Villa Vie Residences

Host Jazzbeau

36 minutes ago, rebeccalouiseagain said:

Yes

Yes they are at sea, which means the passengers were never allowed off the ship in port.  So recap of the Odyssey "Ultimate World Cruise"- the left four months late, their first "exciting" port was Brest, France and they weren't allowed off.  Second port was Bilbao, Spain, which no one's really heard of either. Then onto another random port, Gijon, Spain where they were overnighting but guess what?  Couldn't get off the ship.  Now a sea day and then Lisbon.  Something tells me they will dock in Lisbon because passengers are getting on there.  Still- is this insane?

I think most people have heard of Bilbao.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

I wish Mikael and Kathy would engage with the world and provide cogent and detailed reasons and plausible plans why stuff has gone so badly wrong and  why anyone believing that they were not now selling more cabins to extract maximum cash before a pre-planned implosion for a ship that a previous Braemar engineer and staff captain has stated will not last the course - are all wrong. 

I want to be wrong because if I am right many lovely people are going to have a grim time. 

Jeff

UPDATE: MIDLIFE CRUISING POSTED PICTURES ON FB OF THEIR MORNING IN GIJON. THEY WERE ALLOWED OFF THIS AM IN GIJON. So my apologies to Angela and Steve and to VVR in this instance. They were allowed off today at least. Don't want to give out inaccurate information. The ship sailed out of Gijon at 12 ish today.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, rebeccalouiseagain said:

UPDATE: MIDLIFE CRUISING POSTED PICTURES ON FB OF THEIR MORNING IN GIJON. THEY WERE ALLOWED OFF THIS AM IN GIJON. So my apologies to Angela and Steve and to VVR in this instance. They were allowed off today at least. Don't want to give out inaccurate information. The ship sailed out of Gijon at 12 ish today.

It’s difficult to follow this.  So your correction is perfect. 

Jeff

Just now, UKCruiseJeff said:

It’s difficult to follow this.  So your correction is perfect. 

Jeff

Yes- normally I fact check but this morning- when I saw they had already departed- I assumed that the passengers hadn't had time (or ability) to get off.  You know what happens when you assume.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Charry_ said:

I think initial comments were based on Johan and Lynette who posted they couldn't get off because of the tides ( still don't get that) so they obviously were kept on board for a fair while. Seems they were allowed off for a morning 

I don't know what the range of tides were when they were there, but likely swelled by storm surge.  Gijon has a 14' range of tide coming up later this month, so it could be that the ship would have been too low, or too high for the gangway.

• Like 2

Well the pattern is, that VV uses the very cheapest ports, far away from actual towns, that tend to be industrial ports and often does not pay the fees required for an official port stop.  I bet they only cruise a few knots an hour, to save on fuel.  These people wanted an Ultra-budget experience, that is precisely what they are getting!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LA_FadeAway said:

I really hope they get to leave the ship tomorrow, just for their sanity, if nothing else. Meanwhile, VVR now has a countdown ticker until prices go up in 8 days, LMAO. How are they still advertising the golf simulator, culinary center, and "multiple" sit down restaurants?

I was just checking their website. I don't know the exact prices for every category a couple months ago but I think I remember the IS going for 100,000 or so. It is now listed at 120,000.

So their second price increase is coming? 🤣
What would that be based on? Couple hundred people on the ship? After 4 months of delays and excuses finally be able to row along to a couple of ports? 

How can they even advertise like this:

Storage

Every villa is designed for long-term sea living, offering extensive storage options like wardrobes, cabinets, drawers, shelves, and under-bed space for capacity and convenience.

and

Amenities

Our villas provide furnished rooms, en-suite bathrooms, storage, a safe, room service, workspace, Internet, TV, climate control, mini fridge, medical support, and weekly housekeeping and laundry services.

This ship is not customized for anything. It is like it was build some 30 years ago and designed for short term cruising. Heck, they didn't even change some of the furniture, carpet wallpaper and curtains from like 300 years ago. 
En-suite bathrooms? Are they joking? To classified a mini restroom in a cabin (which is living and sleeping room) as an en-suite is rich. They are playing with the word "suite" hoping that people don't know what an en-suite bathroom actually is. 

If I would have time I would actually buy a cabin, take pictures and my next stop would be with the DA in Broward County for false advertisement. 

23 minutes ago, Travel_Around_The_World said:

I was just checking their website. I don't know the exact prices for every category a couple months ago but I think I remember the IS going for 100,000 or so. It is now listed at 120,000.

So their second price increase is coming? 🤣
What would that be based on? Couple hundred people on the ship? After 4 months of delays and excuses finally be able to row along to a couple of ports? 

How can they even advertise like this:

Storage

Every villa is designed for long-term sea living, offering extensive storage options like wardrobes, cabinets, drawers, shelves, and under-bed space for capacity and convenience.

and

Amenities

Our villas provide furnished rooms, en-suite bathrooms, storage, a safe, room service, workspace, Internet, TV, climate control, mini fridge, medical support, and weekly housekeeping and laundry services.

This ship is not customized for anything. It is like it was build some 30 years ago and designed for short term cruising. Heck, they didn't even change some of the furniture, carpet wallpaper and curtains from like 300 years ago. 
En-suite bathrooms? Are they joking? To classified a mini restroom in a cabin (which is living and sleeping room) as an en-suite is rich. They are playing with the word "suite" hoping that people don't know what an en-suite bathroom actually is. 

If I would have time I would actually buy a cabin, take pictures and my next stop would be with the DA in Broward County for false advertisement. 

I'm all for burning the witch but do YOU know what an en suite bathroom is? Every cabin on every ship is en suite.

Besides which, your plan would be instantly scuppered as your next stop would likely be an industrial port that you weren't allowed off at...

