Pre-existing Condition Clause/Waiver

Smitheroo

I have read the TripInsuranceStore.com website , lots of good information there.  However.... reading about pre-existing conditions and the various ifs, ands, or buts- it is ridiculous.(that's the way it is, I dont  mean the TripinsuranceStore is ridiculous)   The part about you having to be "medically able to travel"  on the day you purchase travel insurance.  What exactly does that mean?  Not in ICU?  Not in surgery today?  The info says your doctor must agree (in retrospect as there is no official form)  that you are medically stable to travel on the day you purchase the insurance (when you are being treated for a condition that will be considered "pre-existing".)   So, are you supposed to get his approval?  And what if he says "sure".  Is he going to remember that when the insurance company comes inquiring if I was medically stable.?   And the insurance company always believes the doctor.  Even when he's wrong? (he cant remember saying sure)   I can sort of understand this if you have a date for surgery before the cruise but just seeing a doctor for ongoing treatment for a condition that will be labeled pre-existing by the insurance company?  No activity restrictions have been given. I'm supposed to ask him if he approves a cruise for me in 6 weeks? I dont see how he could answer that accurately, 

I've heard people say they dont bother with trip cancellation insurance and self insure. or Medical is the really important part and they'll just eat the loss of the trip.  Well, that really depends on your individual situation but for a single traveler on a cheap cruise, (under $1000) I think I'm just going to take a chance and go with GeoBlue for medical.  The only real fear I have is travel in January (my cruise) can by iffy with the weather. Otherwise, I think I'll take my chances Maybe I'll take out insurance with the airline for that part. Unless someone can give me a good explanation of what all of this pre-existing condition stuff really means.  I have sent in a inquiry by email  to the TripInsuranceStore  but havent received a response yet.  

Yes, this is exasperating. I am fully aware of the health care field so am able to recognize the "medically stable" question as having a "maybe" as the answer

16 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

The part about you having to be "medically able to travel"  on the day you purchase travel insurance.  What exactly does that mean? 

I'm pretty sure you're going to need a letter from your doctor (attending physician) clearly stating that in his/her opinion you are 'medically fit to travel' when you apply for this special coverage/waiver.

46 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I have read the TripInsuranceStore.com website , lots of good information there.  However.... reading about pre-existing conditions and the various ifs, ands, or buts- it is ridiculous.(that's the way it is, I dont  mean the TripinsuranceStore is ridiculous)   The part about you having to be "medically able to travel"  on the day you purchase travel insurance.  What exactly does that mean?  Not in ICU?  Not in surgery today?  The info says your doctor must agree (in retrospect as there is no official form)  that you are medically stable to travel on the day you purchase the insurance (when you are being treated for a condition that will be considered "pre-existing".)   So, are you supposed to get his approval?  And what if he says "sure".  Is he going to remember that when the insurance company comes inquiring if I was medically stable.?   And the insurance company always believes the doctor.  Even when he's wrong? (he cant remember saying sure)   I can sort of understand this if you have a date for surgery before the cruise but just seeing a doctor for ongoing treatment for a condition that will be labeled pre-existing by the insurance company?  No activity restrictions have been given. I'm supposed to ask him if he approves a cruise for me in 6 weeks? I dont see how he could answer that accurately...

We always get coverage with the waiver of pre-existing condition exclusion.

And in general, there simply wouldn't be any issue about "fit to travel".  We are going about our daily routines, etc.

However, there was a time when this was a possible issue.

DH was recovering from a medical emergency that had caused us to totally cancel a land and cruise trip, and less than 2 weeks before our planned departure.  (This was the first time we got travel insurance, thank goodness.  We got it from Steve at TIS.)

Anyway, a couple of weeks later, I called him to get coverage for a replacement trip.

He mentioned our claim for DH's medical emergency, and asked "Is <name> fit to travel NOW?"

Me:  "No, but he'll be completely ready to travel by <future month>!"

Steve then reminded me of the "fit to travel ON the day the coverage starts", so... NOPE, no insurance for us that day.

We waited several weeks, and when his physician said he was "all clear", I asked, "Is he 'fit to travel' today?"  The answer was "Yes."

So I asked him to write that down on his letterhead or an Rx form, something official, and he did.  That way, IF there was ever a question... we'd be covered.

