South Georgia - Avian Bird Flu

machotspur

Some sad news has reached us on Silver Endeavour last night . Avian Bird Flu has reached South Georgia - one of the most remote and environmentally protected locations on the planet. 

It has been found on around 40% of landing sites on the north side of the island. Our planned landings for our final day have therefore been pulled. 

We have just received some bad news regarding our substitute landing - Peggoty Bay - Shackleton’s landing site on the south side. The crew advanced landing has identified presence of Avian Bird Flu, with dead birds evident. The landing has therefore been cancelled. The plan is for us now to view the sites from zodiacs.

I’m no expert but it’s not looking good in South Georgia, both for the bird population and cruise visits. Those familiar with the island will be aware of the huge populations of various species existing here.

Not wishing to be alarmist but I suspect a full lockdown will not be far away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Before the season started, some scientists discussed closing the entire region down to tourism, do to the dire consequences on the bird flu spreading.  Sadly, when this reaches Antarctica, it is likely to wipe out many colonies of penguins, seals, birds, etc.  This is also compounded With most hatchlings from last year being born to late because of too much snow, and not surviving.  

I would not be surprised is this is the last year for a while landing are allowed in the region.  Heard they are also discussing shutting them down mid season if conditions change.  

• Thanks 1

On 11/8/2023 at 4:42 AM, machotspur said:

Some sad news has reached us on Silver Endeavour last night . Avian Bird Flu has reached South Georgia - one of the most remote and environmentally protected locations on the planet. 

It has been found on around 40% of landing sites on the north side of the island. Our planned landings for our final day have therefore been pulled. 

We have just received some bad news regarding our substitute landing - Peggoty Bay - Shackleton’s landing site on the south side. The crew advanced landing has identified presence of Avian Bird Flu, with dead birds evident. The landing has therefore been cancelled. The plan is for us now to view the sites from zodiacs.

I’m no expert but it’s not looking good in South Georgia, both for the bird population and cruise visits. Those familiar with the island will be aware of the huge populations of various species existing here.

Terrible news.  Since you are unable to go ashore, are you able to motor around the South Georgia Islands via the zodiacs?  I'm curious - in January we are making our second attempt to get to South Georgia.

If a visit to South Georgia is allowed then but it's restricted to viewing from zodiacs, we'll probably cancel our trip there on the Wind in 2015--viewing birds and other animals from offshore is not the same as through an actual landing based upon our experience on our Cloud Antarctica trip, and it would be heartbreaking to see dead and dying wildlife.

23 hours ago, taxatty said:

If a visit to South Georgia is allowed then but it's restricted to viewing from zodiacs, we'll probably cancel our trip there on the Wind in 2015--viewing birds and other animals from offshore is not the same as through an actual landing based upon our experience on our Cloud Antarctica trip, and it would be heartbreaking to see dead and dying wildlife.

You are correct - it wouldn't be the same, and yes, I really don't want to see a bunch of dead penguins.  However, we cannot cancel at this point.  Just wondering if we can make a little lemonade out of lemons, if South Georgia landings are cancelled.

On 11/8/2023 at 8:42 AM, machotspur said:

Update

We were given permission to carry out zodiac cruises around the bay. During this we viewed the glaciers, icebergs and Shackleton’s landing site with the James Caird. We were also able to view from the zodiacs the initial ascent Shackleton/Worsley/Crean took across South Georgia to Stromness.

There is no suggestion that zodiacs will/ will not continue to be permissible.

My understanding is that the species most vulnerable are birds of flight and certain seals. At the second level some, but not all Penguins are vulnerable. There is no other information being shared by expedition crew on the ship. 

We have now been at sea for two days heading for Elephant Island so do not expect any further reliable information. I’m sure more will emerge from cruise companies & TA’s in due course.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

@machotspur. Thanks for the heads up.

Something from the Polar Journal.

https://polarjournal.ch/en/2023/10/24/avian-influenza-reaches-south-georgia/

Thank you for posting this helpful article.

It appears that there is little that can be done to halt the disease entering South Georgia as it is brought there by migratory birds.

