Saga Spirit of Discovery

davecttr

1 hour ago, FannyLiz said:

It's the crew I feel sorry for. Talking to one of the young lasses in the Living Room she says how traumatised they were by the situation last cruise and now this. They can't show their fear but she is worried. At least we passengers can break out more Stugeron and take to our beds if necessary but the crew have to go on working and, if remarks I have heard in the Living room are typical, take the flak from some disgruntled passengers too.

It really annoys me when people are awful to the crew. They work so hard. They are away from home for 3 to 9 months at a time. We always treat them with respect & as a result we get exceptional service from them. (Actually they give exceptional service to everyone).

• Like 4

Passengers we have spoken to are not happy that we will have spent 9 days at sea, without calling in at Madeira, not visited the Azores, Trinidad and St. Bart and spent 3 days in Lisbon fixing an engine problem which should have been fixed before leaving Portsmouth.

10 minutes ago, lincslady said:

That is a shame.  I suspect that passengers will get some sort of compensation, but that it not really the point; looking forward to interesting ports is part of what it is all about.

Don’t think we will; I’m certainly not expecting it. Those people who took out insurance with a missed ports clause might but no mention has been made of compensation for those who did not. We have had immediate refunds for missed excursions.

4 hours ago, Banjo an said:

Passengers we have spoken to are not happy that we will have spent 9 days at sea, without calling in at Madeira, not visited the Azores, Trinidad and St. Bart and spent 3 days in Lisbon fixing an engine problem which should have been fixed before leaving Portsmouth.

No one can control sea conditions and if you cruise this time of year it's the risk you take. Now if the Captain had done differently the forum would be flooded with criticism on that. You'll get a payout. No wonder Saga are financially up the spout with the amounts they've already paid out on previous recent cruises.

1 hour ago, Spence55 said:

The cancellation of the Azores but instead heading to Lisbon for repairs always seemed more by design than anything else. 

At the Meet the Captain event he was asked when it was first known that the software needed updating and answered that it was on the way from Portsmouth to

Lisbon.

A shore excursion shuttle bus has been arranged tomorrow for anyone who wishes to go to the Gunwharf Quays Christmas Market. 

We have just sailed by Spirit of Adventure en route to A Coruna and the Canaries. Very clear view and looking much more elegant than the block of flats that we passed a lunchtime.

Edited by FannyLiz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FannyLiz said:

A shore excursion shuttle bus has been arranged tomorrow for anyone who wishes to go to the Gunwharf Quays Christmas Market. 

We have just sailed by Spirit of Adventure en route to A Coruna and the Canaries. Very clear view and looking much more elegant than the block of flats that we passed a lunchtime.

I saw how close you were on cruise mapper & hoped someone would post that they'd seen the sister ship.

Not been to Gunwharf Quays but the Naval Dockyard is well worth a visit or 2.

6 minutes ago, Banjo an said:

Was it really the weather that necessitated the 3 day stop in Lisbon?

My guess would be that it took that long to analyse the data from the incident in Biscay & code & test the fix.

My imagination is now running riot as to how one would set up the test environment.

Two comments, Siemens engineers were on SoD for the three days in Lisbon. Captain  said we could not leave untill it had been recertified.

Secondly we were told we had to come back early to miss bad weather.  Yet yesterday noon , the SoAdventure passed us going South to Maderia,  into the weather we were hurrying home to miss.

P&O Ventura currently in mid BoB just where we should have been if kept to schedule  asked anyone on board via CC what weather is actually like. 

14 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Two comments, Siemens engineers were on SoD for the three days in Lisbon. Captain  said we could not leave untill it had been recertified.

Secondly we were told we had to come back early to miss bad weather.  Yet yesterday noon , the SoAdventure passed us going South to Maderia,  into the weather we were hurrying home to miss.

P&O Ventura currently in mid BoB just where we should have been if kept to schedule  asked anyone on board via CC what weather is actually like. 

When the decision to miss Funchal was taken the forecast was very poor for Biscay and the channel since then the depression has taken a different track and is not so bad as initially forecast, after the incident a couple of weeks ago the correct decision was taken at the time to avoid a repeat IMO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mollag said:

When the decision to miss Funchal was taken the forecast was very poor for Biscay and the channel since then the depression has taken a different track and is not so bad as initially forecast, after the incident a couple of weeks ago the correct decision was taken at the time to avoid a repeat IMO

It depends on which forecast you looked at , Windy was the worst. Weatheronline showed no more than 4.5meter waves, similarly not too bad for stormsurfing and buoy weather. Neither for met office shipping forecast.

Unfortunately  windy is official saga provider. Clearly the incident the previous cruise made Saga ultra cautious, whether it was the correct decision,  depends on point of view. Even the Windy forecast bad weather forecast wasn't in same league as last cruise. Note neither low was ever a named storm,  unlike Ceiron and Domingo.

3 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

It depends on which forecast you looked at , Windy was the worst. Weatheronline showed no more than 4.5meter waves, similarly not too bad for stormsurfing and buoy weather. Neither for met office shipping forecast.

Unfortunately  windy is official saga provider. Clearly the incident the previous cruise made Saga ultra cautious, whether it was the correct decision,  depends on point of view. Even the Windy forecast bad weather forecast wasn't in same league as last cruise. Note neither low was ever a named storm,  unlike Ceiron and Domingo.

I don’t look at amateur websites UKMO,EMCWF and GFS for me and I doubt SAGA look at the amateur ones either, the storms don’t get named till they get within reach of land and by that time they had dissipated so no need this time 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Banjo an said:

The spirit of Discovery was due to leave Portsmouth at 4.30pm today. It is now after 7pm and she is still at her berth yet Condor ferries are plying backwards and forwards across the channel to the Channel Islands. 

The Plot Thickens…..!🤫

3 minutes ago, FannyLiz said:

I noted on 7th Nov that we didn’t move until 8.20 pm and were supposed to go at 5 pm. Perhaps they are waiting for someone or something ? More eggs and edible bananas perhaps ?

Perhaps Bombay Sapphire, Lobster and more Smoked Salmon... maybe not... but it's a nice thought.