Hotel Lancelot or Raffaello in Rome?

Mrsfrz

I'm trying to find a moderately priced hotel in Rome pre-cruise for three nights next April. I made reservations at each of these hotels and cannot decide which one is better, in service and location. Any suggestions? Many of the others listed in the hotel thread are already full, so I'm using Rick Steve's' book for ideas. 

12 hours ago, Mrsfrz said:

I'm trying to find a moderately priced hotel in Rome pre-cruise for three nights next April. I made reservations at each of these hotels and cannot decide which one is better, in service and location. Any suggestions? Many of the others listed in the hotel thread are already full, so I'm using Rick Steve's' book for ideas. 

The location of Hotel Lancelot is very nice, especially if your plans include seeing some of Rome's ancient sites -- very close to the Colosseum, Forum, Circus Maximus, Baths of Caracalla, Domus, Aurea etc. There are also decent restaurants in the area, as well as one of my favorite "lesser visited" sites, the Basilica of San Clemente. And my favorite museum, the Capitoline.  If you want to get to the Vatican easily, you are close to the Colosseo metro station (have to change at Termini). Or taxis are usually available at the Colosseo station as well.

I've also heard some positive comments from people who've stayed there.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about Hotel Raffaello other than its location (to me) is not as good as Lancelot's. It is closer to Termini (central train station) - not the prettiest area. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I loved Hotel Lancelot and am staying again if I keep my fall cruise plans.

SUPER friendly staff, great location, their breakfast was nice and they do offer dinner each night.  I ate in the hotel one evening and it was delightful.  Rooms are small if you book a regular one but then again, so are all rooms in Europe (or mostly  anyway)

I really do not like Rick Steves (I liked him before he was such a big "brand") but his tour group stayed at Hotel Lancelot and one evening they sat in the lobby/bar area singing and having beverages.  It was lots of fun.

• Thanks 1

I don't know anything about Hotel Rafaello.  But I stayed at the Lancelot for a couple nights post-cruise this past September.   The location was great, very close to the Colosseum, yet on a quiet street.   My solo room was tiny, which was not a surprise at all.  The A/C was robust, which was most appreciated.  

The dinner that the previous poster mentioned was served at a set time each evening (7:30) and had a set menu, no choices. The dinner menu was posted at the front desk every morning, so if it didn't appeal to you, there were many restaurants nearby. 

Dinner was served in a lovely outdoor courtyard and communally, at big tables.  The night I had the dinner, there was only one other person dining.   It could have been awkward, such as if he hadn't spoken English, but he did, and we had a pleasant conversation.  The food and wine were very good and reasonably priced at, I believe, €20.   Wine was included - an open bottle of red and an open bottle of white were at the table when were seated.  It was like a cruise dinner in that several courses were served one at a time with time in between courses for conversation.   I skipped dinner the 2nd night as I had a very early flight and didn't want to spend so much evening time in an extended dinner.

Breakfast was also communal, with only big round tables for seating.   Typical for Rick Steves - he's all about social interaction!   But not everyone wants to be social with strangers, especially at breakfast.  Some people may have things they would like to discuss privately with their traveling companions.   I would have preferred an assortment of big and small tables, but that wasn't the case for either dinner or breakfast.

Another quirk, which may be more common in Europe as I encountered it in a hotel in Paris last spring, is that you don't take your room key with you when you leave for the day.   You turn it in to the front desk, and then you ask for it when you return.   It was a physical key, and it had a big tag with the name of the hotel and my room number on it.   Once when I was waiting at the front desk that was momentarily unmanned, a couple came in, was too impatient to wait, and retrieved their key themselves from behind the counter.   It struck me as a security issue.   I may seem paranoid, but I am acutely attuned to security when traveling.  I much prefer modern electronic keys that do not display the room number, can be kept in my possession during my stay, and are re-programed after each guest.

I hope this helps, and I hope someone else can chime in about the Rafaello.  Have a great cruise!

Edited by Joanne G.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Joanne G. said:

Another quirk, which may be more common in Europe as I encountered it in a hotel in Paris last spring, is that you don't take your room key with you when you leave for the day.   You turn it in to the front desk, and then you ask for it when you return.   It was a physical key, and it had a big tag with the name of the hotel and my room number on it. 

This is definitely more common in Europe, particularly in hotels that are not part of a major chain (which are the ones I prefer). It has never bothered me but I agree the hotel should not leave them in a place that is so easily accessible.

Small solo rooms are also VERY common -- I have stayed in two where I could stand in the middle and touch the walls on either side (Barcelona and Paris). 

And finally, the communal dining thing is another thing you'll find in Europe. People (especially in cities) are not used to the kind of space or privacy that we are accustomed to in the US. As I once heard on a Rick Steves' Rome episode, Italians have no word for privacy!  I appreciate this sometimes when traveling alone and dining out in a restaurant. Italians seem to feel it is a crime against gastronomy to dine alone and have no one to discuss the food with, lol. Many times (since tables are close) I have been invited into conversations with others, to our mutual enjoyment.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

. . . Italians seem to feel it is a crime against gastronomy to dine alone and have no one to discuss the food with, lol. Many times (since tables are close) I have been invited into conversations with others, to our mutual enjoyment.

