Jim_Iain Live - 2nd Half World Cruise - B2B Singapore to Down Under 11/25 – 12/21

Jim_Iain

20 hours ago, Wookie01 said:

@Jim_Iain Was the boarding debacle the reason for the delay? It looked like you were a few hours late departing?

I hope Jim doesn’t mind but I will respond. We boarded the Edge on October 30th and there have been several debacles.  Not only were there issues for embarking passengers yesterday but the turnaround process for B2B passengers was a mess too.  We are in a Suite and also are Zenith.   Took an hour and twenty minutes for us to be processed.  Absolute mess.

In any event at our Zenith lunch on November 21 (there were so many Zeniths on board that three lunches were held) Captain Matt announced that we would depart Singapore at 7 PM instead of the originally scheduled 5 PM.  We left at 8 PM as they were still loading freight.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Northern Aurora  Gerry -  Please jump in often.  The more the better.   I honestly need all the help I can get.  

Good Example of something new I learned.   You should know if this is new or whether I'm just and Airhead .

Our friends dropped buy today and asked -

WHERE'S THE LIFE JACKET?

Being the regular Celebrity Cruiser I said in the closet.   Went over to show them --- Nada-  We looked through every closet, drawer and even under the bed to no avail.   Nada

The Eagle Eye Robert pointed the door - 

IMG_0665.thumb.jpeg.edbfdc8c8e7d3d3ccdd5e7de3ddc8898.jpeg

Gerry -- Is this new.  I obviously didn't pay attention to e-muster.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

@Jim_Iain

I am also curious about the reason behind this ... unorthodox boarding process.

Was it mainly caused by a Celebrity issue, for example, staff shortage or other?

Or was it a Singapore Port Authority/Local government issue with complex formalities.

In short, if things go as planned, we should be boarding the Edge in Sydney in February and I am just wondering if the boarding process you described was typical for the Edge?  ( If Suite guests submitted to a 1.25 hour process, I can just imagine the delay for non-suite guests.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ging466 said:

Hi Jim

My brother and his wife are also on board and they took 2 1/2 hours to embark. They said it was chaotic.

I’m surprised David didn’t pull the “don’t you know who I am” line🤣 it got him into first class several times back in the day🤣 

Cheers

Jennifer

Jennie.  You know he would never read this.   

He hasn’t changed a bit.  After telling a couple workers how they need to do their job he instead on sending someone to find Iain. 

I should have brought a T-shirt I got in UK

GRUMPY ‘Ol GIT

Im sure you can imagine Robert’s Eyes Rolling. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

@Northern Aurora  Gerry -  Please jump in often.  The more the better.   I honestly need all the help I can get.  

Good Example of something new I learned.   You should know if this is new or whether I'm just and Airhead .

Our friends dropped buy today and asked -

WHERE'S THE LIFE JACKET?

Being the regular Celebrity Cruiser I said in the closet.   Went over to show them --- Nada-  We looked through every closet, drawer and even under the bed to no avail.   Nada

The Eagle Eye Robert pointed the door - 

IMG_0665.thumb.jpeg.edbfdc8c8e7d3d3ccdd5e7de3ddc8898.jpeg

Gerry -- Is this new.  I obviously didn't pay attention to e-muster.

It’s new… but on the newer ships rather than policy.  Edge class all have jacket stocks at the muster stations (makes sense personally as what if the shows on and dining, then all have to rush back to upper decks to collect then come back down to muster decks). Older ships didn’t have sufficient space assigned so while they have some at muster, their process relies on stateroom stocks.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cachouonacruise said:

@Jim_Iain

Was it mainly caused by a Celebrity issue, for example, staff shortage or other?

Or was it a Singapore Port Authority/Local government issue with complex formalities.

In short, if things go as planned, we should be boarding the Edge in Sydney in February and I am just wondering if the boarding process you described was typical for the Edge?  ( If Suite guests submitted to a 1.25 hour process, I can just imagine the delay for non-suite guests.)

Not sure about boarding delays at Singapore but having experienced the b2b delays, which were mostly due to 2 ships at one terminal and new Singapore arrival card procedures, would expect Sydney to be similar to normal.

1) Sydney OPT only has capacity for 1 ship, so this is normal load.

2) While Edge class is new to Syd onboarding process is same as for Solstice class and numbers are similar.

3) Boarding/immigration checks at Syd for au and international ports out of there same as usual.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

It’s new… but on the newer ships rather than policy.  Edge class all have jacket stocks at the muster stations (makes sense personally as what if the shows on and dining, then all have to rush back to upper decks to collect then come back down to muster decks). Older ships didn’t have sufficient space assigned so while they have some at muster, their process relies on stateroom stocks.

Thanks...I guess memory was I always saw them in the closet with Safe.

5 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Not sure about boarding delays at Singapore but having experienced the b2b delays, which were mostly due to 2 ships at one terminal and new Singapore arrival card procedures, would expect Sydney to be similar to normal.

1) Sydney OPT only has capacity for 1 ship, so this is normal load.

2) While Edge class is new to Syd onboarding process is same as for Solstice class and numbers are similar.

3) Boarding/immigration checks at Syd for au and international ports out of there same as usual.

Thanks... Will be interesting.    Many on  a World Cruise Tread on Facebook were very verbal about problems in Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Into and Our of India.  

