Non-refundable deposits

newbie202020

Hi, just noticed that a certain big box travel agent is now quoting non-refundable deposit rates on their website for Cunard. A few days ago, the same website offered a similar rate but the deposit was refundable. This is a big deterrent for me as I usually book about 10 months before trip starts and don't want to commit in case something unforeseen happens and we can't make the trip. I hope this doesn't become a trend.

When I booked my upcoming Caribbean voyage I had the choice of a rate with a refundable deposit and a rate with a non-refundable deposit. The refundable deposit had a higher fare but it included enough additional onboard credit to make it not matter.
If you're quoted a rate with a nonrefundable deposit you should inquire whether there's also one with a refundable deposit. You may have to speak with an agent to achieve that, or have a relationship with a particular TA.

Edited by Underwatr
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, david63 said:

That is why you have travel insurance

Speaking from experience, many cancellations can be of a personal nature and are not covered by travel insurance.

In our case, as we have very specific cabins in mind, we book as soon as itineraries are released and keep our fingers crossed but are prepared to take the hit [we should have just disembarked QV's Northern Lights trip but cancelled due to a family event] if we have to cancel so I can appreciate newbie202020's 'dilemma',

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Speaking from experience, many cancellations can be of a personal nature and are not covered by travel insurance.

In our case, as we have very specific cabins in mind, we book as soon as itineraries are released and keep our fingers crossed but are prepared to take the hit [we should have just disembarked QV's Northern Lights trip but cancelled due to a family event] if we have to cancel so I can appreciate newbie202020's 'dilemma',

same here, not with cruising, but we had to cancel entire holidays for reasons which the insurance shouldn't pay,  that's mainly why I don;'t like booking travel so much in advance.... so yes, I also understand 🙂

• Thanks 1