Stringent controls on visitors - which are predominantly on smaller cruise ships - should go some way to restricting the spread around the island. I do believe that cruise ships will ‘do their bit’ backed up by the South Georgia authorities who appear to be very diligent.

However - as reported in the past couple of days around 50% of landing sites are already infected.

It appears to be a question of ‘wait & see’.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, machotspur said:

Maybe a ‘thank you or like button’ on the original post may have been more appropriate than a post such as this.

Thank you for the update.  I'm sorry if my post sounded "short" - that was not my intention.  I didn't know there was a thank you button or a like button.  I am a Neanderthal when it comes to technology.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Pumblechook said:

I heard a report that Silver Cloud landed pax on Sth Georgia maybe a week ago.  Can anyone substantiate, or know of current policy/restrictions?

Positive news! Can you expand on where they landed? 

This is a vendor website so I cannot vouch for the accuracy.

https://gov.gs/visitor-sites/

Landing site status

Updated 30th November 2023

Over half of South Georgia's landing sites remain fully accessible to visitors, including the spectacular king penguin colony at Fortuna Bay.

The following sites are closed for landings for the 2023/24 season, with zodiac cruises permitted:

Royal Bay (Moltke Harbour), St Andrews Bay, Cooper Bay

The following sites are all temporarily closed for landings, with zodiac cruises permitted:

Gold Harbour, Elsehul, Right Whale Bay, Salisbury Plain, Ocean Harbour, Husvik

The following sites remain open for landings on a restricted basis:

Grytviken (including Shackleton's grave, the South Georgia Museum and Norwegian Church)

Another web site I found while going down the rabbit hole which lists the 49 approved landing sites in South Georgia.

• Like 1

This is really sad news.  A zodiac floating around looking at the wildlife from a distance is just not the same. 

But if migratory birds introduce the flu, I don't think preventing tourists is going to solve the problem.  It might slow the spread down a bit, but eventually it is going to spread. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, RachelG said:

But if migratory birds introduce the flu, I don't think preventing tourists is going to solve the problem.  It might slow the spread down a bit, but eventually it is going to spread. 

When we were there on Silver Endeavour last month this was the reasoning given - migratory birds introduce the flu, but there is a high chance of humans speading it - if not controlled.(although of course there are other ways it will be spread).

I understand that the expedition cruise ship folk will always defer to the people who are on South Georgia, who are charged with the primary objective of protecting the wildlife on South Georgia.

I would add that the decision not to land in a couple of places was made by the Silversea 'advance zodiac party' who themselves identified evidence of Avian flu.

Having said this the reports indicated up thread are far more positive than I had expected when we were there last month. Fingers crossed for everyone due to go there in the next couple of months !!

Edited by machotspur
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2023 at 10:44 PM, Colleen Higginson said:

We have just been notified Ponant have cancelled the South Georgia component of our the great L’Austral loop journey departing 5 Jan 24. Hoping the rest of the journey is okay and the bird flu doesn’t continue to spread 

Silver Wind is at Port Stanley today and will then head for South Georgia.  We will be there on Christmas Day.  Currently the weather looks enough to keep us from landing!  I will update in due course.

• Thanks 2

We have just had our arrival talk for South Georgia tomorrow. Change of plans. Due to the strong winds and ocean swell, the ship is heading to the south east area and will anchor in Cooper Bay at 7:00am.  We will be zodiac cruising, but not landing due to bird flu restrictions.  It is expected we will still see plenty of fur seals and King penguins.

In the afternoon the ship will move to Royal Bay, where zodiac cruising but no landings will again take place.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Port Power said:

We have just had our arrival talk for South Georgia tomorrow. Change of plans. Due to the strong winds and ocean swell, the ship is heading to the south east area and will anchor in Cooper Bay at 7:00am.  We will be zodiac cruising, but not landing due to bird flu restrictions.  It is expected we will still see plenty of fur seals and King penguins.

In the afternoon the ship will move to Royal Bay, where zodiac cruising but no landings will again take place.

Tough news. Any possibility of landings at Grytviken or Fortuna? I believe others have had landings there recently.