Wine packages

e&mcruise

15 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I didn't open the link Hattie added. I was quoting the price that I could see by doing a quick internet search in my local currency - AUD which has its equivalent in GBP as I quoted.

Sorry for questioning your arithmetic.

I can see it without the price. It seems to be member only and sold as a: "Pick N Mix 6 Wines" deal.

It's on their UK site at £21.39. At your price it seems very cheap considering the shipping distance. And of course if you were expecting Veuve Clicquot or Laurent Perrier I could understand the disappointment.

They also do a version made in USA. I thought that might be what they were selling. Apparently some parts of California are permitted to use the Méthode Champenoise description:

10436663.jpg?width=466&height=400&fit=bo

41 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I know, I'm still traumatised after ordering champagne on Azamara and being given something Californian.🤦‍♀️

Korbel producers in California can call their product Champagne because they use the same fermentation process as in Champagne France but being outside of the Champagne region of France must use the term on their bottles méthode tranditionalle.

I’m sure @D&N may have more to add about Korbel. It’s actually good stuff and I’ve toured their facilities in CA. They make great beer too, only served onsite. 

4 minutes ago, NE John said:

Korbel producers in California can call their product Champagne because they use the same fermentation process as in Champagne France but being outside of the Champagne region of France must use the term on their bottles méthode tranditionalle.

I’m sure @D&N may have more to add about Korbel. It’s actually good stuff and I’ve toured their facilities in CA. They make great beer too, only served onsite. 

Lots of wineries in Southern England make méthode champenoise wines, some of them exceedingly good, but they don’t call the stuff champagne, a simple matter of geography.

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

Lots of wineries in Southern England make méthode champenoise wines, some of them exceedingly good, but they don’t call the stuff champagne, a simple matter of geography.

Korbel has some loophole that they can still print Champagne on their bottles. They’ve been around for 150 years. 

1 hour ago, NE John said:

Korbel has some loophole that they can still print Champagne on their bottles. They’ve been around for 150 years. 

This intrigued me as I thought Champagne had  PDO status. It does

but

on further research, the US Government, in their infinite wisdom, allowed the term Champagne to be used on US produced sparkling wine as long as the brand was in production on or before March 2006 and the geographical area is named on the label.

Every day is an education!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 11/5/2023 at 3:20 AM, rakkor said:

I'm not sure I'd take a wine package again if I couldn't see what I was buying before hand. The brochure I was sent bore no relation to what was offered on board.

I assume the wine packages are still available to purchase after embarkation, and that one can review the available wines in the packages prior to purchasing... ?

On 11/6/2023 at 5:46 PM, exlondoner said:

Korbel

Afraid not. Don't know anything about it.

We're happy to drink Cava, Prosecco or French regional sparkling for a pre dinner drink if it is better value. And anything cold and sparkling in a spritz. But if I order Champagne I'd expect it to come from the Champagne Region.

I imagine sparkling from other parts of the world would probably meet our pre dinner needs.