SOUTH AMERICA CRUISE DECISION

erwinj

Can Anyone shed some light on the better of the two cruise options below , both in terms of the ships and the itinerary.  

This is bucket list and might be the last time we ever leave Australia due to circumstances , many thanks in advance receipt of your advices one and all x

image.thumb.png.027d655e70ae5010f61e9eade4e61865.png

In 2016 we did a 20 day repositioning cruise with the Norwegian Sun from Valparaiso, Chile and all the way up to San Fransisco. Many of the same ports as on the itinerary you are considering for February 2024, and that is actually the most amazing cruise we have done (and we have been on more than 30 cruises in total). Simply because of the itinerary.

I have been on both ships several times in the past, and had a great time. Both ships are on the smaller side, both ships have had refurbishments not that long ago.  My insider tip: The Sun has the best/nicest/largest club balcony cabins (used to be called "mini-suites") in the NCL fleet. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, erwinj said:

Can Anyone shed some light on the better of the two cruise options below , both in terms of the ships and the itinerary.  

This is bucket list and might be the last time we ever leave Australia due to circumstances , many thanks in advance receipt of your advices one and all x

We have done a 30 night from Buenos Aires to Miami with NCL that included all but one of those ports.

We considered it one of the worst ones we have done and we have over 60 cruises under our belt but our likes and dislikes are probably much different than yours 

The ship was the Sun .  Very small older ship. Nice condition though.

We like very active shore excursions and a busy night life till 1-2 am.

We found the excursions more sedate. We had a few cancelled because of lack of participation.

The penguins at Stanley were amazing. The others were small ports with not much of anything except city tours really. Ushuaia did have a nice water excursion.

The ship has really one main room for it's game shows and a house band nightly for dancing. It's hard to compare with all the mega ships now.

• Like 1

This morning Fox News reports the State Department has issued updated Travel Warnings, due to elevated crime and safety concerns, for Haiti, Jamaica, Colombia, Chile, and Peru.

The Star sailing would be considered an Antarctica sailing, which we have always wanted to do.

Due to the above, I vote for the Star!

I can't talk to the ships as it's been 8ish years since I've been on NCL. The only reason I'm lurking is I have doing some homework on a possible NCL in Europe.

If this is a bucket-list check box, I'd take Panama Canal over Brasil and Argentina 10 times out of 10.

I love Brazil. I've been no less than 15 times and my fiancé is Brazilian (living in Italy). So there is no anti-Brasil bias - if anything - just the opposite. I am just not a fan of the stops on the Star's itinerary and Sao Paulo - one of my favorite big cities anywhere - is nowhere close to Santos. 

The Sun's stops are better (in my opinion - which is worth exactly what you're paying for it). Seeing the Canal is on many a bucket list. I really like Peru and if you experience Cartagena well, you'll want to go back for it's own vacation. I just think it's a better itinerary. If you want to see Antarctica, do it right and go on a special sailing to Antarctica. 

As for the Sea saw comment, Yup, the State Department has just about every South American country on the Warning list. 'Don't act like a tourist, don't flash money, and don't walk down the street staring at your iPhone 28 Xtra Grande and you'll be fine. And put your mega watch (even if it's a fake) away. Sao Paulo and Rio (especially Rio) have crime problems - then again I feel safer there than I do in Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, (and on and on).. The State Department would put our own country on a watch list if it could.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Griff4AU said:

As for the Sea saw comment, Yup, the State Department has just about every South American country on the Warning list. 'Don't act like a tourist, don't flash money, and don't walk down the street staring at your iPhone 28 Xtra Grande and you'll be fine. And put your mega watch (even if it's a fake) away. Sao Paulo and Rio (especially Rio) have crime problems - then again I feel safer there than I do in Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, (and on and on).. The State Department would put our own country on a watch list if it could.

I knew I would get flack from some (like Griff) for posting this morning's State Department warning.

The times are changing, apparently kidnappings and crime against tourists are too, and some regions are worse than others.  No reason not to be aware, better safe than sorry without prior knowledge of government travel warnings, especially since the OP is from Australia.

Please don't criticise me for trying to be helpful.

My last two cruises were on the Sun (18 days TA in Nov) and Star (15 days Med in April) - they are fairly interchangeable I would say - about the same size with the essentially the same amenities so not like comparing to a megaship. The Sun does get some bonus points for the forward lounge as others noted, plus it has the Great Outdoors for eating outside from the buffet (although you can use Spice H2O for that on the Star to some extent). But I sort of liked the Star layout better, the O'Sheehans over the atrium is a better space than the equivalent sports bar on the Sun, plus I liked the more tiered levels on the upper outside decks on the Star. Probably not helpful, but to me this choice would come down to itinerary preference.

