OBSERVATIONS FROM THE POOP DECK SEASCAPE NOV 2023

morpheusofthesea

6 hours ago, blueslily said:

Ok. Thank you. I hope this will be true for Seascape as well. Thank you!

Usually, from my experience, the decorations go up "in the middle of the night" day after Thanksgiving. But I have not sailed on MSC so it could be different.

Edited by FLCruiser97
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FLCruiser97 said:

Usually, from my experience, the decorations go up "in the middle of the night" day after Thanksgiving. But I have not sailed on MSC so it could be different.

If they stick to Italian traditions, they would put them up on Dec. 8th.

• Thanks 1

On 11/22/2023 at 11:06 AM, KittyCruz said:

Thank you!  I will do our best (tip of the green) to ensure we have the same waiter each night.  our last RC cruise our head waiter did quite well in the tip arena when on day 3 he started bringing extra shrimp cocktails or other shrimp appetizers "just in case"   

KittyCruz - have you heard about another itinerary change for the December 2nd cruise (my apologies if that's not the sailing you're on).  Some European travelers on the FB page received an email. It's hard to know whether it's legit or not because MSC takes so long to update their website.

This morning at breakfast we noticed a new warning sign posted on the counter next to hours of operation of the Yacht Club Restaurant. It was posted in the universal sign language with a red circle with a line through it over flip-flops, tank tops and shorts. will post a picture tomorrow. While taking a photo I was asked to watch out for dripping water coming from above. I joked with YC director that my wife probably left the bath running. Get back to cabin and 5 maintenance worker are in our cabin searching for the leak. Had the side of the tub removed. Luckily it wasn't coming from our cabin. We use the tub for storing the bathrobes and both the butler and room steward know we don't use either the bath tub or the hot tub. What is nice is that our butler is ever present when workers are in our cabin. Butler said that in these events if a leak is found the guests would be relocated to another cabin. With the Yacht Club sold out this cruise I find this hard to believe.

• Like 3

morpheus - thank you as always for your stellar reviews.  We are YC on Seascape in December (first time on MSC).  Acknowledging the new warning sign you observed, can you comment on the general level of male fashion in the YC dining room for dinner?  Is it mostly pants or are nicer, non-cargo/denim shorts and button-down shirts seen as well?  Thank you!

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, momofmab said:

Is it mostly pants or are nicer, non-cargo/denim shorts and button-down shirts seen as well? 

It runs the gamut. Find women always dress tastefully inside and outside the YC. It is the men that let themselves go to pot, pieces,  kaput, haywire, out of whack, shot and just plain gone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Never a line at 7 am in the Market Place Buffet. Will post pictures of the 'sunnyside up' egg pizza, nutella, strawberry/hazelnut pizza, and banana foster all 3 morning pizzas. Even took a picture of waiter standing around just waiting for someone to ask him for a drink.

Which we find all contrary to reports of bad food and lousy service. Staff just standing behind every counter waiting to help and no one up yet.

Also DW ran into a couple that just got off the new Explora 1 two weeks ago . They were onboard that ship for two weeks in a Penthouse cabin and loved, loved, loved it. (also contrary to negative reports) Though they did admit that the entertainment was lacking. DW was dreading our upcoming Christmas/New Years cruise on Explora 1. Now she is neutral, having one set of friends from the YC "disappointed" with their recent Explora cruise and this couple.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

While waiting with our butler for the maintenance crew to return with more caulking to finish around the tub we enquired about Mr. Balla. Appears both he and Mr. Sherif are now corporate heads in Switzerland. 

Glad to see you are back. Not happy to hear this news. Enjoyed knowing the staff when we sailed. Mr. Balla wanted to be a HD. As corporate heads hopefully they will have some input into the American cruisers likes when ships are in the Caribbean. Keep those interlopers out!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

More interesting observations. Gala night is last night of cruise. Why? Also harder to pack last night of cruise and put bags out if all dressed up for the evening. Maybe more guests will be showing up for the lobster in all the dining rooms, instead of 'stiffing' the waiters the last night by going to the buffet or using their complimentary meal at a specialty restaurant ?  Call me cynical.

