Debarking in Bordeaux

nordski

I realize that Azamara only visits Bordeaux several times a season, but I would appreciate any descriptions of the process of debarking there, especially times of leaving the ship.

Our flight has been moved to 10:30 am and that is one half hour earlier than Azamara recommends The alternatives are some arduous flights that day or staying in the city to depart the next day.

Thanks for considering this.

Bordeaux "dockside" to the airport is about an hour.  Bordeaux Airport is small and be aware if any of your flight process involves Air France, they are very inflexible about timings.  There is not an actual terminal at Bordeaux ( we have come off river cruises there that disembark at the same spot)  It is more a tent on the pier.  Whether agents or handlers are there early I do not know

Are you in Bordeaux the day before- I ask this because its a tidal river and certainly on the river boat (we actually docked three times in Bordeaux, never once did the port authorities bring us in at the agreed town.

Personally I would take a night in Bordeaux, its a fabulous city we have had a few weekend breaks there - and the Intercontinental Hotel is wonderful and right in the heart of town

• Like 4

Thanks so much for that information.! We are in port for two days but realize that leaving the ship on the first day might be problematic. As I understand it the ship docks downtown so a tent makes sense and seems rather haphazard in terms of services.

Your suggestion of staying in the city is valuable. Unfortunately neither of us are wine connoisseurs and visiting estates is not a huge priority. But we can do some research.

i will look into booking The Intercontinental. 

As usual your response is hugely helpful. I had forgotten that river cruises also docked there. I may post on that forum.

11 minutes ago, nordski said:

Thanks so much for that information.! We are in port for two days but realize that leaving the ship on the first day might be problematic. As I understand it the ship docks downtown so a tent makes sense and seems rather haphazard in terms of services.

Your suggestion of staying in the city is valuable. Unfortunately neither of us are wine connoisseurs and visiting estates is not a huge priority. But we can do some research.

i will look into booking The Intercontinental. 

As usual your response is hugely helpful. I had forgotten that river cruises also docked there. I may post on that forum.

A fun thing to do in Bordeaux is La Cite du Vin. Someone described it as wine meets Epcot. We spent a very enjoyable few hours there and it would tick the vineyard box in a different way. Bordeaux tram network is excellent and the one to La Cite is direct from beside the hotel. 
The cathedrals are also lovely 

Whatever you choose enjoy!

• Thanks 1

Last June we ended our Azamara cruise in lovely Bordeaux.   Our BA flight was at 12.45 and we were on the last coach departure to the airport at 9 am.  The transfer was booked onboard using OBC.  There had been several other coaches leaving much earlier.  The debark was seamless - just picked up cases and onto the coach.  We had arrived in Bordeaux the previous evening.

Next July we are again in Bordeaux on a Scenic River cruise and are booked on an 09.30 flight from BOD.  Obviously Scenic are not expecting problems and they run cruises from Bordeaux regularly.

The airport is a short distance away - and of course you could book a taxi.

However Bordeaux is lovely so an extra day there would be great. 

6 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Last June we ended our Azamara cruise in lovely Bordeaux.   Our BA flight was at 12.45 and we were on the last coach departure to the airport at 9 am.  The transfer was booked onboard using OBC.  There had been several other coaches leaving much earlier.  The debark was seamless - just picked up cases and onto the coach.  We had arrived in Bordeaux the previous evening.

Next July we are again in Bordeaux on a Scenic River cruise and are booked on an 09.30 flight from BOD.  Obviously Scenic are not expecting problems and they run cruises from Bordeaux regularly.

Just to say our last river cruise was Scenic from Bordeaux - as I recall they had people leaving in taxis from 0500 as they tend not to use coaches.  They do all their own handling of baggage.  Loved that river cruise it was a wonderful experience 

(sorry to hijack the thread)

Just now, uktog said:

Just to say our last river cruise was Scenic from Bordeaux - as I recall they had people leaving in taxis from 0500 as they tend not to use coaches.  They do all their own handling of baggage.  Loved that river cruise it was a wonderful experience 

Yes, we have done this Scenic cruise before, and this time we are going with friends.  Just love Bordeaux especially since our first visit some 20 years ago when my son was at University there.  The French really look after their students - wine appreciation, a little light bull fighting (calves - not hurt) and a coach pick up at 3 in the morning from the city centre to their student accommodation.

I was so disappointed that we didn't have longer in Bordeaux at the end of our Azamara cruise.  I had neglected to notice our arrival time was 7.30 pm somehow I had read it as 7.30 am.

1 hour ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Thanks!

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Off topic, but we have plans to be on Scenic on the Seine next autumn. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Which cruise are you on that ends in Bordeaux, @nordski?

It is the thirteen night Spain Intensive on Quest that leaves Barcelona on May 28th 2024 and arrives in Bordeaux on June 10th.

