Trip Cancellation "Dilemma"

NiceAunt

Hello!  Has anyone with travel insurance had to file a claim when they could not travel due to a non-travelling family member became seriously ill prior to departure?   Our daughter's father-in-law was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer and may be under hospice care (at home) prior to our family cruise.    Our dauther and SIL are on this cruise with the rest of our family.  They (daughter and SIL) have not yet purchased travel insurance.   I called a few companies... Allianz, Costco, and both said a cancellation for a non-travelling family member would be covered for a "life threatening situation" or "hospitilization".  I asked both agents if "hospice care at home" would be considered life threatening and was told yes, but I admit I am skeptical.   The cost of the insurance is only a few hundred bucks, and would be worth if it in fact works.    It's a risk I know.  The agents on the phone say it would be covered, but then we could try to file a claim and it is not covered. 

The other option is to do nothing and let our daughter and SIL cancel out prior to sailing if they have to and then move another one of our party into their assigned cabin (getting all details squared away with the cruise line ahead of time of course).    We have two elderly adults travelling with us who are currently "rooming together" and we could just absorb the cost of our daughter and SIL's cabin and move one of the elderly into their cabin so they have a private cabin.  The single supplment is 150%.   So basically same amount of $$ spent and the elderly adults get private cabins.  

Thoughts, anyone?   Thank you!!! 

Edited by NiceAunt

Adding to my above post.....just occurred to me that travel insurance may be out of the question as the father-in-law's condition is likely considered a "pre-existing condition".    I looked at several insurance companies websites more closely and see that many have a 60-180 day "look back".  

I think I just answered my own question but if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm open!   Other than telling them they shoud have bought travel insurance to begin with!!!   🙂 

1 hour ago, NiceAunt said:

The other option is to do nothing and let our daughter and SIL cancel out prior to sailing if they have to and then move another one of our party into their assigned cabin (getting all details squared away with the cruise line ahead of time of course).    We have two elderly adults travelling with us who are currently "rooming together" and we could just absorb the cost of our daughter and SIL's cabin and move one of the elderly into their cabin so they have a private cabin.  The single supplment is 150%.   So basically same amount of $$ spent and the elderly adults get private cabins.  

Double check carefully about the cruiseline's rules about changing passengers in cabins, which can mean simply changing names of a passenger who will replace another.  There are usually time limits before departure date, after which no changes are allowed.  And before that deadline, there may be fees to make name changes.

Just be sure whether your plans could work, or what time limits would apply.

We have had to cancel a major trip due to MIL's health emergency.

Fortunately, we had (and always try to get) travel insurance that does *not* have exclusions for pre-existing conditions.  (That's for other family members or for for someone who is traveling.)

Note:  Once onboard, it's usually very simple to have adults "change cabins", as there are no nightly "bedchecks"! 😱

However, I don't know if that would work if the passengers for one cabin simply didn't show up so the ship thought that the cabin would be unoccupied...

Good luck!

GC

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NiceAunt said:

Hello!  Has anyone with travel insurance had to file a claim when they could not travel due to a non-travelling family member became seriously ill prior to departure?   Our daughter's father-in-law was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer and may be under hospice care (at home) prior to our family cruise.    Our dauther and SIL are on this cruise with the rest of our family.  They (daughter and SIL) have not yet purchased travel insurance.   I called a few companies... Allianz, Costco, and both said a cancellation for a non-travelling family member would be covered for a "life threatening situation" or "hospitilization".  I asked both agents if "hospice care at home" would be considered life threatening and was told yes, but I admit I am skeptical.   The cost of the insurance is only a few hundred bucks, and would be worth if it in fact works.    It's a risk I know.  The agents on the phone say it would be covered, but then we could try to file a claim and it is not covered. 

Hi NiceAunt,

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's father-in-law.

May I get this information from you?

- What are their travel dates from and back to home?

- When did / will they pay the deposit on the trip?

- When is the Final Payment due prior to leaving home?

- What State do they live in?

Steve Dasseos

On 10/29/2023 at 8:17 AM, NiceAunt said:

Thank you, Steve.   I think it’s likely too late.  The trip is next month.   Can I PM you? 

Pretty sure PM isn't allowed in CC.  But you can certainly call Steve at TripInsuranceStore.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Pretty sure PM isn't allowed in CC.  But you can certainly call Steve at TripInsuranceStore.

His website is

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

email and phone info is there.

He/they are terrific to speak with. Very patient.

GC

• Like 1