At lunch we noticed there is still a leak in front of the hostess station of the YC Restaurant. All the cabins have been checked and nothing found causing this. Maitre 'd Mauricio was told to expect the problem to get worse. That in order to check the leak coming from the ceiling in front of the hostess station the ceiling panel will have to be cut into and the best day to attempt this would be the next Ocean Cay day when most everyone is off the ship and the YC Restaurant is closed for that lunch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

You’ve not said much about interlopers on your current sailing. 
Hoping this means you’ve not seen any/many. 

Cutting out the Seafood Extravaganza did a great deal to stop the interloping imho. Really a better crowd than the summer. No drunks damaging the place. Elevators work great again. This has been one of our best cruises on Seascape to date. Lots to do. More game shows. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I'm not usually a clothing snob, let people be however... On Euribia and seeing multiple people (not young) wearing jogging bottoms to dinner does frustrate somewhat. And yes, I know this is a me problem!!

Edited by Stocksy82
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Stocksy82 said:

I'm not usually a clothing snob, let people be however... On Euribia and seeing multiple people (not young) wearing jogging bottoms to dinner does frustrate somewhat. And yes, I know this is a me problem!!

I like what MSC says at the bottom of the page. "Your attire should fit your own level of elegance," with so many getting upgraded to Yacht Club and such low prices to begin with compared to the rest of the market it stands to reason one sails now with a "wider audience".

ATTIRE.jpg

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, momofmab said:

KittyCruz - have you heard about another itinerary change for the December 2nd cruise (my apologies if that's not the sailing you're on).  Some European travelers on the FB page received an email. It's hard to know whether it's legit or not because MSC takes so long to update their website.

@momofmab we spent the day traveling to Miami, so out of the loop except for @morpheusofthesea notes that we can't wear our flip flops to dinner (thank God overalls weren't on that list but I say give it time) we sail tomorrow so I guess we'll find out. Nothing in our app or in email about our sailing 

• Like 2

Update. The ceiling leak will not be postponed til Ocean Cay. It may start tonight in the YC Restaurant.

YC Restaurant got a notice that 26 YC guests have opted to dine this evening at specialty restaurants. 
   There is another new 3” round, high lipped dish added to the dinnerware in the YC restaurant. An additional server comes around with two types of olive oil for bread dipping? 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, FLCruiser97 said:

Doesn't anybody take pride in the way they look anymore? 

Another variable in how one may be treated 'differently' by staff in hotels or cruises is in the way one presents oneself.  Four and five star venues go to a lot of trouble and expense to create an 'atmosphere of top notch elegance' and one fails to rise to the occasion and shows great disrespect by dressing in shorts, etc.

We would extend this to every meal when we cruise nowadays. "When you pay for a stay in a hotel, you also pay for the comfort, amenities, and services of a hotel, but it does not necessarily mean that you can do and act whatever you like and however you feel. There are hotel manners that you must take note of. Courtesy and respect beget the same, and knowing what to wear for breakfast in a hotel is a basic manner that makes a big difference. Most hotels establish a formality culture in dining for breakfast as a sign of respect and consideration for other guests and the staff. Unless your breakfast wear is as comparable to your smart-casual wear, that wouldn’t be a problem." https://thealcazar.com/what-to-wear-for-breakfast-in-a.../

https://tableagent.com/article/dressing-to-dine-dress-codes-defined/  you can understand why dress codes are sometimes suggested by eateries of a certain merit: they wish for their guests to experience the world they have created. You can savor the luxury of top-notch service best when you too look and feel first-rate. The essence of fine dining wants to take patrons out of their ordinary lives, and for two hours, allow them to bask in the extraordinary experience of their choice. To truly be apart of such a supreme culinary happening—one must look the part and one must dress to dine.

