Account charges post cruise

Canberra forever !

Please can someone help? ... what is the best address to email regarding money taken from my son in laws account in error post their cruise?

His account has been cleared out and despite phoning p&o on Saturday morning to resolve the issue when it was discovered, nothing has been resolved and he has been forced to borrow from friends and family to feed his children and put petrol in the car! 

He's frustrated and angry and embarrassed by the whole situation as he'd budgeted for their cruise and now finds himself with no money and unable to pay bills etc 

He's written a lengthy email but wants to be sure it goes to the right person. 

Many thanks if you can help. 

• Like 1

Hello @Canberra forever !

Have these charges been made in error, or do the charges relate to the Onboard account?

P&O put a hold on your bank account of what you have spent per day, then on the last morning they deduct the total for the cruise as a separate transaction from your bank.  Hope that makes sense. 

If it is the latter, this is very common and takes several days for the amount on 'hold' to rectify itself. Many passengers get caught out by this, as on the account it looks like they have taken the money twice.

Do get back to us and let us know.

5 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

Hello @Canberra forever !

Have these charges been made in error, or do the charges relate to the Onboard account?

P&O put a hold on your bank account of what you have spent per day, then on the last morning they deduct the total for the cruise as a separate transaction from your bank.  Hope that makes sense. 

If it is the latter, this is very common and takes several days for the amount on 'hold' to rectify itself. Many passengers get caught out by this, as on the account it looks like they have taken the money twice.

Do get back to us and let us know.

Hi CarlaMarie

We got off Britannia last Thursday & I think it must be the 'hold' amount as the correct amount was debited last Thursday, but it's still being held against his account a week later & it's wiped his account out. 

He just wants it to be wiped off as he's had direct debits bounced when the money in reality is there, he tried talking to the bank but they said they couldn't help as they'd already authorised what must have been the 'hold' amount. 

Thank you for replying. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Canberra forever ! said:

Hi CarlaMarie

We got off Britannia last Thursday & I think it must be the 'hold' amount as the correct amount was debited last Thursday, but it's still being held against his account a week later & it's wiped his account out. 

He just wants it to be wiped off as he's had direct debits bounced when the money in reality is there, he tried talking to the bank but they said they couldn't help as they'd already authorised what must have been the 'hold' amount. 

Thank you for replying. 

This does happen quite frequently if you pay with a debit card, however although a similar hold is used for a credit card, as long as the hold amount is below the available balance, it does not affect your ability to use the card.

This is one of the many benefits of using a credit card, but of course does need you to exercise restraint and not to over spend.

PS it will disappear within a month, but of course it can be very inconvenient at the time 

Edited by terrierjohn

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

This does happen quite frequently if you pay with a debit card, however although a similar hold is used for a credit card, as long as the hold amount is below the available balance, it does not affect your ability to use the card.

This is one of the many benefits of using a credit card, but of course does need you to exercise restraint and not to over spend.

PS it will disappear within a month, but of course it can be very inconvenient at the time 

Oh dear I wish I'd put my card on their cabin account now it would have saved all this grief..... 

Just now, david63 said:

I am guessing that he used a debit card to pay for his onboard account. Unfortunately this is a known issue with debit cards which does not exist with credit cards.

I know that this is of little comfort after the event but on P&O's website this is mentioned (https://www.pocruises.com/essential-information/life-on-board)

He did.... I didn't even think of that before we all went I could have put my credit card on their account..... 

Thanks for replying 

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Thanks for replying....its going to be a long month until his next pay! 

56 minutes ago, Canberra forever ! said:

Hi CarlaMarie

Thank you for replying. 

I am sorry that he has been caught out by this. As others have said, after several days the hold amount will get dropped off and the available balance on his account will return to what it should be. Hopefully this will happen soon for him. 

A few years ago my mum and dad noticed this on their bank account after paying via a debit card, so ever since then they have followed the advice on these boards to get a credit card to register against their onboard account when cruising (they don't use it any other time). As soon as they get back they pay the sum off. Might be something for him to think about for the future. 

4 hours ago, CarlaMarie said:

Might be something for him to think about for the future. 

Unfortunately he may find an application difficult if the debit card debacle is causing his direct debits and payments to be refused as his credit rating will suffer.  Clearly P&O need to up their game in this case and ensure they release the charges ASAP.  

No doubt he is also now going to be hit with substantial charges for refused direct debits and unofficial overdraft fees (most banks charge 49%).  This is a prime example of the difficulties organisations place individuals in by being allowed to hold on to money they already have at the expense of an individual - it's not just cruise lines doing this.

For those of us who have available funds and lines of credit this is not a problem, however there are many who can afford their holiday, budget very well on their spending and then find themselves dropped into debt by the system, this despite them doing nothing wrong.   As to controlling their spend the person may well have done that but cannot afford to cover it twice for up to a month.

