Solo Cabins on NCL JADE/ Will there be a studio Lounge?

VIKINGCRUISER

Hello all!

It's been a long time since I cruised and I have partly put it off because of the cost (I would be solo) and have to incur 200% single supplement rate.

I was excited to hear about all the NCL ships that do not have Solo rooms and Studio Lounges getting them added on for the season.When I called NCL and asked a few questions about the categories (Solo Balcony, solo window, solo inside) it was confirmed the Jade would have all these categories by the rep.

BUT, when I also asked about the percs of the solo rooms via studio, I was told that it was possible that even the solo categories were added on, it wasn't in stone that there would be a studio lounge for the meet and greets and planning with other solos.

I am mainly concerned with this because I get a comfort level knowing there are organized solo activities with this category, and to find out it's just cabins and nothing else gets me to hesitate (my wife really doesn't like cruises, but she told me she has no issue with me going and to enjoy myself).

Sorry to get long winded, but I am looking for more definitive info at this point for the Jade, otherewise I would choice another NCL that has the studio areas

Thank you

Joe

54 minutes ago, VIKINGCRUISER said:

Hello all!

It's been a long time since I cruised and I have partly put it off because of the cost (I would be solo) and have to incur 200% single supplement rate.

I was excited to hear about all the NCL ships that do not have Solo rooms and Studio Lounges getting them added on for the season.When I called NCL and asked a few questions about the categories (Solo Balcony, solo window, solo inside) it was confirmed the Jade would have all these categories by the rep.

BUT, when I also asked about the percs of the solo rooms via studio, I was told that it was possible that even the solo categories were added on, it wasn't in stone that there would be a studio lounge for the meet and greets and planning with other solos.

I am mainly concerned with this because I get a comfort level knowing there are organized solo activities with this category, and to find out it's just cabins and nothing else gets me to hesitate (my wife really doesn't like cruises, but she told me she has no issue with me going and to enjoy myself).

Sorry to get long winded, but I am looking for more definitive info at this point for the Jade, otherewise I would choice another NCL that has the studio areas

Thank you

Joe

It is my understanding there would be no Studio lounge on those ships that dont have studio cabins. But the solo inside, solo balcony, solo oceanview is a new option, it doesnt start until 1/1/2024 so who knows, maybe over time  NCL might start working on a studio lounge for this category of cabins. But right now there is none.   I read somewhere in reference to this new category that the passengers in them would have access to the studio lounge "in those ships who have a studio lounge" .  Its harder to start up a new studio lounge where there is none than it is to designate some of the cabins solo inside, solo balcony, solo oceanview.  If you want a studio lounge at the present time I guess its best to book on a ship that currently has one

• Like 1

Yeah - adding the 'solo' category on the ships without a Studio Lounge doesn't make a ton of sense as adding access to that lounge is really the only benefit to that category compared to the non-solo cabins of the same type.  On some trips/ships that DO have the lounge the 'solo' category rooms are way more expensive than a Studio or a non-solo room of the same type.  

• Like 2

I must be in the minority, I travel in studio cabins almost every cruise and rarely go into the Studio Lounge-- total waste of space except for maybe an hour in the evening.

If you read any of the Freestyle Dailies, you will find a solo gathering every evening at one of the bars.

I am glad to finally see different categories of cabins with a "solo designation".  How many of each category of cabin will have a "solo designation" is still probably an open question and may vary from ship to ship.

It will be interesting how all this works out.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

If you read any of the Freestyle Dailies, you will find a solo gathering every evening at one of the bars.

So I guess my question is this. Prior to adding on the "solo" cabins like the Jade is doing, was there no specific gatherings for solo passengers every day?

Or just the initial first night at the bar like I think you mentioned?

TIA

It does not seem like the Jade has a lounge currently but it is not necessary to have a solo meetup.  Ships that do not have the lounges will meet in another location.  The one time I was solo on a NCL ship with no lounge we met at the Champagne bar.  We had a great group that ate dinner together.  It was fun.

