Saga Spirit of Discovery

davecttr

We've been in more than 5 metres on both  Queen Victoria and Elizabeth and hardly felt it. I wonder either SOD feels waves worse (isopods and fancy stabilizers not as effective ). Or Saga has just become very very risk adverse.

19 hours ago, JoJo1947 said:

Waves 5 metres high in the Bay.  Missed port and missed  a storm. Passengers kept well informed of situation . Back into Portsmouth later today. 

41 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

We've been in more than 5 metres on both  Queen Victoria and Elizabeth and hardly felt it. I wonder either SOD feels waves worse (isopods and fancy stabilizers not as effective ). Or Saga has just become very very risk adverse.

A bit of both I suspect. At 58K tonnes SofD is significantly smaller than the Queens at 90K, and smaller ships feel the weather more than larger ones. Doubt if pod propulsion is the issue as both QE and QV use it. But it is also true imo that Saga is somewhat risk adverse compared with many other lines and this has probably increased since the unfortunate incident with SofD in Biscay which resulted in many passengers being injured.

I've noticed the swell more on the new ships than on Sapphire & Pearl 2. We put it down to the deeper hull of the old ships.

One very bad night Sapphire was followed from Southamton by a P&O ship. I was watching on marine traffic & the P&O ship seemed to be strugging to keep up with us.  In fact she didn't & we got well ahead.