Carnival Panorama Propulsion Issues

welldone60

6 minutes ago, LatinaInTexas said:

I guess it's better than the usual $50pp per missed port I see offered but yeah I wouldn't be happy. I cruise for ports, exploring and doing new things, don't care for sea days so I would be upset.

So my take on that Latina is if your cruise is essentially completely compromised and it's not a weather issue (act of God), then the compensation needs to be higher. Not to rabbit hole here but I had relatively little sympathy for the Greenland folks. Those are challenging tender ports using the lifeboats and there was a hurricane stirring up the North Atlantic. We ourselves only made 3/4 of our Iceland ports. No comps; none expected. I'd say in this case for the current pax I might be: $400 OBC Plus a 25% FCC.

Let's take this completely plausible situation. Say Panorama needs 3 days work back in Long Beach and sails a modified 4 night Catalina/Ensenada run next week. You know those folks will be given 'right to cancel', airfare/hotel reimbursement and a 25-50% FCC, exactly as was done for Pride folks in Dover this past summer. 

Heald has to deal all the time with morons who make unreasonable demands or expect Carnival to be clairvoyant. Crap happens and normal folks roll with it. But it always seems to me that the 'We're sorry that this happened to your hard earned vaca' compensation should always exceed expectation. They certain did that relative to Pride this past summer and got a lot of good feedback.

• Like 7

Just now, red lobster said:

Hotel rooms are expensive and I have to cancel 2 days prior, otherwise I get charged, so hopefully we hear something sooner rather then later.

I think you will Red. And Carnival's recent track record (Pride issue over in Europe) was that they stepped up. Certainly execution wasn't perfect but they were lauded for their commitment to the various impacted pax.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jsglow said:

Have there been any Vista 'new builds' since Panorama for any line? I may have to research that a little bit. No doubt re-engineering existing is problematic but you always try to incorporate your best knowledge into current projects. 

Venezia - Firenze - Adora Magic City - Adora TBA (under construction) bigger than other ships in the class at 142,000 GT compared to Vista's 133,596 GT.  Hopefully, they have re-engineered beefier azipods to handle the extra size.

• Like 3

This ship has been experiencing this issue since at least the restart of post covid cruising.  When we were in her they changed the days of the island visits for the same reason.  My favorite stop, Coboi was reduced hours .... something like 6 am to 1 pm.  People who signed up from r booze beach break were disappointed.  We got back around 8:30 am.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jsglow said:

Personally, I find that completely inadequate. I view mechanical failure in an entirely different light than weather related issues. Personally, I thought Greenland was close to fair. This, not so much. Again, personal opinion only.

I agree, $400 obc is nice and all if you have something to spend it on, but it doesn't make up for missing 2 of the 3 ports because they can't keep the boat working.  As has been stated, this isn't a one-off for Panorama but a returning issue.  I sympathize with Heald and the rest when passengers are angry about weather and port issues that they can't control.  But this isn't that.  I have this cruise as my first in March and would be upset.

• Like 3

We are on in a couple weeks and as long as it sails, life is good. The dates for this work and we just need to get away. If the itinerary gets modified, so be it. Hope we can get off the ship once or twice during the week to explore. No matter where it is.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, LAKingsFan said:

We are on in a couple weeks and as long as it sails, life is good. The dates for this work and we just need to get away. If the itinerary gets modified, so be it. Hope we can get off the ship once or twice during the week to explore. No matter where it is.

Great attitude. Usually they can get these things fixed. I wouldn't be shocked if parts are already on the way to LA. Again, it all depends on what exactly failed. Trust me; Carnival never wants to cancel cruises.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Great attitude. Usually they can get these things fixed. I wouldn't be shocked if parts are already on the way to LA. Again, it all depends on what exactly failed. Trust me; Carnival never wants to cancel cruises.

Fingers crossed. We have been on this ship a few times and love it. 

• Like 1

Just now, jimbo5544 said:

LOL this class of ships are home runs, going on the Horizon this weekend.  Been on all three,

The ships themselves are great - it's the power plants that have been albatrosses.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jsglow said:

I think you will Red. And Carnival's recent track record (Pride issue over in Europe) was that they stepped up. Certainly execution wasn't perfect but they were lauded for their commitment to the various impacted pax.

Was on that sailing and totally agree

• Like 1

Just now, LAKingsFan said:

Agree. I have been on all.three as well and love them. This particular one happens to be close to where I live

I get the hesitation, been there and done that.  All that said, wonderful class of ship.  Azipods can be somewhat……finicky

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mz-s said:

The ships themselves are great - it's the power plants that have been albatrosses.

meh, while I agree there have been issues (Vista mainly), the number of sailings without issue is what to concentrate on.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jsglow said:

I was truly impressed on the Pride.  They worked it and solved it.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

meh, while I agree there have been issues (Vista mainly), the number of sailings without issue is what to concentrate on.

Compared to a ship like Fantasy, they will certainly be found wanting when the record books are written.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mz-s said:

Compared to a ship like Fantasy, they will certainly be found wanting when the record books are written.

Comparing those two (one is scrap now anyways….) I would take the horizon …. Brushing up my math skills….divide the square root of Pi by 13th prime number….mmmmm 99 out of 100 times, the other is just for something different. 

21 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Comparing those two (one is scrap now anyways….) I would take the horizon …. Brushing up my math skills….divide the square root of Pi by 13th prime number….mmmmm 99 out of 100 times, the other is just for something different. 

One day horizon will be scrap as well.

1 minute ago, RCmommy said:

I truly don’t know.  Maybe it’s less likely on sailings with super calm water and winds so the ship doesn’t “overheat”. That’s my non-mechanically inclined brain ideology.

We have her booked for January.  We did the Vista last January and I recall a lot posts here and there about propulsion issues leading up to our sailing.  There seemed to be no determining factor for the issue on your own cruise, either good luck or bad. We had good luck.  Fingers crossed!

Just a guess, but I don't think it sounds like a significant breakdown, but rather a part (or series of parts) that continually fails under strain thus the reduction, and not outright loss, of propulsion.  And why the repairs are never permanent.

But I have no clue how these ships work.  In the words of Oddball:  "I just ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work."