Excursion Question-Activity Level-Strenuous

lwid77

Hello- this is my first post here and I am a newbie to the cruise world. We just booked a cruise in May and logged in last night to see excursions.

We are on the Constellation in May touring Italy and Croatia.

Some of these exclusions have an activity level of "strenuous".  Like touring the Cinque Terre Villages, or the Amalfi coast.

When I read the description of the tour it doesn't seem strenuous but I have no idea.  I am not sure if they are covering their behind or if this is factual information.  

We are in our late 50's and for sure not in shape by any stretch of the imagination.  I just lost 40 pounds and we just got back from London, Amsterdam and Paris where we averaged 15,000 to 20,000 steps a day.

Where can I find more details about what exactly is strenuous about these tours?  Should I call Celebrity directly?  Has anyone been on them?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.

I doubt Customer Service will know details of the tour.   Maybe ask while on board.

If you can do 15,000 steps and can walk on uneven payment  and possibly climb some steep hills you should be fine.   I would say if you can do 5,000 - 10,000 steps you would be fit enough.  

I wish everyone was as conscious as you.   We were on a tour in South America rated VERY STRENUOUS.     We had one passenger that was morbidly obese -  Long story short she fell at the bottom of a trail and we all had to wait an hour while they sent 4 staff members down to get her back on her feet.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I doubt Customer Service will know details of the tour.   Maybe ask while on board.

If you can do 15,000 steps and can walk on uneven payment  and possibly climb some steep hills you should be fine.   I would say if you can do 5,000 - 10,000 steps you would be fit enough.  

I wish everyone was as conscious as you.   We were on a tour in South America rated VERY STRENUOUS.     We had one passenger that was morbidly obese -  Long story short she fell at the bottom of a trail and we all had to wait an hour while they sent 4 staff members down to get her back on her feet.  

I'd like to think I know my own limitations.  One metro station in Paris had over 200 steps to reach street level and we missed the sign that told us that.  It wasn't fun and I was huffing and puffing but I made it.  I do have severe arthritis in my knee but again, I know my limitations.  So if I knew more about the tour itself I could judge whether it was viable or not.

Yes, we were away for 3 weeks and pretty much did those steps every day and yes, sometimes on cobble stones.

Thanks for the reply.

• Like 1

Knowing ones own limitation is really important.   I'm sure you will not have any problem at all with the proposed excursions.     I would definitely book if I were you.   Both are incredible.    We did on our own by walking to the Train Station and taking the trains.  

What bothers me more is I walk 20,000 steps a day and many tours have an age limit of 70 - like all 70 year olds are of the same.    I can assure you I could do twice the activity of most on the tour.   So we just plan excursions like that on our own.

• Like 3

I agree, knowing your own limitations or fitness level is important but I do believe many cruise ship tours that are listed as strenuous are erring very far on the side of caution, probably to provide the cruise line some reason to combat liability issues.

We don't take a lot of cruise line tours, preferring independent, but we have been on some listed as strenuous.  To me, at 78 with perhaps a little above average fitness for my age (78), none of them were strenuous.  

For instance, many snorkeling excursions are listed as strenuous.  They are not to me, as I am a life long swimmer and have been a lifeguard and swim instructor, but to many, they might be.  Know yourself is the key!

• Like 1

This is very good information, thank you.   

You have both put my mind at ease.

This is our first cruise so we are planning just Celebrity offered excursions unless something is sold out that we want to see.

Just getting our feet wet so to speak.

49 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

All of this is good advice..I too have been on tours that some folks just couldn't keep up...they knew what was involved...that said, accidents can and do happen, but this is not what was going on.  

• Thanks 1

I was on some last year listed as strenuous, there were two people on the day in Athens that couldn't do the climb to the Acropolis so were left at the bottom.

As other said, know your limits.

Also one thing I did because I know I'm overweight as the tours I was on had a lot of hills I was on I did coming up to my trip lots of walking and walking on hills so I'd get more used to the climbs.

• Thanks 1

I recommend booking excursions early as the more popular ones can sell out.  Celebrity sometimes offers big discounts during their flash sales.  If you see excursions for less than what you paid you can cancel then rebook at the new price.  There is a slight risk that your tour sells out in between cancelling and rebooking.  (Not relevant to your question though 🙂)

8 minutes ago, kiwichick62 said:

I recommend booking excursions early as the more popular ones can sell out.  Celebrity sometimes offers big discounts during their flash sales.  If you see excursions for less than what you paid you can cancel then rebook at the new price.  There is a slight risk that your tour sells out in between cancelling and rebooking.  (Not relevant to your question though 🙂)

But fantastic information, thank you!  As a new cruiser I appreciate all the help I can get!

thank you all for sharing your experience. 

• Like 1