We took a similar cruise but it ended in Greenwich. We absolutely loved that itinerary and this schedule is somewhat similar. I believe uktog may have been on that earlier cruise. 

Unfortunately health issues have limited our cruising, but we are optimistic about this opportunity. Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, nordski said:

It is the thirteen night Spain Intensive on Quest that leaves Barcelona on May 28th 2024 and arrives in Bordeaux on June 10th.

We took a similar cruise but it ended in Greenwich. We absolutely loved that itinerary and this schedule is somewhat similar. I believe uktog may have been on that earlier cruise. 

Unfortunately health issues have limited our cruising, but we are optimistic about this opportunity. Fingers crossed.

Sorry about the heath issues. That is probably in store for all of us sooner or later. We are looking at a similar cruise in September on Quest, which is why I was asking. Sorry to miss you once again!

7 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Sorry about the heath issues. That is probably in store for all of us sooner or later. We are looking at a similar cruise in September on Quest, which is why I was asking. Sorry to miss you once again!

I checked the listings and wonder if that cruise is on Onward, or am I looking at the wrong cruise?

The Onward itinerary is equally exciting. A highlight for us would be Gehry’s Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao. Gehry’s architecture has had little impact on his hometown, Toronto, so we must travel to see it.

We have also enjoyed the overnight in Seville on another itinerary and it is a marvellous experience. All the other ports we would love to return to, well maybe excepting Gibraltar,

i don’t think you will regret this cruise!

As for our health, our issues are minor compared to others. But I do have thoughts about signing up for a maple syrup festival while sailing Montreal to Iceland. I believe you are on that cruise.

6 minutes ago, nordski said:

I checked the listings and wonder if that cruise is on Onward, or am I looking at the wrong cruise?

The Onward itinerary is equally exciting. A highlight for us would be Gehry’s Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao. Gehry’s architecture has had little impact on his hometown, Toronto, so we must travel to see it.

We have also enjoyed the overnight in Seville on another itinerary and it is a marvellous experience. All the other ports we would love to return to, well maybe excepting Gibraltar,

As for our health, our issues are minor compared to others. But I do have thoughts about signing up for a maple syrup festival while sailing Montreal to Iceland. I believe you are on that cruise.

We ARE on the Montreal to Iceland cruise! Would be great if you were too! Wrong time of year for a maple festival though!

We are looking at both the Onward and the Quest Spain intensives in September. Both are a little pricey. I am probably going to wait until my February cruise and book something onboard.

38 minutes ago, nordski said:

We just did the Wine and Culture cruise in September that stopped in Bilbao.  We arranged a private tour that included a private guide in the Guggenheim.  It was fabulous.  Saw and learned things that we never would have noticed on our own.  The company was Best of Basque and it was a great tour.

We are on the Montreal to Iceland cruise as well.  Looks to be a great itinerary.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

We ARE on the Montreal to Iceland cruise! Would be great if you were too! Wrong time of year for a maple festival though!

We are looking at both the Onward and the Quest Spain intensives in September. Both are a little pricey. I am probably going to wait until my February cruise and book something onboard.

Apologies for missing the Quest itinerary. Portimao would be interesting because I can’t recall any itinerary where it was included. I am certain that flying to Lisbon would offer more choices than to Bordeaux and thus some savings as well.

A “little pricey” is a kind euphemism but I hope you see some sales and booking on board should provide some relief. I look forward to your  choice.

A small disagreement. I respect your point, but I maintain that it is never the wrong time for a maple syrup festival. 😀

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, crzrr said:

We just did the Wine and Culture cruise in September that stopped in Bilbao.  We arranged a private tour that included a private guide in the Guggenheim.  It was fabulous.  Saw and learned things that we never would have noticed on our own.  The company was Best of Basque and it was a great tour.

We are on the Montreal to Iceland cruise as well.  Looks to be a great itinerary.

Many thanks!

I am researching it now! I gather that the Guggenheim visit was part of a wider itinerary. 

The company, from their website, appears very professional.

14 minutes ago, nordski said:

Many thanks!

I am researching it now! I gather that the Guggenheim visit was part of a wider itinerary. 

The company, from their website, appears very professional.

They were excellent and very easy to work with.  We did the Bilbao tour for cruise ship passengers.  The private guide in the Guggenheim was an add on which was very reasonable and so worthwhile.  The food tastings were sufficient to be lunch.  There were 8 of us (the largest # that they can accommodate) and we had an incredible day.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, crzrr said:

They were excellent and very easy to work with.  We did the Bilbao tour for cruise ship passengers.  The private guide in the Guggenheim was an add on which was very reasonable and so worthwhile.  The food tastings were sufficient to be lunch.  There were 8 of us (the largest # that they can accommodate) and we had an incredible day.  

Thanks for helping me out. 

Your praise speaks well for the quality of the tour  and its options.