Saga Spirit of Discovery

davecttr

2 hours ago, Banjo an said:

I think there will be some upset passengers on board

Yes , but it spent 3 days in Lisbon,  one when we couldn't get off ship. So one day in Portsmouth is getting off lightly. 

It raises question  when captain said no problems with ship!

Perhaps and only perhaps this explains why it took us 25hrs  crawling  at 12.5 knots to get back to Portsmouth after meeting SoA, yet it took her only 19hs to get there.

Edited by Windsurfboy

oh, now I am getting a bit concerned.  Owing to rapidly changing family drama circumstances (a house sale fell through, argh), we ve just this week late booked for the 4 January cruise to canaries. Let's hope engineers are doing what is needed.   I will appreciate updates from those in the know.

(

59 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Yes , but it spent 3 days in Lisbon,  one when we couldn't get off ship. So one day in Portsmouth is getting off lightly. 

It raises question  when captain said no problems with ship!

Perhaps and only perhaps this explains why it took us 25hrs  crawling  at 12.5 knots to get back to Portsmouth after meeting SoA, yet it took her only 19hs to get there.

It was because we were pushing on to get ahead of a depression and you were sitting in the middle of a ridge  of high pressure on the way up and also a day ahead of schedule thus avoiding weather ahead and astern of you

9 minutes ago, JoJo1947 said:

People are so naive. If you book to travel in the winter no good going on about safety delays . 

I don’t think people are going on about safety delays.  They just want to be given the full facts in a timely fashion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JoJo1947 said:

People are so naive. If you book to travel in the winter no good going on about safety delays . 

JoJo: were you on the ship for the Caribbean cruise ? I think, if you had been, you would have realised that the weather alone was not the factor behind the delays, missed ports and speed variations. SoD, operating as normal, would have been perfectly able to deal with the conditions met en route without most passengers missing a course over dinner. However, I strongly suspect that she was not operating as normal due to events that had happened during the previous cruise. If this was the case then the Captain had no other sensible choice than to do what he did.

I hope they sort it all out very soon, both for current guests and future ones, but also for Saga themselves. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

Apart from the delay in Lisbon and the early arrival into Portsmouth, what else happened on the Caribbean cruise?

We missed our first and last scheduled stops ( Azores and Madeira) as well as Trinidad and St Barts. 

1 hour ago, JoJo1947 said:

Actually, naivety has nothing to do with it. As is oft quoted on the TV programme "Saving Lives at Sea", UK is an island nation. This means it is surrounded by water, each of which have a notorious reputation whatever time of year - English Channel, Irish Sea, Atlantic, North Sea - and that is before you even think about the Bay of Biscay. So, if you book a cruise any time of year, you are liable for poor sea conditions and strong winds. One can have calm waters all the way in winter months and stormy seas in summer months. 

31 minutes ago, FannyLiz said:

We missed our first and last scheduled stops ( Azores and Madeira) as well as Trinidad and St Barts. 

I think we've only been on 2 cruises that haven't missed at least one port. They were in 1997 on Oriana & 2003 on Saga Rose. April this year may have been a 3rd time because I can't remember which port we missed.

3 hours ago, sleepingcat said:

oh, now I am getting a bit concerned.  Owing to rapidly changing family drama circumstances (a house sale fell through, argh), we ve just this week late booked for the 4 January cruise to canaries. Let's hope engineers are doing what is needed.   I will appreciate updates from those in the know.

(

Engineers what engineers? It's not usual to be delayed this time of year. It happened to us a year ago. This year has been exceptional with storms and bad weather. Risk one takes sailing in winter