Not required BUT "Why you should always dress when you go out to eat. Yes, it still matters. By Sam Dangremond, Town & Country. John Winterman, who used to work for Daniel Boulud as maître d' at Daniel, and for Charlie Trotter before that, and asked if he thinks dressing up for dinner still matters."

"Absolutely," said Winterman, who's now managing partner at Batârd in New York City. "I break it down into self-respect and respect for others." Would someone's appearance affect the table they were assigned at, say, Daniel?

"On the record, yes," he said. "If someone comes in making an effort and looking fabulous and glamorous and they know they're in for a premium experience at a premium price, you give them a fabulous table in the middle of the room. And people react to that, when they see a crowd that's well-dressed and beautiful and sparkling."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Another variable in how one may be treated 'differently' by staff in hotels or cruises is in the way one presents oneself.  Four and five star venues go to a lot of trouble and expense to create an 'atmosphere of top notch elegance' and one fails to rise to the occasion and shows great disrespect by dressing in shorts, etc.

We would extend this to every meal when we cruise nowadays. "When you pay for a stay in a hotel, you also pay for the comfort, amenities, and services of a hotel, but it does not necessarily mean that you can do and act whatever you like and however you feel. There are hotel manners that you must take note of. Courtesy and respect beget the same, and knowing what to wear for breakfast in a hotel is a basic manner that makes a big difference. Most hotels establish a formality culture in dining for breakfast as a sign of respect and consideration for other guests and the staff. Unless your breakfast wear is as comparable to your smart-casual wear, that wouldn’t be a problem." https://thealcazar.com/what-to-wear-for-breakfast-in-a.../

https://tableagent.com/article/dressing-to-dine-dress-codes-defined/  you can understand why dress codes are sometimes suggested by eateries of a certain merit: they wish for their guests to experience the world they have created. You can savor the luxury of top-notch service best when you too look and feel first-rate. The essence of fine dining wants to take patrons out of their ordinary lives, and for two hours, allow them to bask in the extraordinary experience of their choice. To truly be apart of such a supreme culinary happening—one must look the part and one must dress to dine.

Not required BUT "Why you should always dress when you go out to eat. Yes, it still matters. By Sam Dangremond, Town & Country. John Winterman, who used to work for Daniel Boulud as maître d' at Daniel, and for Charlie Trotter before that, and asked if he thinks dressing up for dinner still matters."

"Absolutely," said Winterman, who's now managing partner at Batârd in New York City. "I break it down into self-respect and respect for others." Would someone's appearance affect the table they were assigned at, say, Daniel?

"On the record, yes," he said. "If someone comes in making an effort and looking fabulous and glamorous and they know they're in for a premium experience at a premium price, you give them a fabulous table in the middle of the room. And people react to that, when they see a crowd that's well-dressed and beautiful and sparkling."

That's fine but truthfully if it's a port day and I dine at the YC for breakfast, I'm wearing what I would wear out for the day (tank top, shorts, bathing suit underneath with my cross trainers).  I am not dressing up to go to breakfast then changing again.  If that offends, oh well.  Completely understand about dinner but no way for a port day.  Even lunch on an Ocean Cay day as long as I have clean top and shorts on.  I like to look nice at dinner but have to disagree on breakfast and lunch especially on port days.  

• Like 3

It is 8:00 am and we are home. Up at 5:30 am and ship was already docked. 210 YC guests this next cruise. Chances of an upgrade to YC are better if people know and try. Only one “down liner” this cruise. Cleared real quick this morning. Facial recognition and out the door, except for 2 CBP agents randomly stopping passengers after FR and asking for passports.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here are 6 short clips of our morning walk through of the "infamous" Market Place Buffet. Please notice that this is our typical walkthrough every morning before we go to breakfast in the YC Restaurant. NO lines, clean, plenty of clean tables, variety of offerings and staff just standing around. Wake up late and suffer the consequences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1