We then went home, made a reservation and paid a deposit, and started the travel insurance for the amount of the deposit THAT SAME DAY.

We upped the coverage as we made more non-refundable payments, as we always do.

All set! 

We took the trip and had a wonderful time, with no need to use the insurance. 🙂 

GC

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

And in general, there simply wouldn't be any issue about "fit to travel".  We are going about our daily routines, etc.

DH was recovering from a medical emergency that had caused us to totally cancel a land and cruise trip, and less than 2 weeks before our planned departure.  (This was the first time we got travel insurance, thank goodness.  We got it from Steve at TIS.)

Anyway, a couple of weeks later, I called him to get coverage for a replacement trip.

He mentioned our claim for DH's medical emergency, and asked "Is <name> fit to travel NOW?"

Steve then reminded me of the "fit to travel ON the day the coverage starts", so... NOPE, no insurance for us that day.

We waited several weeks, and when his physician said he was "all clear", I asked, "Is he 'fit to travel' today?"  The answer was "Yes."

So I asked him to write that down on his letterhead or an Rx form, something official, and he did.  That way, IF there was ever a question... we'd be covered.

We then went home, made a reservation and paid a deposit, and started the travel insurance for the amount of the deposit THAT SAME DAY.

All set! 

GC

That's helpful information. Picture this scenario:   You have several pre-existing conditions going on at all times. Often have advice, change of  treatments, change in meds so chances are good it could happen in the look back period, or maybe not.   I think I'm able to travel now. (when I am considering buying the insurance)  I cant see calling up my doctor and asking him. In the situation you describe I can.  I'm probably over thinking it.   I think I'm just going to take the chance I wont have a big change (none of this ever keeps me from working, or traveling in the past  before I ever thought of travel insurance) but the potential is there.   or there wont be a blizzard or NCL wont cancel the cruise. I do have medical, I know that's very important but all this jumping through hoops is tiring.  If this was July I'd be worrying a lot less. I also dont have expensive flights or hotels. So I would lose about $1200 

3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

I'm pretty sure you're going to need a letter from your doctor (attending physician) clearly stating that in his/her opinion you are 'medically fit to travel' when you apply for this special coverage/waiver.

The way you put it sounds clear.  Okay, I'll take my chances this time as its getting too close to the deadline for the "sensitive time" period.   I'd go with a policy with trip cancelllation and medical expenses and not worry and it would still cover everything unless the pre-existing condition were involved *except* that when medical is included in the policy, then you'd better follow all the rules for pre-existing conditions if you expect coverage of medical expenses. Sure, you're medical expense might not have anything to do with your pre-existing condition but I wouldnt want to have to depend on that.  I was under the impression that GeoBlue didnt require this "fit to travel" but I could be wrong. I will definitely look into that. 

21 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

That's helpful information. Picture this scenario:   You have several pre-existing conditions going on at all times. Often have advice, change of  treatments, change in meds so chances are good it could happen in the look back period, or maybe not.   I think I'm able to travel now. (when I am considering buying the insurance)  I cant see calling up my doctor and asking him. In the situation you describe I can.  I'm probably over thinking it.   I think I'm just going to take the chance I wont have a big change (none of this ever keeps me from working, or traveling in the past  before I ever thought of travel insurance) but the potential is there.   or there wont be a blizzard or NCL wont cancel the cruise. I do have medical, I know that's very important but all this jumping through hoops is tiring.  If this was July I'd be worrying a lot less. I also dont have expensive flights or hotels. So I would lose about $1200 

Added:  I just re-read GeoBlue's Voyager CHoice plan.  It make no mention of pre-existing conditions other than they are covered like any other situation and I think this is because GeoBlue Voyager Choice is a *secondary* payer.   I think. I will be making a couple of calls tomorrow. I made an inquiry to the TripInsuranceStore on their website 2 days ago and no response yet.  You know, all of this is taking the fun out of cruising for me. 

3 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

All set! 

GC

I just found this on the internet, put out by insurance people.  Either I'm completely confused or this information is wrong.  I thought that a pre-existing condition waiver *eliminated * the look back period (6 months or more depending on the insurer)  I will attach it and you can read it , please tell me what you think it means. 

FireShot Capture 380 - What are travel insurance pre existing conditions_ - Insurance Busine_ - www.insurancebusinessmag.com.png

3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

???

At least for the type of insurance we get, it's not really a "special coverage".