The crew really is doing the job the best they can but have no control.   MANY passengers didn't have Visa's, Arrival Cards ETC and then were blaming the staff.  The crew really need a hug. 

• Like 7

I slept terrible again last night - only got 3 1/2 hours so dragging a bit.   Albeit I just had a 30 minute power nap and rejuvenated.

Many of my followers know that we are generally very regimented and you could set up snipers an knock us off easy.   When traveling with others we have to be flexible.

Good Example -  David who is usually referred to us a Trev (Trevor being his first name) or Willie (Last name Williams)   As Jennie know, is very stubborn and wants to eat at 12;00 noon and 5PM.    Hmmm.  We are more like 1:00 PM Lunch and 8:00 PM dinner.   We settled on Cocktails in Retreat at 7:00 PM and Dinner at 8:00

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Hello🇩🇰 from Copenhagen 

our flight to Oslo is 1.5h delayed🙃

Happy to hear you are safe onboard❤️

Sorry for the delay in boarding. My stomach told me it would be similar issues in Sin🙈

@Northern Aurora sorry for your experience in b2b issues❤️

Looking forward for the updates🤩

• Like 9

I got up early to start getting stuff ready to quickly post.  I pretty much do post production of all my photos. 

Iain the late sleeper actually gets up early on cruises for a 9:00 AM departure to Retreat for a light breakfast.   In 23 years of cruising we have only eaten breakfast in the restaurant ONCE.     We use to always eat in our room until Kelly Ann destroyed the ships with her Designs.   EG no dining tables in Celebrity Suites. 

The Retreat really does have a nice Kelly Hot and Cold serving station.   That was one of few positive design features of E-Class and Revolutionized ships.

IMG_0580.thumb.jpeg.31bb21f7e78af647408cd82fb6abce6c.jpeg

IMG_0581.thumb.jpeg.9cd35ef8f7951fc5fe7c20a9b3b57419.jpeg

IMG_0582.thumb.jpeg.ad30eab98aa8919a1293867a64681767.jpeg

This is my daily Greek Yogurt Parfait and Almond Croissant 

IMG_0584.thumb.jpeg.63ad9e91d96dd9a2902be76bab1a715c.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 15

7 minutes ago, Norwaylady said:

Hello🇩🇰 from Copenhagen 

our flight to Oslo is 1.5h delayed🙃

Happy to hear you are safe onboard❤️

Sorry for the delay in boarding. My stomach told me it would be similar issues in Sin🙈

@Northern Aurora sorry for your experience in b2b issues❤️

Looking forward for the updates🤩

So happy you are back home.   Do you have anytime off work before returning? 

Woke up to heavy rains -  Captain Matt said there was a 90% of rain and his predictions have accurate.   Luckily tropical rains don't always last long.   We have been having mostly sunny days but be prepared  to take shelter.

• Like 3

After breakfast it was time to start our walking.     I only got in 4 miles when I could see a Big Black Cloud heading our way.    I wet to the floors to continue.  

Headed down to Deck 12 and did my walking while enjoying the hall Art collection.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

So happy you are back home.   Do you have anytime off work before returning? 

We are boarding now for Oslo🇳🇴 

So we will be home in our house in 2,5-3h from now❤️

Monday morning is back to reality🤣🤣👌🏻

But I have done some emails and papers for work during our trip.

So it will be fine😊

The best thing is that we are arriving from Asia. It’s the easiest way to turn around the clock. 
So jet lag is not a problem here. 

What is the worst is that the chef, housekeeper and secretary has a full schedule at work and at home😂😂🤣 aka ME🙈

Its 1 of advent today!!!!

So I need to just run home and start putting up the advent decorations and lights🤩

• Like 14

16 hours ago, cachouonacruise said:

@Jim_Iain

It was clear at the Zenith lunch we attended that the executive team expected delays, hence the decision to depart two hours later than originally planned.  They have been burned several times (such as the debacle of embarkation in Dubai in which some of the embarking passengers took 4 hours to board and those with transit cards had to stand in the same lines; the immigration inspection in Mumbai which, according to the hotel director, required seven hours to get all passengers processed; the debacle in Cochin where we left five hours and fifty minutes late; the almost three hour delay in arrival into Colombo).  Several of these countries have complex governmental bureaucracy.

We stayed on board in Singapore as we have spent some time there on a land trip and the attraction we would have liked to revisit requires a full day.  We waited in the Retreat Lounge which was stacked up with departing passengers.  Announcements through the ship started — first they were reporting delays of an hour to get to Singapore immigration, then the line was reported to be 1.5 hours to get to immigration.  The final departing passengers left the Retreat a few minutes before noon.

These issues will not happen in Sydney.  We have both embarked and disembarked there a number of times through the years.  Most recently we were on a B2B2B2B with all TADs in Sydney and all were as smooth as could be.

Jim:  During the first leg the evening Luminae menus were the standard ones.  But some of the lunch dishes were new.  

During the second leg the Luminae chef began offering some dinner specials which were not on the printed menu.  The waiters told you.  Also  during that second leg some of the printed menu offerings were different than the traditional ones.  We have used the same head waiter since we boarded, and he says the Luminae menus are being updated.  

Gerry

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2