Last month, I was on a cruise with a solo lounge.  I loved the lounge as a great place to grab a quick snack and coffee, run into friends I'd met at the meetups, and enjoy a before dinner Prosecco.  We had a great meetup host and very social solo travelers.  It was great!

Personally I'd prefer a ship with a solo lounge but lack of would not keep me from booking an amazing cruise.  A great host and fun travelers are really what makes the solo meetups great.  I have not found a fun solo meetup outside of NCL, but still had amazing solo cruises without.  

Book you cruise and have fun!  Solo traveling can be the best.

• Like 1

@Smitheroo is exactly correct.

Studio lounges are found where there are studio cabins. The intent of the lounge was to make up for the smaller cabin size by providing the shared lounge area for those traveling in the studio cabins.

Solo Insides/Oceanview/Balcony cabins are simply regular size cabins that will be marketed for one occupant, but not at the double occupancy rate. They will be given access to the studio lounge, but only where it is available. Similar to the fact that while all ships have suites, not all ships have a Haven.

Events for solo travelers are held on all ships. Generally, this is done in a public area and not in the studio lounge where one is available. This is to preserve the privacy of those who may enjoy the lounge without the bother of a public activity intruding on the space.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, VIKINGCRUISER said:

So I guess my question is this. Prior to adding on the "solo" cabins like the Jade is doing, was there no specific gatherings for solo passengers every day?

Or just the initial first night at the bar like I think you mentioned?

TIA

According to all the Dailies I have read, there are Solo Gatherings every night at a specific time and bar.

I would think that if Lounges were going to added, it would have to be during an extensive drydock AND they would have to remove cabins to make room.  I do not see them doing that any time soon.

My other suggestion would be to join the Roll Call of your particular cruise, make contact with other solo passengers and make arrangements from there.

Also solo cabins can be more expensive on some cruises. There are itineraries that have zero solo supplements and when that happens it’s cheaper to skip the solo designation. My upcoming TAs roll call we’ve decided even if there are no nightly pre dinner solo meetups we will have our own and go to dinner together. This cruise has a ton of solos because it has no supplement.

• Like 1

I am looking at a cruise for next year and the solo inside cabin is only $50 more than the studio cabin. This ship does have a studio lounge so I would have access, but to be honest, I very rarely go to the meet ups other than the first night. I don't have a problem eating alone but if there is a night that I want to be in a group, I will stop by the lounge for the meet up and go to dinner with them..

As far as the Jade and other ships without solo lounges, I believe they still have the solo meet ups every night, just at a different location. I was on the Jade 2 years ago but it was with a group of solos that I had met on a prior cruise and stayed friends with so didn't pay attention to any solo gatherings.  

2 hours ago, Capitan Obvious said:

Generally, this is done in a public area and not in the studio lounge where one is available.

That's quite the generalization, especially considering I've been on 3 cruises with a Studio Lounge (including one this year) and the solo meet was held in that lounge every night...

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, hallux said:

That's quite the generalization, especially considering I've been on 3 cruises with a Studio Lounge (including one this year) and the solo meet was held in that lounge every night...

Not sure what is worse, the fact that you missed the first word in my post which, taken in context, clearly indicates that these meets don't ALWAYS occur outside of the lounge or that you seem to want to say that somehow your experience overrides the experiences of others.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, www3traveler said:

I must be in the minority, I travel in studio cabins almost every cruise and rarely go into the Studio Lounge-- total waste of space except for maybe an hour in the evening.

I am glad to finally see different categories of cabins with a "solo designation".  How many of each category of cabin will have a "solo designation" is still probably an open question and may vary from ship to ship.

I also dont anticipate hanging out in the studio lounge much myself.  Some people may take more advantage of it perhaps because it makes them feel more secure ? (with the keycard access) or they dont like to eat alone so hope to meet up with other like minded solo travelers?   I'm not really a group type person. I'm not ruling it out but not going looking for company either.   It may be a place to get a quicker cup of coffee in the am though. 