The waiver of the pre-existing condition exclusion is automatic for anyone who starts the insurance (covers deposit plus any other non-refundable payments to date) within the 10-20 days of the first payment.  (Timing is state dependent.)

And yes, you must be "fit to travel".  So don't start the process on a day when you are sick.

We aren't aware of any need to have a letter for every time one starts an insurance policy if everything is routine.  It doesn't have anything to do with pre-existing conditions or changes to medications, etc.  That's the point of the waiver that is included with the regular policy.

We have had quite a few claims, most due to medical problems (but one because a flight home was cancelled).  We've *never* been asked about whether we were "fit to travel" when we started the policy.  And I don't remember reading about anyone who was asked...

You seem to be overthinking this.  Or do you have some experience that suggests this is an issue?

Hopefully Steve will respond to this concern of yours.  Or someone could email him directly to ask about this if worried about it.

GC

4 hours ago, d9704011 said:

I now get it that *this* is something that needs to be done *before* you start booking cruises. I think I'm going to use up my cruise certificates and then quit cruising and go back to my road expeditions in the US.  This is killing the fun.  I have 3 doctors involved in 1 pre-existing condition.  Just deciding on one of them is giving me anxiety. Yet many many people have pre-existing conditions, especially when they are older, and I dont hear a lot of talk about this, not even on forums. some yes 

2 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I just found this on the internet, put out by insurance people.  Either I'm completely confused or this information is wrong.  I thought that a pre-existing condition waiver *eliminated * the look back period (6 months or more depending on the insurer)  I will attach it and you can read it , please tell me what you think it means. 

FireShot Capture 380 - What are travel insurance pre existing conditions_ - Insurance Busine_ - www.insurancebusinessmag.com.png

There are different types of policies.

Obviously the above discussion is for a policy that does *not* have the same waiver as we have been discussing.  That's the *point* of the waiver!  One does NOT need to deal with whether there has been a change in medication or any look-back period!

This is why it is so important to read the terms of *your* specific policy...  It doesn't matter what the terms are of *other* policies.

But we *ALWAYS* purchase our travel insurance from a broker (Steve, of TIS in our case).  They can help with any issues or questions like this, and help a client to get the most appropriate policy for their specific situation.

GC

4 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

???

At least for the type of insurance we get, it's not really a "special coverage".

The waiver of the pre-existing condition exclusion is automatic for anyone who starts the insurance (covers deposit plus any other non-refundable payments to date) within the 10-20 days of the first payment.  (Timing is state dependent.)

And yes, you must be "fit to travel".  So don't start the process on a day when you are sick.

We aren't aware of any need to have a letter for every time one starts an insurance policy if everything is routine.  It doesn't have anything to do with pre-existing conditions or changes to medications, etc.  That's the point of the waiver that is included with the regular policy.

We have had quite a few claims, most due to medical problems (but one because a flight home was cancelled).  We've *never* been asked about whether we were "fit to travel" when we started the policy.  And I don't remember reading about anyone who was asked...

You seem to be overthinking this.  Or do you have some experience that suggests this is an issue?

Hopefully Steve will respond to this concern of yours.  Or someone could email him directly to ask about this if worried about it.

GC

GC, who are you responding to?   It looks like the other person but some of your response looks like it fits my concerns.  I am going to call the Store tomorrow because they have not responded to my email inquiry. And being that it is Friday and my "sensitive period" is almost over its too late to consult my doctor, after i figure out which one.  I can see that this would not nearly be the probem it is for me if the letter from the doctor is obtained first and *then* one starts looking at cruises.

1 minute ago, Smitheroo said:

I now get it that *this* is something that needs to be done *before* you start booking cruises. I think I'm going to use up my cruise certificates and then quit cruising and go back to my road expeditions in the US.  This is killing the fun.  I have 3 doctors involved in 1 pre-existing condition.  Just deciding on one of them is giving me anxiety. Yet many many people have pre-existing conditions, especially when they are older, and I dont hear a lot of talk about this, not even on forums. some yes 

That is correct.

DH and I are, yes... "geezers" (or maybe "early geezers"?).  

Yup, we have some pre-existing conditions, and we certainly each take a variety of medications.  And those medications may change sometimes.  None of that matters for the type of policy that we get.

What matters is YOUR policy, not what other types of policies are "out there".