Can't speak to comparing the ports although I am interested in, and have looked at, both those itineraries, but sort of feel like it is comparing the Baltic to the Med - same continent but very different experiences. (I'd lean towards what I suspect would be more the impressive nature on the Ushuaia to Brazil cruise) 

3 hours ago, Sea saw 56 said:

I knew I would get flack from some (like Griff)

Wow, if that's flack, you must have pretty darn thin skin. Your "help" was short sighted. Go Fox news!

There are 4 levels, from 1 (Normal Precautions) to 4 (Do not Travel). From your list, Peru is a 2 (increased caution) Colombia is a 3 (Reconsider travel). 'Not sure about Jamaica. Haiti - is a 4 (Do Not Travel) and deserves to be there. A foreign country would view the US as a 2 or possibly even a 3. Heck, even the UK,  Spain and the always troublesome Sweden are 2's.

The State Department will list an entire country on a list because of a city. You don't think the US is on some lists because of the mass shootings and the rampant crime in DC, Chicago, Detroit, Portland and others? By the State Department "guidance" (when taken at the surface), we should avoid Des Moines because of what happens in Detroit.   Well, not really as the State Department actually defines their concerns for those who actually look - they actually do a nice job and make an effort. There are parts of nearly every city that has trouble - I wouldn't skip a city (or a country) because of some bad areas. Then again, some people are more comfortable in a bubble (and behind a keyboard). 

It's 21 May and I have been in 6 countries so far this year (that's not airport pass throughs nor cruise stops). The only city where I saw anything concerning was in Rio. Yes, that city is tanking and Brazil is going to continue to slip. I can see it elevating to a 3 over the next 24 months. Cruising probably isn't the best vacation for those who want to live in a uninformed bubble.

Anyway, to the OP, Argentina is awesome, I don't know Uruguay, and the Brazil stops are meh (and I love Brazil). I still think the Sun stops are better (Santiago, Peru and Cartagena are worth actual vacations) for the "this may be my only time seeing these places" visitor, but again that's just one guy's opinion (unlike what I said above which was fact).

Edited by Griff4AU
  • Like 2

On 5/21/2023 at 12:34 AM, TrumpyNor said:

In 2016 we did a 20 day repositioning cruise with the Norwegian Sun from Valparaiso, Chile and all the way up to San Fransisco. Many of the same ports as on the itinerary you are considering for February 2024, and that is actually the most amazing cruise we have done (and we have been on more than 30 cruises in total). Simply because of the itinerary.

I have been on both ships several times in the past, and had a great time. Both ships are on the smaller side, both ships have had refurbishments not that long ago.  My insider tip: The Sun has the best/nicest/largest club balcony cabins (used to be called "mini-suites") in the NCL fleet. 

We did the same cruise. It was amazing.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi Everyone Thanks for responses, we have provisionally booked  

SHIP: NORWEGIAN STAR SAILING: 1-Mar-2025 to 15-Mar-2025 CATEGORY / STATEROOM: BALCONY 11TH FLOOR ITINERARY: 14-DAY SOUTH AMERICA FROM USHUAIA TO RIO DE JANEIRO: BRAZIL & ARGENTINA EMBARKATION: USHUAIA DISEMBARKATION: RIO DE JANEIRO

TINERARY: 14-DAY SOUTH AMERICA FROM USHUAIA TO RIO DE JANEIRO: BRAZIL & ARGENTINA (well need to make a decision before end of weekend below).  Price is $7000 AUD pp.  Any concerns or positive feedback welcome

image.png.16ea76c1f1a28a91a1b165310c8d4bfc.png

In March I did most of your itinerary on Celebrity.  The very best part of the cruise was the extra time we spent going to Iguazu Falls. That was my favourite part of the entire trip.  I loved Rio it is worth spending extra time there if you can.  Seeing Christ the Redeemer in Rio was iconic but the views from Sugar Loaf mountain were unbelievable. I got very seasick one day, a port was missed because of near hurricane winds, but it was worth seeing this part of the world.

I haven't sailed on the Star but like the NCL brand.  It looks like a good cruise to me!

4 hours ago, erwinj said:

Hi Everyone Thanks for responses, we have provisionally booked  

SHIP: NORWEGIAN STAR SAILING: 1-Mar-2025 to 15-Mar-2025 CATEGORY / STATEROOM: BALCONY 11TH FLOOR ITINERARY: 14-DAY SOUTH AMERICA FROM USHUAIA TO RIO DE JANEIRO: BRAZIL & ARGENTINA EMBARKATION: USHUAIA DISEMBARKATION: RIO DE JANEIRO

TINERARY: 14-DAY SOUTH AMERICA FROM USHUAIA TO RIO DE JANEIRO: BRAZIL & ARGENTINA (well need to make a decision before end of weekend below).  Price is $7000 AUD pp.  Any concerns or positive feedback welcome

image.png.16ea76c1f1a28a91a1b165310c8d4bfc.png

Bad choice, ending cruise is Brazil is expensive (visa required) and dangerous.

