Just booked last minute cruise- have questions

Katie111

We just booked a Christmas Caribbean cruise on the Epic.  We have 3 kids, ages 21, 20 and 17.  We have one inside GTY cabin for me (mom) & 21 year old daughter and one balcony GTY cabin for Dad, and 2 sons (20 & 17).  We just got off a couple's cruise to Europe on RCL but have never cruised on NCL.  Very confused about the Free at Sea promotions. 

1) Drink package.  Understand it covers everything up to $15 for our 21 year old and us parents but does it include soft drinks and/or any specialty drinks for those under 21?

2) Internet package -is it 150 minutes for the entire cruise or per day?  It says it applies to the 1st and 2nd person in a stateroom.  Does that mean that one of my sons gets no free internet?  Can only one person in the stateroom be on at a time?  Does it tell you how many minutes you have left?  Do you keep your phone in airplane mode to use it?

3) Dining package & reservations- Looks like inside cabin just gets 1 specialty dining and the balcony gets 2.  Could we (the parents) use the second meal one night even though one of us is technically in the interior cabin?  Wondering if my husband could just show his sea pass for the 2 of us?  Also, can you wait in line for a specialty restaurant or are they all reservations?  Do any reservations open up once on board?  As you can imagine, not much left on the app at this point beside 9:30 pm.

4) When do people typically get their GTY room assignments?  

5)Shore excursion credit.  Is the $50 just for one person in the room or is it $50 per person?

5) What does the NCL cruise consultant do?  Booked two days ago and they've called me about 5 times already.  

Thanks so much!

Edited by Katie111

9 minutes ago, Katie111 said:

5) What does the NCL cruise consultant do?  Booked two days ago and they've called me about 5 times already. 

Answers every.single.question you just asked. Answer the phone, seriously.

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

1) Drink package: Includes a variety of spirits and cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to $15 USD retail price. Includes fountain soda, juice, and non-alcoholic beer

2)  it is for the whole cruise long. Anyone can use internet, you just need to share the username/password to log into wifi with your other people. only one person can be signed into wifi at the same time. When you log in and log out of the internet it will tell you how many minutes you left, how many you used  

4) GTY cabins can be assigned at any time between now and sail date

5) Shore Excursion credit is for the 1st person in the room

there is more information by reading the terms and conditions: https://www.ncl.com/about/terms-and-conditions/promotions 

One tip I will give especially with limited wifi on the cruise is download stuff ahead of time. Tell your kids to download a bunch of playlists onto their phone if they use Spotify and same goes for tv and movie from Netflix, prime, Apple TV etc. The free internet won’t be strong enough to do all those things anyways and it’s a waste of minutes. I just wait till the ship is in port to go on social media and post things. Also instead of emailing or texting pictures etc to each other while on the cruise you can “airdrop” or use other Bluetooth ways to share if your devices are compatible. I save my wifi minutes for sea days if I need to check something like emails or look something up online. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Katie111 said:

1) Drink package.  Understand it covers everything up to $15 for our 21 year old and us parents but does it include soft drinks and/or any specialty drinks for those under 21?

Your FAS adult drink package covers you and your adult daughter.  Your husband’s FAS package covers him and guest #2.  You will want yo change your boy to the soda package and add a soda psckage for the other. cAlternatively if you want yo allow your 20 y/o to drink you can keep the adult drink package snd fill out permission slip at guest services.

Internet package -is it 150 minutes for the entire cruise or per day?  It says it applies to the 1st and 2nd person in a stateroom.  Does that mean that one of my sons gets no free internet?  Can only one person in the stateroom be on at a time?  Does it tell you how many minutes you have left?  Do you keep your phone in airplane mode to use it?

150 minutes for cruise.  Anyone can use it but the login will be the last name and DOB along with the email of guest 1 or 2.  You have to logout every time you are finished using it.  It does keep track of minutes used.  You might want to consider at least one unlimited plan to share if your kids use a lot of screen time. 

Dining package & reservations- Looks like inside cabin just gets 1 specialty dining and the balcony gets 2.  Could we (the parents) use the second meal one night even though one of us is technically in the interior cabin?  Wondering if my husband could just show his sea pass for the 2 of us?  Also, can you wait in line for a specialty restaurant or are they all reservations?  Do any reservations open up once on board?  As you can imagine, not much left on the app at this point beside 9:30 pm.

Lots of reservations once on board, but make them as soon as you board. Ask once you get onboard where to make them.  Yes the one specialty dining can be used for you and hubby, just show his card.

5)Shore excursion credit.  Is the $50 just for one person in the room or is it $50 per person?

GTY assignments can happen anytime up to day of boarding…but typically before checkin at 21 days.

the $50 excursion credit is for Guest 1 in each cabin only.

if you haven’t spoke with the cruise consultant be sure you do…they may need info.

happy cruising.

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 1

@Katie111

You are lucky!!!   VBG

I think mine is only interested if he thinks he can make some money from my booking another cruise.   I cannot seem to get him to answer awkward questions nor look into problems nor requests to save me money!!