GC

4 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Obviously the above discussion is for a policy that does *not* have the same waiver as we have been discussing.  That's the *point* of the waiver!  One does NOT need to deal with whether there has been a change in medication or any look-back period!

This is why it is so important to read the terms of *your* specific policy...  It doesn't matter what the terms are of *other* policies.

But we *ALWAYS* purchase our travel insurance from a broker (Steve, of TIS in our case).  They can help with any issues or questions like this, and help a client to get the most appropriate policy for their specific situation.

GC

5 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

GC

But the snippet I attached is talking about obtaining a pre-existing condition waiver.  Your doctor needs to agree you are fit to travel *and* that there have been no changes during the look back period.  I was under the impression that the waiver eliminates considering the look back period  as long as your doctor agrees you are fit to travel on the say you purchase the policy.  Maybe this is old information as is often the case on the Internet.   I dont know why this is printed in bold but I like it.

Just now, Smitheroo said:

But the snippet I attached is talking about obtaining a pre-existing condition waiver.  Your doctor needs to agree you are fit to travel *and* that there have been no changes during the look back period.  I was under the impression that the waiver eliminates considering the look back period  as long as your doctor agrees you are fit to travel on the say you purchase the policy.  Maybe this is old information as is often the case on the Internet.   I dont know why this is printed in bold but I like it.

I *seriously* doubt that the description you posted applied to ALL travel insurance policies.

I KNOW it doesn't apply to any policy we've ever had.

What matters are the terms of the SPECIFIC policy that YOU get.

I'm going to stop here.  Good luck.

GC

5 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

That is correct.

DH and I are, yes... "geezers" (or maybe "early geezers"?).  

Yup, we have some pre-existing conditions, and we certainly each take a variety of medications.  And those medications may change sometimes.  None of that matters for the type of policy that we get.

What matters is YOUR policy, not what other types of policies are "out there".

GC

No, it doesnt matter for the type of policy you get because you always get a pre-existing condition waiver. I understand that.   I just dont hear a lot of discussion like this on the forums. I do hear some. 

1 minute ago, GeezerCouple said:

I *seriously* doubt that the description you posted applied to ALL travel insurance policies.

I KNOW it doesn't apply to any policy we've ever had.

What matters are the terms of the SPECIFIC policy that YOU get.

I'm going to stop here.  Good luck.

GC

One has to start somewhere and I decided to google "what does it mean to be fit to travel for trip insurance" and that snippet is what came up (part of a much longer article)   Even before consulting the TripInsuranceStore you need to know what questions to ask.   I am guessing this is old information that has never been revised. Just like Steve has the 10 day "look see" period for GeoBlue which isnt  the case now. The TripInsuranceStore hasnt had the information revised yet (Steve told me that).  I know what I have decided.  1) I will follow through with this insurance stuff with The Trip Insurance Store for my upcoming cruise   2) I will use up my certificates and go to back to my road trips in the US because this is starting to be not too much fun and 3) give up on these forums.  Everyone has to start somewhere and there will be questions.  By definition , forum means discussion.Maybe a better title would be Insurance Question and Answer.  I dont know, I'm just frustrated. 

5 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

One has to start somewhere and I decided to google "what does it mean to be fit to travel for trip insurance" and that snippet is what came up (part of a much longer article)   Even before consulting the TripInsuranceStore you need to know what questions to ask.   I am guessing this is old information that has never been revised. Just like Steve has the 10 day "look see" period for GeoBlue which isnt  the case now. The TripInsuranceStore hasnt had the information revised yet (Steve told me that).  I know what I have decided.  1) I will follow through with this insurance stuff with The Trip Insurance Store for my upcoming cruise   2) I will use up my certificates and go to back to my road trips in the US because this is starting to be not too much fun and 3) give up on these forums.  Everyone has to start somewhere and there will be questions.  By definition , forum means discussion.Maybe a better title would be Insurance Question and Answer.  I dont know, I'm just frustrated. 

Hi Smitheroo,

> The TripInsuranceStore hasn't had the information revised yet (Steve told me that).

I updated the Geo Blue info a few days ago. I mentioned in on another thread.

