Texting with iMessage on wifi?

wesnliz

34 minutes ago, five. said:

Supposedly you can actually send iMessages with no plan at all. I plan to test that out in a week. 

This is true. Sent iMessages just being connected to the wifi but no internet plan. Worked on the Celebration, Vista, Glory and Venezia. Just note it will only work for text and not photos.

41 minutes ago, Itried4498 said:

That’s not true.  Sometimes iMessages occasionally come through, sometimes more often than others, but there’s absolutely no trick to having 100% success.  If you need that service you cannot rely on that.

I never had an issue with iMessage on 4 ships. Maybe it was interrupted during the times you were not connected to the wifi just like when you have the internet plan and the wifi craps out?

2 minutes ago, Riles34 said:

I never had an issue with iMessage on 4 ships. Maybe it was interrupted during the times you were not connected to the wifi just like when you have the internet plan and the wifi craps out?

It works intermittently for me, sometimes not at all.  Therese’s tons of threads on this, most people have the same experience as me.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wesnliz said:

We prepaid for the premium internet, I seem to be getting conflicting information - will I be able to send texts via iMessage with this plan?

And to add, IMs are possible with all 3 internet plans. The step up from Social to Value adds in the full internet thus giving one access to email if that's important to anyone.

12 hours ago, five. said:

Supposedly you can actually send iMessages with no plan at all. I plan to test that out in a week. 

11 hours ago, Riles34 said:

This is true. Sent iMessages just being connected to the wifi but no internet plan. Worked on the Celebration, Vista, Glory and Venezia. Just note it will only work for text and not photos.

This is confusing.  How can you send iMessages, with WiFi, while on the ship without the Internet plan.  You have to have a plan to get thr WiFi.  Correct?

Edited by Iamthesea

4 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

This is confusing.  How can you send iMessages, with WiFi, while on the ship without the Internet plan.  You have to have a plan to get thr WiFi.  Correct?

When you connect to WiFi for access to Carnival’s app, SOMETIMES notifications including iMessages come through.  For me, it’s worked intermintently but on some cruises it didn’t work at all.  Most everybody reports a similar experience.

When it comes to paying $20/day for WiFi I’m a cheap mofo and if there was a trick to getting consistent free iMessage access I would’ve learned it.  Alas, there’s not.

Edited by Itried4498
  • Like 2

I also saw this setting mentioned on another thread to be aware of:

On 10/2/2023 at 2:14 PM, mpacker said:

On our last cruise a lot of people were having issues on iphones.  it was because they were using private relay inside of icloud.  it was basically trying to route everything through apple.   i finally explained this to GS and "they" started fixing everyones issues 🙂

• Like 1