Just one clarification to one of the above comments.  You can change the FAS drink package to a soda package for one of the underage kids.  If you choose, you can sign a document giving the 20YO the ok to buy beer and wine.  But they cannot have the full drink package.  NCL does not allow this.  If you give them permission they will be charged for each beer or wine they order.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

Just one clarification to one of the above comments.  You can change the FAS drink package to a soda package for one of the underage kids.  If you choose, you can sign a document giving the 20YO the ok to buy beer and wine.  But they cannot have the full drink package.  NCL does not allow this.  If you give them permission they will be charged for each beer or wine they order.  

Good clarification around the under age drink package…especially the charge if they buy beer/wine.

19 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Good clarification around the under age drink package…especially the charge if they buy beer/wine.

Yeah.  We started with NCL when my son was 19.  He picked the line specifically because they allowed this.  He wanted to be able to go to he nightclubs at night.  I can’t blame him.  19 is an awkward age - especially on a ship.  They’re not children and want to be able to go to the nightclubs, which they can’t do unless they’re 21 or have parental permission,  The first night he bought 13 beers.  😳.  He said he was buying drinks for his new friends.  Told him to stop that.  NOW.  😂

• Haha 8

57 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

Yeah.  We started with NCL when my son was 19.  He picked the line specifically because they allowed this.  He wanted to be able to go to he nightclubs at night.  I can’t blame him.  19 is an awkward age - especially on a ship.  They’re not children and want to be able to go to the nightclubs, which they can’t do unless they’re 21 or have parental permission,  The first night he bought 13 beers.  😳.  He said he was buying drinks for his new friends.  Told him to stop that.  NOW.  😂

Thanks so much for the replies.  So if he wants to go into the nightclubs, I have to sign some sort of waiver, is that correct?  Do I just do it at guest services or can I do it ahead of time?  Are there bars where all 3 of them could be together at night?  Our RCL cruise had kids/teens in all the bars.  Is there any way to put a limit on how much your kids can charge on their card?  Not only for beer, but for everything?   

14 minutes ago, Katie111 said:

Thanks so much for the replies.  So if he wants to go into the nightclubs, I have to sign some sort of waiver, is that correct?  Do I just do it at guest services or can I do it ahead of time?  Are there bars where all 3 of them could be together at night?  Our RCL cruise had kids/teens in all the bars.  Is there any way to put a limit on how much your kids can charge on their card?  Not only for beer, but for everything?   

You have to do it onboard at Guest Services.  I believe the only bar onboard that has the age limit is the Bliss nightclub.  

Edited to add that I think there is a way to limit spending, but I’m not sure.  We never tried.  In retrospect, we probably should have.  😂

Edited by Russiamomm

9 hours ago, Katie111 said:

just to be clear, the waiver you'll sign is for the 20 YO to be able to drink beer and wine.  there is no waiver to get into the nightclub.  Your 17 YO will not be allowed to drink.  As for the soda package, whichever son is listed as passenger #2 with dad will get the soda package.  the other son will not have any type of drink package unless you  purchase it separately.  

12 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Yes the one specialty dining can be used for you and hubby, just show his card.

This is not true.  The husband's meal will be covered by his dining credit, but not both meals.  They will pay for the wife's meal.  Dad and the son listed as passenger #2 in the balcony cabin will be the only ones with the 2nd meal credit.  the best you could do is go to the sushi restaurant where you can get 4 items per dining credit, and share

Edited by dbrown84

Thanks for all the replies.  Just to be clear, I was not planning on allowing the 17 year old to drink, was just wondering if they could be together at night.  Hoping he meets some kids his own age as well but he may just want to hang with his siblings. 

15 hours ago, Katie111 said:

I’ve always allowed my kids charging privileges, from around 9 and up to 20 (I also signed the beer/wine waiver for 18 - 20). Never had an issue, I give them a (not generous) limit, and anything else they pay me back. You can access charges at any time. Heck they’re all authorized users on my credit card, and never had a problem, they pay me back for charges that I didn’t agree to pay for (but they always ask).

Just thinking about this again, so if we go to a specialty restaurant only 4 of will be covered for meals.  Is that correct?  So we'd have to pay for one meal?  Starting to feel like I should just drop this "perk" so I'm not paying gratuities on a meal we may never use. 

18 hours ago, Katie111 said:

We just booked a Christmas Caribbean cruise on the Epic.  We have 3 kids, ages 21, 20 and 17.  We have one inside GTY cabin for me (mom) & 21 year old daughter and one balcony GTY cabin for Dad, and 2 sons (20 & 17).  We just got off a couple's cruise to Europe on RCL but have never cruised on NCL.  Very confused about the Free at Sea promotions. 

2) Internet package -is it 150 minutes for the entire cruise or per day?  It says it applies to the 1st and 2nd person in a stateroom.  Does that mean that one of my sons gets no free internet?  Can only one person in the stateroom be on at a time?  Does it tell you how many minutes you have left?  Do you keep your phone in airplane mode to use it?