I would think it like this op: Do you want to see Antarctica and are you ok with cold weather and rough seas? If so the Ushuaia one is most definitely a nice one which cannot compare to anything else. Heck you will explore a new continent. However if you prefer to cruise only in warm/tropical weather and if Panama canal is on your bucket list. Do that cruise. Personally my choice would be Antarctica because I simply would want to see the glaciers, pinguins etc etc and just being able to say that I was there. However my husband hates (really really really hates) cruising in cold weather so I know that with him I’d never take this Antarctica itinerary. 

We did Santiago to Buenos Aires on Norwegian in 2016. Itin looks amazing if you really want to see Antarctica. The main negative I see here is that you definitely cannot do Buenos Aires in a day. If you want to see a lot of the sites of the city, perhaps pick a different itin that ends or starts in Buenos Aires so you can spend a few days there. Not only is it a big city with lots to see, but the sites are in different parts of the city. 

I had read that more than 50% of cruises with Falkland on their itineraries do not make it there due to weather conditions. We had our fingers crossed the whole time, and I'm so glad we made it. We had chosen our itin because it included the Falklands. It was really spectacular photographing the penguins.

On 11/25/2023 at 6:59 AM, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

Totally wrong South American cruise.   Buenos Aires to Santiago is the one to do.

Indeed, much more impressive in terms of nature and the Strait of Magellan was (almost) the Panama Canal of the XVI century 🙂

On 5/21/2023 at 7:25 AM, erwinj said:

For me it would be a choice between mostly nature and part in cold/cool weather and seeing a feat of engineering in warmer climate besides more countries. I will be doing Star for Christmas this year but I may have gone for the Panama option if I had it.

On 11/25/2023 at 9:12 PM, schwartzy said:

We did Santiago to Buenos Aires on Norwegian in 2016. Itin looks amazing if you really want to see Antarctica. The main negative I see here is that you definitely cannot do Buenos Aires in a day. If you want to see a lot of the sites of the city, perhaps pick a different itin that ends or starts in Buenos Aires so you can spend a few days there. Not only is it a big city with lots to see, but the sites are in different parts of the city. 

I had read that more than 50% of cruises with Falkland on their itineraries do not make it there due to weather conditions. We had our fingers crossed the whole time, and I'm so glad we made it. We had chosen our itin because it included the Falklands. It was really spectacular photographing the penguins.

Agreed. Besides by March temperatures would be getting colder in the south part of the cruise, ever more unlikely to allow a stop in the Falklands and for years now I do not leave the ship when in Rio, let alone embark or disembark there

• 1 month later...

Thank you to everyone for their feedback we have decided now to look at a new cruise

Can Anyone shed some light on whether this would be an excellent cruise to book, both in terms of the ships and the itinerary.  

17-DAY CRUISE ON NORWEGIAN JADE

South America : Cabo & Trujillo

from Lima (Callao), Peru

$4,087
PP / AUD

image.png.43bd5021e24d8f8c668cfcc61b91e775.png

image.png.06a4a383bf2c4cd55512654b2c8662d2.png

image.png.bbc003eac1723b39dea48b9469f594c2.png

image.png.0d8bc0f43f6a25c0c532b72a90375f68.png

9 hours ago, erwinj said:

Thank you to everyone for their feedback we have decided now to look at a new cruise

Can Anyone shed some light on whether this would be an excellent cruise to book, both in terms of the ships and the itinerary.  

17-DAY CRUISE ON NORWEGIAN JADE

South America : Cabo & Trujillo

from Lima (Callao), Peru

$4,087
PP / AUD

image.png.43bd5021e24d8f8c668cfcc61b91e775.png

image.png.06a4a383bf2c4cd55512654b2c8662d2.png

image.png.bbc003eac1723b39dea48b9469f594c2.png

image.png.0d8bc0f43f6a25c0c532b72a90375f68.png

I have done the Antarctica cruise on Celebrity.  It was round trip out of Buenos Aires.  I would say that it was one of the best experiences in my travel.  Nothing compares to the Antarctica sailing.  Buenos Aires is a fascinating city which benefits from a few days either before or after the cruise. I have wanted to sail the western side of South America for some time.  I am eying this itinerary on the Jade but starting in Miami to Lima and then Lima to San Diego, sailing in Feb/Mar 2026