That's exactly what happened during my lunch in Rome upon arrival after my cruise.  An American couple was seated at the next table in the outdoor seating area, and we struck up a pleasant conversation.  But I am an introvert by nature, and I don't always want to make small talk with strangers.   I shared the information about the Lancelot just so others will know what to expect about the dining and can decide accordingly if it's for them. 

I have no problem with the tiny solo hotel rooms in Europe.  I have had them in Paris, in London, and now in Rome.  (And a couple in New York City.)   I actually like the option because of lower price, especially if it's for just a night or two pre- or post-cruise.   

I am a fan of Rick Steves' PBS show, his podcast, and his guidebooks for all kinds of practical information and tips.  But I have come to the conclusion that his preferred type of hotel - small, family owned, communal-style dining, maybe with the quirk about the key - isn't exactly for me.   I can tour ruins and historical sites all day, but I lean towards modern hotels, even if they are somewhat impersonal and lack local charm.  Personal preference!   

For my next stay in Rome, I will be at the Hoxton, but it's part of a Celebrity post-cruise package, so I didn't specifically choose it.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

I am a fan of Rick Steves' PBS show, his podcast, and his guidebooks for all kinds of practical information and tips.  But I have come to the conclusion that his preferred type of hotel - small, family owned, communal-style dining, maybe with the quirk about the key - isn't exactly for me.

Yeah, I've never had much luck with Rick's suggested hotels or restaurants (with one nice exception). He does create some good content, though, especially for those who like to DIY.

When I did my dinner at Lancelot, it was a lovely chicken cutlet, sides, dessert and pasta to start I think .  And MANY people were dining (many is relative of course, I'd say a dozen or so).  We didn't eat outside (may have been too hot) but it was really nice.  All spoke English so that was fabulous.  I loved that little hotel. 

Also, I may have been a bad guest and not turned in my key.  Oops, I didn't realize I should have done that but it all worked out.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/16/2023 at 11:52 AM, cruisemom42 said:

The location of Hotel Lancelot is very nice, especially if your plans include seeing some of Rome's ancient sites -- very close to the Colosseum, Forum, Circus Maximus, Baths of Caracalla, Domus, Aurea etc. There are also decent restaurants in the area, as well as one of my favorite "lesser visited" sites, the Basilica of San Clemente. And my favorite museum, the Capitoline.  If you want to get to the Vatican easily, you are close to the Colosseo metro station (have to change at Termini). Or taxis are usually available at the Colosseo station as well.

I've also heard some positive comments from people who've stayed there.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about Hotel Raffaello other than its location (to me) is not as good as Lancelot's. It is closer to Termini (central train station) - not the prettiest area. 

Could you share some of your favorite restaurants near Hotel Lancelot?  That is where we are staying in 2024 pre-cruise.  Thanks!

On 11/16/2023 at 1:18 PM, megr1125 said:

I loved Hotel Lancelot and am staying again if I keep my fall cruise plans.

SUPER friendly staff, great location, their breakfast was nice and they do offer dinner each night.  I ate in the hotel one evening and it was delightful.  Rooms are small if you book a regular one but then again, so are all rooms in Europe (or mostly  anyway)

I really do not like Rick Steves (I liked him before he was such a big "brand") but his tour group stayed at Hotel Lancelot and one evening they sat in the lobby/bar area singing and having beverages.  It was lots of fun.

We are staying at Hotel Lancelot pre-cruise.  Do you remember the approximate cost of the breakfasts or dinners?  I can't remember if the meals are included or not, but I think probably not.

18 hours ago, Lalof said:

We are staying at Hotel Lancelot pre-cruise.  Do you remember the approximate cost of the breakfasts or dinners?  I can't remember if the meals are included or not, but I think probably not.

I stayed at the Lancelot this past September. Breakfast was included.  Dinner was €20.  

19 hours ago, Lalof said:

Could you share some of your favorite restaurants near Hotel Lancelot?  That is where we are staying in 2024 pre-cruise.  Thanks!

Just a couple of blocks from your hotel on Via Ostilia are two restaurants I've enjoyed: Il Bocconcino and Contrario Vineria con Cucina.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at hotel Lancelot in 2012 and loved it.  We have booked to stay again in July.  It’s nice and close to the colosseum and many restaurants nearby.  One of our favorite is Naumachia which is close by and we have gone back there many times.  We caught a bus around the corner which took us to the Vatican then did a leisurely stroll back stopping at other sites along the way.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 12/27/2023 at 7:10 PM, Lalof said:

Breakfast was included. Dinner was, maybe 30 euro give or take?  It was delicious and it'll be something different (and a set menu) when served. 

There were several places to eat close by as well.  I went to one suggested by the hotel, but I can't remember the name. 

Edited by megr1125
  • Thanks 1