Jim_Iain Live - 2nd Half World Cruise - B2B Singapore to Down Under 11/25 – 12/21

Jim_Iain

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

David knew immediately.    Didn't realize you were cruising so much.  We were all such babies when I first met you. 

Iain's first guess was Jen but  said she's not a Ginger.    My first guess was Kevin's Wife - Roz wasn't it.     So I did meet you on my first trip to Australia. 

You know exactly who I was talking about ---- Super Twink. 

Well done Iain! I haven't seen David in 20 years and when I last saw you, you were working for Maxtor. So many memories!

I was looking for information on Ponant on Cruise Critic and a post caught my eye which said Jim_Iain...I knew immediately it had to be you and Iain so I stalked the live of your recent Ponant cruise. I'm just back from a New Guinea cruise on Ponant and thanks to your status match post, I'm now a Grand Admiral😂 My next Ponant cruise is the Kimberley next year.

Cruise Critic is a small world!

Lots of love to you, Iain, David, Robert.

Jennifer xx

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wookie01 said:

The downside (about the only one 😉 ) to living in Australia, everywhere else is sooo far away 😉

That's what David and Robert say.    They remind us of now we get a taste what they have to do every time they travel. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, verizon said:

Tallest hotel in South East Asia 

I love the restaurant at 68 floor (I think)

have booked the harbor view room at US 470/night with breakfast included 

Iain absolutely hates hights but I usually ask for the highest floor possible.  

At $470 I hope they include a bottle of Dom with that breakfast. 

1 hour ago, ging466 said:

Well done Iain! I haven't seen David in 20 years and when I last saw you, you were working for Maxtor. So many memories!

I was looking for information on Ponant on Cruise Critic and a post caught my eye which said Jim_Iain...I knew immediately it had to be you and Iain so I stalked the live of your recent Ponant cruise. I'm just back from a New Guinea cruise on Ponant and thanks to your status match post, I'm now a Grand Admiral😂 My next Ponant cruise is the Kimberley next year.

Cruise Critic is a small world!

Lots of love to you, Iain, David, Robert.

Jennifer xx

Jennie -   Message me -  my email is a link in my signature.   David said he would really love to reconnect with you.   He said he really misses you and lost contact with you.    Your ears must have been burning as we were talking about you at lunch an remembering times past.  

His acceptance of technology has only marginally improved.  I'm sure you know only too well.  

• Like 1

11/23/2023 -    Happy Thanksgiving!   I must be brain dead -  My daughter asked me what time it was and I said 8AM tomorrow.    She wished me a Happy Turkey day.... took me a minute to realize what day it was.   Duuhhhhh

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Had a fantastic sleep last night.     After being up since 3:30 AM I was going strong through dinner.   We went to bed at 9:30 and put on Jeopardy on my Roku.    I decided to take a Melatonin and a Benadryl .    As soon as my head hit the pillow I was out.   I didn't even hear the first question.   I was able to sleep until 6:30.    

We made plans that today we were going to visit the  Singapore Botanical Garden - a world heritage site that dates back 150 years.  We walked back over to Burgis and caught the MRT -   About $1.00      I took the advise of someone on our Roll Call and didn't get a MRT pass.     All you have to do is tag on and tag off using Apple Pay or a Credit Card.

Another money saving tip -   Check on Senior Discounts -  Over 60 got us into the Botanic Garden for S$3.00  each vs I think it was S$15.00

• Like 12

Tons of construction but lots of art to enjoy along the way

IMG_0423.thumb.jpeg.c04f5e9679ab6ba8080f29941f3bacb4.jpeg

In the middle of all the Steel and Glass buildings is a real Gem.  An art nouveau building that is my favorite in Sinapore.

Parkview Square is an office building and located in the Downtown Core  It is situated along North Bridge Road, and is near the major commercial hub at Marina Centre. It is next to Bugis MRT station, Bugis Junction, and The Gateway, and straddles the Rochor Road and Ophir Road corridor.

IMG_0424.thumb.jpeg.a812e355addcf4904e7017d529c0168a.jpeg

IMG_0425.thumb.jpeg.33ced399703422a29b4c0cb6ebe0dd3a.jpeg

IMG_0427.thumb.jpeg.279059d78fbe49e9a03a0bd8cee745d2.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

The Singapore Botanic Gardens is the first and only tropical botanic garden on the UNESCO’s World Heritage List. It is the first in Asia and the third botanic gardens inscribed in the world following Orto botanico di Padova and the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.

Although the Singapore Botanic Gardens was established in 1859, its origins can be traced to 1822 when Stamford Raffles proposed the allocation of a 19-hectare (47 ac) site for the establishment of a botanical garden on Government Hill (now known as Fort Canning Hill), where he resided.

IMG_0428.jpeg

IMG_0429.jpeg

IMG_0432.jpeg

IMG_0435.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 14

Somehow we got separated in the park.    I could see using FindMy App that Iain and Rober took a different turn than us and about 1/2 mile away.    My text to and phone calls weren't getting through so finally got a message to Robert.   

David and I said screw it and used the ride share app GRAB.   Grab is a huge rideshare and purchased Uber Singapore so Uber no longer exists here.    We had a cab pick us up within 5 minutes.    

