Which cruise lines have loyalty programs where status never expires?

astera

2 hours ago, SelectSys said:

What do you expect if points never expire?  This really isn't too surprising a result. 

Actually I predicted this several years ago after the last Diamonds in December promotion with so many members reaching Diamond status.  The DC was very crowded afterwards (more so than usual) often with overflow rooms added.  And about that time is when they started offering drink coupons that could be used anywhere on the ship in an effort to reduce the overcrowding in the DC during the cocktail hour.  I also suspected that longer term it would be a way to "thin the herd" by restricting the DC participation to D+ and Pinnacle.  Over time the coupons were well received which IMO paved the way for the current change from the DC to now the Crown Lounge for the two higher tiers only during the cocktail hour.

That all being said, I am glad that the points never expire.  And for those with whom loyalty programs matter, anyone who by being a loyal cruiser has earned the upper tier status over time by investing their discretionary income with a given cruise line deserves the full benefit of that program permanently.  It would be a kick in the backside to have an expiration date on points earned over a long period of time when one is now able to enjoy those benefits.  But I doubt we will see any more such promotions in the future to grow the upper tiers.  Just my opinion.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Crown Lounge for the two higher tiers only during the cocktail hour.

I actually believe the use of a name not associated with the loyalty program makes it easier to implement another status level and/or dynamic lounge access.

7 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

anyone who by being a loyal cruiser has earned the upper tier status over time by investing their discretionary income with a given cruise line deserves the full benefit of that program permanently

"Deserves" is kind of a strong word to me.  It is certainly nice to receive benefits for life, but this is simply a marketing decision made by the company and is pretty much unique to the cruise industry.  Perhaps you are right as other travel loyalty programs are not so dependent on purely leisure travelers like the cruise industry.

On 11/14/2023 at 6:33 AM, Hlitner said:

For what it's worth, the benefits of loyalty programs have been consistently "watered down, by many lines.  

10 hours ago, SelectSys said:

This is a necessary result of "lifetime" benefits that never expire.  On my recent cruise it was announced that 25% of the ship had "elite" level status.  I personally expect that benefits on many lines will continue to be "watered down" over time.

There have been general cutbacks, but I can't really identify any meaningful watering down of the loyalty programs we use (mainstream lines).   One line changed from specified minutes of free wifi to discounted wifi, which is actually better.  I'm probably forgetting something.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

I actually believe the use of a name not associated with the loyalty program makes it easier to implement another status level and/or dynamic lounge access.

"Deserves" is kind of a strong word to me.  It is certainly nice to receive benefits for life, but this is simply a marketing decision made by the company and is pretty much unique to the cruise industry.  Perhaps you are right as other travel loyalty programs are not so dependent on purely leisure travelers like the cruise industry.

I think deserves as in merits the reward.   In this case I agree status levels should not expire (all levels, not just upper tier).  Of course I might have just a little conflict of interest.  Haha.   

• Haha 1

On 11/15/2023 at 1:31 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

Following. Good to know that what I always thought has turned out to be true - the vast majority of the mainstream cruise lines have statuses that never expire, unlike some airlines. This might change in the future as I hear occasional stories about what cruise lines need or want to do about all the people at their respective top levels.

Huh, your mention of the typical airline program made me think of how we have changed our approach.  Before I retired, with business travel, I was earning meaningful upgrades and freebies from my preferred airline.  After retirement, we were doing a couple international roundtrips per year and just couldn't get any real traction with airline frequent flyer programs. So we migrated away from a preferred airline to credit card points.  Now instead of going to my old favorite airline I go to the one that gives me the most bang for my CC points.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Of course I might have just a little conflict of interest.  Haha.

Me too.  I am not complaining regarding any lifetime benefits.  These loyalty benefits must pay off for the lines too and probably don't cost much at all.  One thing that I find fascinating is how hard the cruise lines promote status attainment. I guess it's just good marketing...

59 minutes ago, ldubs said:

After retirement, we were doing a couple international roundtrips per year and just couldn't get any real traction with airline frequent flyer programs. So we migrated away from a preferred airline to credit card points.  Now instead of going to my old favorite airline I go to the one that gives me the most bang for my CC points

This makes a lot of sense.  I have also thought about this as well but have so far stayed mostly with a single airline program and alliance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SelectSys said:

"Deserves" is kind of a strong word to me.  It is certainly nice to receive benefits for life, but this is simply a marketing decision made by the company and is pretty much unique to the cruise industry. 

I respectfully disagree.  If I have contributed handsomely over the many years to the growth and success of a cruise line (which I have) I feel completely justified in stating that I deserve the benefits I have earned over those years without expiration.  That carrot has been dangled in front of those of us who bought into the program over the number of years that we did that the benefit for doing so should not have an expiration date. Again, just my opinion.

And BTW, It ticked me off to no end when the primary airline that I had placed my travel with for my business over the years suddenly decided that the many miles I earned doing so would now have an expiration date. Basically, thanks for nothing!

1 minute ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I respectfully disagree. 

No worries.  

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

BTW, It ticked me off to no end when the primary airline that I had placed my travel with for my business over the years suddenly decided that the many miles I earned doing so would now have an expiration date.

I guess your airline goes by the adage, "What have you done for me lately?"  Part of the "fine print" on all these programs is that they can change at anytime.  

For what it's worth, my traditional airline suddenly introduced a new level of status that effectively devalued my "lifetime" status making it harder to get an upgrade and reduced the number of miles that I earn.  

• Like 1