3) Dining package & reservations- Looks like inside cabin just gets 1 specialty dining and the balcony gets 2.  Could we (the parents) use the second meal one night even though one of us is technically in the interior cabin?  Wondering if my husband could just show his sea pass for the 2 of us?  Also, can you wait in line for a specialty restaurant or are they all reservations?  Do any reservations open up once on board?  As you can imagine, not much left on the app at this point beside 9:30 pm.

Thanks so much!

Wow, this is exactly why websites have a FAQ section. Literally every one of these questions has been asked and answered 1,000s of times. And yeah, the Cruise Consultant can answer all of them. (I'm not trying to pick on the OP, but a little Googling would have answered these questions, too.)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I’ve always allowed my kids charging privileges, from around 9 and up to 20 (I also signed the beer/wine waiver for 18 - 20). Never had an issue, I give them a (not generous) limit, and anything else they pay me back. You can access charges at any time. Heck they’re all authorized users on my credit card, and never had a problem, they pay me back for charges that I didn’t agree to pay for (but they always ask).

Two of my kids are great at this,my 20 year old, not so much.  He loves to spend $$.  If there's a free steak and an upcharge one, he'll choose the upcharge one even if they're identical.  And since he's a broke college kid, he's never going to pay me back.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Wow, this is exactly why websites have a FAQ section. Literallyasn every one of these questions has been asked and answered 1,000s of times. And yeah, the Cruise Consultant can answer all of them. (I'm not trying to pick on the OP, but a little Googling would have answered these questions, too.)

I did look at the NCL FAQ's and am in fact looking at the printout of it right now that I printed out and read before I posted.  Sorry, I was still confused.  And I've now learned a lot of new information by posting.  Things that I hadn't even thought about.  If you don't want to answer, you are welcome to scroll on by.  That's what I do when I don't want to answer someone's questions. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Katie111 said:

Just thinking about this again, so if we go to a specialty restaurant only 4 of will be covered for meals.  Is that correct?  So we'd have to pay for one meal?  Starting to feel like I should just drop this "perk" so I'm not paying gratuities on a meal we may never use. 

Sorry I gave you bum info about the sharing of meals.  I guess I confused it with Platinum meals (which 2nd guest is not specified).  

The Epic has a lot of free dining, the MDRs, buffet, O’Sheehans and Shanghai.  

13 minutes ago, Katie111 said:

Two of my kids are great at this,my 20 year old, not so much.  He loves to spend $$.  If there's a free steak and an upcharge one, he'll choose the upcharge one even if they're identical.  And since he's a broke college kid, he's never going to pay me back.  

I have a 20 year old like that (plus another 20 year old, 22, 25 and 27, three are currently broke college students), but he does pay me back when I Venmo request it. He’s a commuter, we own the car he uses, when it comes to money, mom doesn’t play! ETA he did go away to college freshman year with a whopping $10 in his account, he worked, but voted most likely to order DoorDash every day (even at family parties). He now works 30 hours a week while going to school, and spends a bit more responsibility I think, I hope.

Edited by mjkacmom

9 minutes ago, Katie111 said:

I did look at the NCL FAQ's and am in fact looking at the printout of it right now that I printed out and read before I posted.  Sorry, I was still confused.  And I've now learned a lot of new information by posting.  Things that I hadn't even thought about.  If you don't want to answer, you are welcome to scroll on by.  That's what I do when I don't want to answer someone's questions. 

NCL's website is by no means perfect, but it DOES explain how the $50 shore excursion credit works, as well as the drinks package and internet. I'm just saying a little reading on your part would have cleared up some of the confusion beforehand. Again, not trying to be mean (too often, people take offense on the internet when none is intended), just trying to help you find the info on your own for next time. 🙂 PS: have a great time on the Epic, we enjoyed that ship a lot last December when we did a Transatlantic on her. I'd be interested to see what you think about the layout of the cabins. It's a bit,er, sui generis. 😉

Edited by DCGuy64

Two more questions-

This is a surprise trip for my kids.  Based on the odd bathroom layout, I booked mom & daughter together and dad & boys together.  If the kids all decide they want to stay in one room, should I call and switch that (will they even allow me to do that) or can they just stay in one room without notifying anyone?  They would take the balcony room that sleeps 3.

We did the GTY rooms as that was all that was left.  We have one interior and one balcony.  Just got our room numbers and we are on opposite ends of the ship, 3 floors apart.  Anyone ever have luck getting them to change their rooms with a GTY room?  Not really a big deal and I was well aware when I booked that we probably would not be near each other, but it would be nice to be a little closer.  

12 minutes ago, Katie111 said:

Two more questions-

This is a surprise trip for my kids.  Based on the odd bathroom layout, I booked mom & daughter together and dad & boys together.  If the kids all decide they want to stay in one room, should I call and switch that (will they even allow me to do that) or can they just stay in one room without notifying anyone?  They would take the balcony room that sleeps 3.

We did the GTY rooms as that was all that was left.  We have one interior and one balcony.  Just got our room numbers and we are on opposite ends of the ship, 3 floors apart.  Anyone ever have luck getting them to change their rooms with a GTY room?  Not really a big deal and I was well aware when I booked that we probably would not be near each other, but it would be nice to be a little closer.  

I've done it on other cruise lines--never hurts to ask.  Call your consultant.