We were planning on doing Dum Sum at Bugis for lunch but somewhere in translation we were taken to a different address.    I eventually got a text though to Robert and they were able to catch up.    They were soaked to the bone, while we were fresh as daisies sitting sipping Lime drinks. 

I had to pick some things up at the stores so we are back at the hotel.  

What's up next ----????

Meeting for cocktails at 5:30 and then to dinner.  We found a Turkish place on the edge of Old India .   While David and Robert love Indian -   we are not big fans.    I can just hear all the hisses and boos   from many of you.  

After dinner -  of to the Mini - double bill of Opera for Mascagni's Cavalleria Rusticana and Leoncavallo's Pagiliacci.    I booked this 3 months ago.

cav-pag_SISTIC-adaptations_sistic-ig-fb.thumb.png.4c0567f0eabf818217ae6ecf09cad759.png

• Like 15

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Somehow we got separated in the park.    I could see using FindMy App that Iain and Rober took a different turn than us and about 1/2 mile away.    My text to and phone calls weren't getting through so finally got a message to Robert.   

David and I said screw it and used the ride share app GRAB.   Grab is a huge rideshare and purchased Uber Singapore so Uber no longer exists here.    We had a cab pick us up within 5 minutes.    

We were planning on doing Dum Sum at Bugis for lunch but somewhere in translation we were taken to a different address.    I eventually got a text though to Robert and they were able to catch up.    They were soaked to the bone, while we were fresh as daisies sitting sipping Lime drinks. 

I had to pick some things up at the stores so we are back at the hotel.  

What's up next ----????

Meeting for cocktails at 5:30 and then to dinner.  We found a Turkish place on the edge of Old India .   While David and Robert love Indian -   we are not big fans.    I can just hear all the hisses and boos   from many of you.  

After dinner -  of to the Mini - double bill of Opera for Mascagni's Cavalleria Rusticana and Leoncavallo's Pagiliacci.    I booked this 3 months ago.

cav-pag_SISTIC-adaptations_sistic-ig-fb.thumb.png.4c0567f0eabf818217ae6ecf09cad759.png

wow..what a treat!

btw, ur  new phone seems to be working quite well for photos.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, verizon said:

Tallest hotel in South East Asia 

I love the restaurant at 68 floor (I think)

have booked the harbor view room at US 470/night with breakfast included 

In 2015, we had dinner at the restaurant there.  It was great - but I'm not sure it's the same name now.

8 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Iain absolutely hates hights but I usually ask for the highest floor possible.  

At $470 I hope they include a bottle of Dom with that breakfast. 

We have Marriotts booked in March for around 438 a night - but that's Singapore dollars I hope.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 7:03 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Good clue.   It is by default saving in HFIC and 24MP.     Initially I just changed to Most Compatible.    If that doesn’t work will chant 24MP to 12Mp

Did you get your photo problem solved? If not, try turning off the “live photo” setting in the camera app. I think that will allow the  the photos to be saved as a JPEG. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, verizon said:

You can’t get much with 470 in Singapore 

I was able to book Pan Pacific Service Suite for $256 (S$343) US per night via Expedia.   I did however book it about 9 months in advance and prepaid.   Just in case for the special rate I also bought Expedia cancellation  insurance included in the price.

10 hours ago, hcat said:

wow..what a treat!

btw, ur  new phone seems to be working quite well for photos.

Yea.. love the new 5X telephoto.   I'm still tweaking the setting.   Posting on CC pictures were still coming out black but I think I finally found the setting.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rocky4 said:

It is going to be fun to follow along.  We were on the Edge in February 2023 (2nd time) and will be on the Ascent in February 2024.  Have a great trip!

The only 2 E-Class we have sailed is Edge and Apex. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was able to book Pan Pacific Service Suite for $256 (S$343) US per night via Expedia.   I did however book it about 9 months in advance and prepaid.   Just in case for the special rate I also bought Expedia cancellation  insurance included in the price.

Yes, the insurance is a great idea just in case...good point!

• Like 1

12/26/2023   Thanksgiving Singapore Style.

Well no Gobble Gobble here.   Didn't even seem like Thanksgiving. 

We finally decided to have Turkish for dinner.    Arab town is about 2 blocks away and Robert made reservations on their way back from Dim Sum while we went shopping.   I broke the remote for my selfie/tripod stick.  

IMG_0472.thumb.jpeg.8bc9855f82cc6d3e11a8c2dabe13936b.jpeg

IMG_0473.thumb.jpeg.3f663b97ad518b0853f6f1001525055c.jpeg

IMG_0474.thumb.jpeg.eb8087155f5359298a3b430066e2823d.jpeg

IMG_0477.thumb.jpeg.371c1dec7e7397bcb93221a61597bb5d.jpeg

IMG_0485.thumb.jpeg.47ddefa8b871b8c87fed302539282ae6.jpeg

IMG_0480.thumb.jpeg.d84486d70916ec1734d36dca80579a4e.jpeg

IMG_0481.thumb.jpeg.571261ed5ad587d29500b2a81e8dde78.jpeg

IMG_0482.thumb.jpeg.28fd120f6848f588b491c500968460ae.jpeg

IMG_0483.thumb.jpeg.7940fe10cad6ad55233f12825f2bc9d1.jpeg

IMG_0484.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 11