• Like 1

The hold on the account should be no more than 5 business days I understand, if P&O have had their money then the hold should be immediately released. I would suggest if they don’t do that you may have a claim against P&O for any bank charges levied. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

there are many who can afford their holiday, budget very well on their spending and then find themselves dropped into debt by the system

One option for those in that position is to withdraw cash from their current account and pay that into their onboard account thus negating the pre authorisations.

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

The hold on the account should be no more than 5 business days I understand, if P&O have had their money then the hold should be immediately released. I would suggest if they don’t do that you may have a claim against P&O for any bank charges levied. 

As I understand it this is more to do with the way some banks operate rather than the way P&O operate and as I pointed out earlier P&O do warn passengers, both old, new and potential, about this.

Edited by david63
  • Like 1

We had this issue in May. Fortunately we'd used a credit card, but the double charging took us to within a few pounds of the credit limit.

What really annoys me is the P&O attitude of "it's the way the banking system works, nothing we can do, out of our control"

It's entirely within their control to not charge people twice!

Either charge the card per day, or wait till the end of the trip.

9 minutes ago, david63 said:

One option for those in that position is to withdraw cash from their current account and pay that into their onboard account thus negating the pre authorisations.

As I understand it this is more to do with the way some banks operate rather than the way P&O operate and as I pointed out earlier P&O do warn passengers, both old, new and potential, about this.

Can’t remember about P&O but Cunard have a big wall poster at the Purser’s desk informing guests about this. 

1 minute ago, Andy24v said:

Well why not just take the daily charges?

That is exactly what people think is happening and that's why those unfamiliar have problems.  It is not correct it's the banks, it is the responsibility of the company reserving the money to release the "double" charge.  People assume when they see a charge it has been taken when it hasn't.

I frequently use the Millennium hotel at Chelsea FC and it is a term of booking they authorise £50 for "room damage".  I check out at midday by 3.00pm the money is generally released back into my account, only once did this not happen and was delayed until the next day.

On the other hand the Hampton by Hilton Gatwick holds £75 and does not release it for 14 days - I had a double charge to two different cards in March when my husband handed over his debit card to pay for his extras and they charged my credit card which was held to secure the room as well.  Despite my bank and Amex pursuing them to decide which card was going to be refunded they took 20 days to put it back on the debit card.

Rarely have I had a problem with any cruise line other than Cunard and P&O, probably because American cruise lines don't see many debit cards.

• Like 2

This is a very common problem on all cruise lines, and is frequently discussed on here. It is the way the banking system works. If anyone asks me about taking their first cruise I always advise using a credit card rather than a debit card.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

Can’t remember about P&O but Cunard have a big wall poster at the Purser’s desk informing guests about this. 

Very good but surely in the wrong place, it should be at check in and if a debit card is produced the poster should be pointed out to the person.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

That is exactly what people think is happening and that's why those unfamiliar have problems.  It is not correct it's the banks, it is the responsibility of the company reserving the money to release the "double" charge.  People assume when they see a charge it has been taken when it hasn't.

I frequently use the Millennium hotel at Chelsea FC and it is a term of booking they authorise £50 for "room damage".  I check out at midday by 3.00pm the money is generally released back into my account, only once did this not happen and was delayed until the next day.

On the other hand the Hampton by Hilton Gatwick holds £75 and does not release it for 14 days - I had a double charge to two different cards in March when my husband handed over his debit card to pay for his extras and they charged my credit card which was held to secure the room as well.  Despite my bank and Amex pursuing them to decide which card was going to be refunded they took 20 days to put it back on the debit card.

Rarely have I had a problem with any cruise line other than Cunard and P&O, probably because American cruise lines don't see many debit cards.

The Hilton incident was entirely due to the fact that you paid once and your husband also paid with a different card. That the hotel took both charges was the hotels faulty systems and nothing to do with the use of a debit card and the way banks operate.

2 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

The Hilton incident was entirely due to the fact that you paid once and your husband also paid with a different card. That the hotel took both charges was the hotels faulty systems and nothing to do with the use of a debit card and the way banks operate.

Neither card had paid for the room.  It was merely a card number to secure the room and Hilton admitted it should have been removed as the card securing the room had been changed to the debit card 10 days before check in.   After much discussion it emerged there were actually three charges, one mistaken on the credit card and two to the debit card.  The credit card one was reversed once I asked what the hell was happening and it refunded in 48 hours.  The debit card was not refunded for 20 days.  Hilton wrote to me stating it was their error and awarded us a number of Hilton Honors by way of apology.  They admitted they frequently do not release debit card charges for a number of days in that letter of apology.

I first came across this issue in July when on Azura. Lodged a debit card when we embarked and aily holds were put onto it. On the last morning our onboard account was settled in full using the debit card which is what we expected. What we didnt expect was that the holds stayed in place for a month!

I spoke to the bank and the card issuer but couldnt get a clear answer as to how this situation (holds in place for a bill paid in full) was ethical. My conclusion is that it is down to the initiator of the hold (ie P&O) to cancel it or else it times-out after one month. So whilst P&O is able to automatically apply holds everyday it has not bothered to setup a similar auto-cancellation!

• Like 1