Edited by Lee Jones Jnr
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lee Jones Jnr said:

I'm all for burning the witch but do YOU know what an en suite bathroom is? Every cabin on every ship is en suite.

Besides which, your plan would be instantly scuppered as your next stop would likely be an industrial port that you weren't allowed off at...

Let's not split hairs here. Of course I know what an en-suite bathroom is. Bathrooms in cabins or hotelrooms are private bathrooms meaning that you don't have to share a bathroom with your next door neighbor or with the entire hallway but if yiu have guests in your cabin or hotel room they will use that private bathroom as well. 
En-suite bathrooms are only common in suites with 1 bedroom or more on ships and in hotels. Your guests will use another bathroom, not the one attached to your bedroom. 

Most newer cruise ships have en-suite bathrooms in suites with one bedroom or more, but some older ships have only one bedroom despite having a bedroom and living room. They have naturally no en-suite bathroom just a private bathroom for the suite. 

It is tacky to use the word en-suite and has only one purpose: too make the bathroom grander by using the word "suite". 

PS: who said I will sail with them? I am just going to take pics and hop right back off. 🤣

Edited by Travel_Around_The_World

4 hours ago, Travel_Around_The_World said:

Let's not split hairs here. Of course I know what an en-suite bathroom is. Bathrooms in cabins or hotelrooms are private bathrooms meaning that you don't have to share a bathroom with your next door neighbor or with the entire hallway but if yiu have guests in your cabin or hotel room they will use that private bathroom as well. 
En-suite bathrooms are only common in suites with 1 bedroom or more on ships and in hotels. Your guests will use another bathroom, not the one attached to your bedroom. 

Most newer cruise ships have en-suite bathrooms in suites with one bedroom or more, but some older ships have only one bedroom despite having a bedroom and living room. They have naturally no en-suite bathroom just a private bathroom for the suite. 

It is tacky to use the word en-suite and has only one purpose: too make the bathroom grander by using the word "suite". 

PS: who said I will sail with them? I am just going to take pics and hop right back off. 🤣

Certainly  here in Europe, en-suite just means a bedroom with a bathroom attached. That can be a bedroom in a house, a hotel room or a cabin on a ship.  It doesn’t mean that the accommodation is a suite.

That said, I do agree with your general point about the descriptions used by this company. I had to laugh at them describing the cabins with portholes as “this unique feature”! Were this a British company I think they could be prosecuted under The Trade Descriptions Act or dealt with by The Advertising Standards Authority.

Apparently about to encounter 5/6 metre waves today on way to Lisbon. Decision to sail slowly to Lisbon might not be such a good call. Safe cruising. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LA_FadeAway said:

Glad they were allowed off the ship for at least a short visit. Looks like a lovely place.

I'm visiting Gijon next spring with Ambassador Ambition, I'm really looking forward to it, looks like a lovely port! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Leither said:

Certainly  here in Europe, en-suite just means a bedroom with a bathroom attached. That can be a bedroom in a house, a hotel room or a cabin on a ship.  It doesn’t mean that the accommodation is a suite.

That said, I do agree with your general point about the descriptions used by this company. I had to laugh at them describing the cabins with portholes as “this unique feature”! Were this a British company I think they could be prosecuted under The Trade Descriptions Act or dealt with by The Advertising Standards Authority.

They are billing this as luxury and it's ridiculous.  They are so far from luxury or opulent it's absurd.  Check out this article from Travel and Tour World, with the dapper perceived owner in his fantasy villa.  This is a dated ship akin to the Love Boat, Pacific Princess from tv.  It's not a yacht type vessel, like Regency Seven Seas.  This has really gone off the rails.  https://www.travelandtourworld.com/news/article/villa-vie-residences-odyssey-the-worlds-first-continual-cruise-sets-sail-from-belfast-after-months-of-delays/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rebeccalouiseagain said:

2.9 meter waves are 9.5 ft.

Which is not really uncomfortable, it depends on the period (time between waves) and direction relative to the ship's course.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Which is not really uncomfortable, it depends on the period (time between waves) and direction relative to the ship's course.

Chief, In case you are not aware of you is on the Villa Vie's Bridge, it is Captain Zeljko Jurac.

1 hour ago, www3traveler said:

Came from Star Cruises 2008 to Norwegian on The Star Leo (Norwegian Spirit).  Spend over 20 years as Staff Captain and Captain for NCL.

Great experience which he probably will need for this venture!

2 hours ago, www3traveler said:

Came from Star Cruises 2008 to Norwegian on The Star Leo (Norwegian Spirit).  Spend over 20 years as Staff Captain and Captain for NCL.

One of the few comforting things I’ve heard so far. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rebeccalouiseagain said:

They are billing this as luxury and it's ridiculous.  They are so far from luxury or opulent it's absurd.  Check out this article from Travel and Tour World, with the dapper perceived owner in his fantasy villa.  This is a dated ship akin to the Love Boat, Pacific Princess from tv.  It's not a yacht type vessel, like Regency Seven Seas.  This has really gone off the rails.  https://www.travelandtourworld.com/news/article/villa-vie-residences-odyssey-the-worlds-first-continual-cruise-sets-sail-from-belfast-after-months-of-delays/

Luxury is in the eye of the beholder. It is one thing if VVR gets away with caling the VVO luxurious as a sales pitch but any magazine,  newspaper or any other media medium who does a write up should stay with reality and clearly say what it is: average.

What really bothers me the most is this constant referring to "designed for long term cruising". It is not. It is a ship designed and built 30+ years ago for short term occupation. VVR has done no changes to the Odyssey and from what I can see have hardly done a decent refurbishment. There is nothing on this ship or with this ship where you can say "yes, i can spend a year on it". This is such flagrant false advertisement.

• Like 4