12 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

Not sure what is worse, the fact that you missed the first word in my post which, taken in context, clearly indicates that these meets don't ALWAYS occur outside of the lounge or that you seem to want to say that somehow your experience overrides the experiences of others.

@hallux is correct.  IF the ship has a studio lounge, the solo meet ups are there every night. In my experience, they will sometimes meet at a bar on the first evening, but once the group is there, the coordinator walks everyone as a group to the studio lounge so those not in the studios know where it is. IF there are no studio cabins on the ship (hence, no studio lounge), then those solo meet ups are held in the same location (typically a bar) at the same time every evening. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, debenson0723 said:

@hallux is correct.  IF the ship has a studio lounge, the solo meet ups are there every night. In my experience, they will sometimes meet at a bar on the first evening, but once the group is there, the coordinator walks everyone as a group to the studio lounge so those not in the studios know where it is. IF there are no studio cabins on the ship (hence, no studio lounge), then those solo meet ups are held in the same location (typically a bar) at the same time every evening. 

Sorry, but you are wrong about hallux being correct. (Remember, all I said here is that the gatherings don't ALWAYS happen inside/outside of the lounge...it can vary.)

But since you seem to be hung on the "IF the ship has a studio lounge" point, let's examine a FSD from the Norwegian Prima which does, btw, have a studio lounge:

Prima.jpg.258835118c8ffe4a5fd923e66e3cb6fe.jpg

I stand corrected.  In my experience, I have not been on an NCL ship with a studio lounge that held the solo meet ups anywhere but that lounge, except for the first night. On the Prima it started in the Belvedere lounge the first night and 110+ solos that showed up went as a group to the studio lounge. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

I am looking at a cruise for next year and the solo inside cabin is only $50 more than the studio cabin. This ship does have a studio lounge so I would have access, but to be honest, I very rarely go to the meet ups other than the first night. I don't have a problem eating alone but if there is a night that I want to be in a group, I will stop by the lounge for the meet up and go to dinner with them..

As far as the Jade and other ships without solo lounges, I believe they still have the solo meet ups every night, just at a different location. I was on the Jade 2 years ago but it was with a group of solos that I had met on a prior cruise and stayed friends with so didn't pay attention to any solo gatherings.  

The studio lounge has free snacks and coffee and such.  Depending on the ship, it may also have other amenities (The Prima and I assume other Prima class ships have beer taps) so definitely still worth using the lounge even if you don't go to the meetups

Edited by macewank

I feel like the new solo category is a trap since studios in the past can actually be more expensive than a regular inside when they drop the solo supplement. Does anyone think this is NCL's way to say you're saving as a solo but not dropping the solo supplement anymore?

I'm getting ready to book some solo cruises but I don't know if booking the "new" solo cabins will trap me into higher pricing. Maybe it's better to book a regular cabin and wait for them to drop the solo supplement to reprice. IF they will even do that anymore. 😞

This feels like a gimmick (to make money) since as far as I can tell there's no studio lounge and the cabins are the same.

Sorry I'm so cynical but I've being burned by NCL enough.

1 minute ago, mistertomatoe said:

I feel like the new solo category is a trap since studios in the past can actually be more expensive than a regular inside when they drop the solo supplement. Does anyone think this is NCL's way to say you're saving as a solo but not dropping the solo supplement anymore?

I'm getting ready to book some solo cruises but I don't know if booking the "new" solo cabins will trap me into higher pricing. Maybe it's better to book a regular cabin and wait for them to drop the solo supplement to reprice. IF they will even do that anymore. 😞

This feels like a gimmick (to make money) since as far as I can tell there's no studio lounge and the cabins are the same.

Sorry I'm so cynical but I've being burned by NCL enough.

I think it all depends on what you’re booking. If it’s a popular cruise then book solo since they won’t drop the supplement. If you’re looking at something more shoulder season or an older ship that won’t charge a supplement then book a regular cabin. You can always reprice. It’s nice to have the option in my opinion.