Steve Dasseos

9 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

I have read the TripInsuranceStore.com website , lots of good information there.  However.... reading about pre-existing conditions and the various ifs, ands, or buts- it is ridiculous.(that's the way it is, I dont  mean the TripinsuranceStore is ridiculous)   The part about you having to be "medically able to travel"  on the day you purchase travel insurance.  What exactly does that mean?  Not in ICU?  Not in surgery today?  The info says your doctor must agree (in retrospect as there is no official form)  that you are medically stable to travel on the day you purchase the insurance (when you are being treated for a condition that will be considered "pre-existing".)   So, are you supposed to get his approval?  And what if he says "sure".  Is he going to remember that when the insurance company comes inquiring if I was medically stable.?   And the insurance company always believes the doctor.  Even when he's wrong? (he cant remember saying sure)   I can sort of understand this if you have a date for surgery before the cruise but just seeing a doctor for ongoing treatment for a condition that will be labeled pre-existing by the insurance company?  No activity restrictions have been given. I'm supposed to ask him if he approves a cruise for me in 6 weeks? I dont see how he could answer that accurately, 

I've heard people say they dont bother with trip cancellation insurance and self insure. or Medical is the really important part and they'll just eat the loss of the trip.  Well, that really depends on your individual situation but for a single traveler on a cheap cruise, (under $1000) I think I'm just going to take a chance and go with GeoBlue for medical.  The only real fear I have is travel in January (my cruise) can by iffy with the weather. Otherwise, I think I'll take my chances Maybe I'll take out insurance with the airline for that part. Unless someone can give me a good explanation of what all of this pre-existing condition stuff really means.  I have sent in a inquiry by email  to the TripInsuranceStore  but havent received a response yet.  

Yes, this is exasperating. I am fully aware of the health care field so am able to recognize the "medically stable" question as having a "maybe" as the answer

Hi Smitheroo,

> The part about you having to be "medically able to travel"  on the day you purchase travel insurance.  What exactly does that mean?

Here's what it means:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/what-is-medically-stable/

Steve Dasseos

5 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Smitheroo,

> The TripInsuranceStore hasn't had the information revised yet (Steve told me that).

I updated the Geo Blue info a few days ago. I mentioned in on another thread.

Steve Dasseos

Steve, the reason that came up was because I had found the article that I attached on "fit to travel"  and it doesnt seem accurate at all.  I thought maybe it was a similar situation where it was old information that must hadnt been updated.

Did you see what I attached to Geezer's ?  seems completely wrong about the purpose of the pre-existing condition waiver ?

5 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Smitheroo,

> The part about you having to be "medically able to travel"  on the day you purchase travel insurance.  What exactly does that mean?

Here's what it means:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/what-is-medically-stable/

Steve Dasseos

Yes, I have read the explanation.  What I'm left wondering is just how being fit to travel on one day   has any bearing on a cruise booked in 2 years?

4 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

Yes, I have read the explanation.  What I'm left wondering is just how being fit to travel on one day   has any bearing on a cruise booked in 2 years?

Not much, but this is about qualifying for insurance coverage, not the planned travel.

19 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Not much, but this is about qualifying for insurance coverage, not the planned travel.

But the insurance is being purchased exclusively for the planned travel, no other reason.  I dont see how stating that someone can travel on July 15th (an example) has any bearing on a cruise the following May 15th, the cruise that the policy is being bought for.  Doesnt make an ounce of sense 

58 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

But the insurance is being purchased exclusively for the planned travel, no other reason.  I dont see how stating that someone can travel on July 15th (an example) has any bearing on a cruise the following May 15th, the cruise that the policy is being bought for.  Doesnt make an ounce of sense 

All I tell you is the insurance (especially the medically fit to travel part) is about you and your health the day you are purchasing it, not the travel date and destination.

• Like 2

When I think of "Fit to Travel", I'm reminded of that great movie called Bucket List with Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson where both characters are dying from some medical illness.

Fortunately Jacks character has more money than any one person needs, he can afford to self-insure, and they travel to some amazing places. 

Well, if that was one of us, we would probably not be able to purchase travel insurance because upon the review of any claim, it would be denied because we were most likely not deemed fit to travel.

17 hours ago, d9704011 said:

All I tell you is the insurance (especially the medically fit to travel part) is about you and your health the day you are purchasing it, not the travel date and destination.

Hi d9704011,

You are completely correct - it only refers to the day you buy the policy.

Whatever happens in the future is completely unknown and has no bearing on one's ability to buy the coverage today.

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1