Manly and Bondi beach in Sydney

1 hour ago, Jean C said:

Understood. However, we travel with a couple of thin cotton velour pool towels, they cost me $2 each many years ago, with fish scenes on them, probably designed for kids, but they line the bottom of our suitcases, can be used as padding for breakable items, and are a good back-up if needed 😊

I'm the same as you....I still have my sons' old Dr Who (featuring a Dalek) or Spiderman towels as they're small & light (I'm 60) gives me a laugh!🙂  Not all hotels will lend out towels, especially if you're travelling to a local beach, and not simply swimming in the hotel/ship pool.

• Haha 1

On 11/11/2023 at 7:23 AM, ceeceeDee said:

Being a Northern Beaches Beach Babe back in the day, I'd opt for Manly. Lived at Bondi for a while, but still preferred Manly Beach (or North Steyne or Queenscliff).

My late parents used to love to holiday in Hawaii.  With no direct flights from this side of the country they'd fly to Sydney for a couple of days en-route.  As part of their experience they always got the ferry to Manly and ate fish and chips on the grass by the beach.  To this day whenever we find ourselves in Sydney, in order to honour their memory, we do the same.  We sit on a table on the grass (sometimes has to be a bench as all the tables are taken, usually by seagull poo) with take away fish and chips and a beer and toast Mum and Dad.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, arxcards said:

There is no way we have the packing space to take towels around the world. We would just use whatever pool towels the hotel/ship has.

I have a couple of microfibre towels that I take everywhere. They fold into a tiny bundle and a great for drying in an emergency. We don't go to lie on beaches anywhere apart from Australia but I probably wouldn't use them on a beach.

5 hours ago, buchhalm said:

Check out TESALATE towels. Awesome, sand repelling and ultra fast drying. Sand simply won't stick to it after a good shake...

We have tesalate towels. We take them to the beach, often. We don't pack them to take on planes for a day or two on a beach in Waikiki or Miami.