna fly with a party of 10. Considering your party size , I think your hands are tied looking for a better outcome .

We hate eating that early as well , and late is too late . FWIW with the early you can show up at the late end of seating (a bit past 5:30) and you won't have any problems .

Cheers

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

What ship and cruise date?

I just realized it’s probably Radiance and Feb was mentioned.

As mentioned by the PP, MTD reservations won’t begin until 6:45.  Those early reservations times were probably already snapped up by others months ago.  Now that your cruise is only a few months away, the pre-cruise reservation options for a party of 10 in MTD are probably very limited and maybe later than late traditional dining.  If you stand in the no reservations MTD line, it would be tough to get a table for ten.

I think you are better off staying in traditional dining.

Early seating is too early. 

Late seating is too late.  

My Time Dining is the "just right" option ... if your cruise isn't coming up right away, you can probably still change to My Time and reserve these prime times.  

No, a bribe won't help.  Early will still be too early, late will still be too late, and My Time will still be free.

• Like 1

We have always done MTD at around 6:30, but now that they are putting an early fixed seating in the dining room they often don't let you in until 7 or so.  Kind of depends on if that ship has moved early dining to 5, and if "your" table has someone eating there at that time.

You CAN make a reservation for 10 and might get 7 or so as a time.  If you show up around 6:30 with a 7 reservation you may be able to get in.  Once you find a table/servers you like just ask at the desk to have that for the rest of the cruise.  It really depends on how full the dining room is whether they can accommodate your large group.  Once you get in it is easier for the dining staff to keep you in the same spot for the rest of the cruise.  And they will put 2 tops together to make room for a larger party (but the two tops have to be adjacent for this to work).

All of that said, we just switched our next cruise from MTD to early dining even if it happens to be at 5:15.  Eating a 7 tends to interfere with kids programs both for younger kids and teens hanging out.  It can be hard to get ready for dinner that early if you are out on an excursion but we try to pick morning excursions to avoid this.

We are a group of 11-13 depending on the cruise.  We have this same problem.  Because of this we always book cruises 1.5 years ahead so we can get early dining.  It is too early but we have young kids in the group too.  We've learned to like it though.  Gives the younger kids a chance to go to the shows that start at 7.  We usually just grab a pizza snack or something at the Windjammer before it closes if we are hungry before bed.

We haven't had any luck trying to get a big table during My-Time unless its after 7pm.  Too later for the little ones and the diabetics in the group.

I'd keep your early dinner.  Also, make sure you actually are the same table the day you board.  The last 4 cruises we've went on we weren't.  Even though we were all linked and reservation said table of 12.  It's not fun having to deal with it the first night.  They'll always say they can't move you all to a table but they can - they ALWAYS do if you speak up enough.  We've never had to be angry, just nicely insistent LOL

• Like 1