Breakdown of Gratuities since latest increase

7 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

When you buy a couch the furniture store does not ask if you would like to add on a preset arbitrary amount of money to the transaction.

And the cruise line has NEVER asked me to add a preset arbitrary amount.  I've had to tell our TA to add it on. 

And so what?  Answer "no".  When they ask you "Do you want a drink package" (a preset arbitrary amount), is your answer "tell me where the money is going"?

2 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

And the cruise line has NEVER asked me to add a preset arbitrary amount.  I've had to tell our TA to add it on. 

And so what?  Answer "no".  When they ask you "Do you want a drink package" (a preset arbitrary amount), is your answer "tell me where the money is going"?

Of course the cruise line does. You beat them to the punch and have your TA do it, but if you had not done that, then everyday they would charge you an arbitrary pre set amount, and give you the option to remove it.  

The drink package is a silly argument that doesn't even fit into the discussion; the price of the drink package returns to the purchaser a tangible product.

• Like 4

Well, sometimes people tip in cash even when paying by credit card because they or someone they knew had their non-cash tips confiscated by the restaurant manager.   

If the crew said something like "Yes, I get a certain amount per person per day from everyone pays Royal the gratuity"   Then people wouldn't worry.    But the fact that even the employees don't know smells like Royal is keeping some of it.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Of course the cruise line does. You beat them to the punch and have your TA do it, but if you had not done that, then everyday they would charge you an arbitrary pre set amount, and give you the option to remove it.  

The drink package is a silly argument that doesn't even fit into the discussion; the price of the drink package returns to the purchaser a tangible product.

And I consider it part of the cruise fare.  

You still don't explain why knowing the breakdown makes an ounce of difference.  So you find out the guy folding laundry get a dime (for example) each day out of the $18.  That means what exactly?  He doesn't deserve it?  

Does knowing the breakdown change whether you're going to pay it?  "If that guy wiping tables gets ANY of my money, I'll throw a fit!"

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BND said:

Just wonder why it matters?

Agree.  We had a party of 7 at a land-based restaurant just last week.   When the bill came there was a gratuity placed on the bill (for parties 6+). We paid it.  It NEVER occurred to us question how much went to the server, hostess, chef, kitchen help, restaurant maintenance staff, dishwasher etc.  

Why do people obsess over this in regard to cruising?  Maybe folks are looking for a way to justify or rationalize their reducing gratuities. 

M

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

And I consider it part of the cruise fare.  

You still don't explain why knowing the breakdown makes an ounce of difference.  So you find out the guy folding laundry get a dime (for example) each day out of the $18.  That means what exactly?  He doesn't deserve it?  

Does knowing the breakdown change whether you're going to pay it?  "If that guy wiping tables gets ANY of my money, I'll throw a fit!"

You have me confused with someone else. 
I could not care less about the breakdown, I don’t pay the daily charge.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, nu_cruzer1 said:

Why does anyone need to explain why they want to know how the gratuities are broken down?  If a thread about gratuities doesn't interest you, of if you're not able to respond to the OPs question, ignore the thread.  🤔

You must be new here *.  😄

* Yes, I know you're not new.

6 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I didn’t post this because I’m getting paid (that’s a ridiculous comment) or to annoy anyone. I simply asked if anyone has the paper with the revised breakdown of the new gratuity amount.

I was just curious if they increased the daily amounts distributed to each group equally  (attendant, server and other) or if one of the groups were getting more with this change. They all work so hard, I was curious as to how Royal sees each group.

I think you ask a good question! These days there seems to be an ever growing expectation that you don’t just “tip” but you “tip” on top of the “tip!” Whilst forums such as these light up whenever the “industrial rate” (I almost wrote “changes”) rises, it would often be helpful to know what the individual “expected” allocation actually is. 

undoubtably, (rather like “Royal Up”) it involves algorithms and incantations and magic potions all wrapped up in a cloak of enigmatic secrecy, but there is an industry surrounding the penultimate nights guilt “tip!” Not for nothing do those waiters and kitchen workers dance and bang pots and waive napkins. Not in sorrow do (whoever isn’t needed) wave flags and line up to bid you “adieu!”

The corporate machine has helpfully printed envelopes and provided a stream of subtle reminders that your “tips” were last weeks news! Then, if you are anything like us, begins the arguments over “how much and to who?” 

One way, might be to employ a percentage of the individuals personal gratuity rate? Of course, to do that, it is helpful to know what that actually is? To that end, this question is actually quite helpful, even if the chances of finding an accurate answer are likely to be as elusive as finding the Holy grail! 

• Like 1

It would be interesting (but impossible) to learn what those who opt out of the daily gratuities actually provide to staff.  Is this a way to justify lowering the amount ones pays for gratuity, or are those who opt out simply providing the full $18 pp/day to those who they know assist them?

M

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

It would be interesting (but impossible) to learn what those who opt out of the daily gratuities actually provide to staff.  Is this a way to justify lowering the amount ones pays for gratuity, or are those who opt out simply providing the full $18 pp/day to those who they know assist them?

M

I opt out. Got off Indy this morning. Room attendant got $100. We ate in MDR twice. Each waiter got $25. Had deluxe drink pkg of which grats are already included - left additional $10 at Skybar and $40 at Boleros where we were most of the week. The bartenders were beyond great. Gave $10 each to the guys doing the jetski tour at Labadee. They were great and patient with my daughter and I. Doesn't matter to me what people think about our tipping. I will always tip those that I feel made a difference. 

Edited by fla33023
Spelling
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Ok.  Please explain.  How EXACTLY would it "help"?  What would you do with the information?

Yes, no problem! Although obviously the standard gratuities are pre-paid, it would be useful to know what each individuals daily allocation amounted to. That way, it would be easy to apply say, an additional daily amount between the two of us (50% of total) or whatever amount seemed a fair and reasonable proportion. 

1 minute ago, Jetdriver787 said:

Yes, no problem! Although obviously the standard gratuities are pre-paid, it would be useful to know what each individuals daily allocation amounted to. That way, it would be easy to apply say, an additional daily amount between the two of us (50% of total) or whatever amount seemed a fair and reasonable proportion. 

So if you know your room steward is getting say $4.50/day/person, and you think he's worth $5/day/person, you're going to do the math to figure out how much more you're going to give him?  

Good for you!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

So if you know your room steward is getting say $4.50/day/person, and you think he's worth $5/day/person, you're going to do the math to figure out how much more you're going to give him?  

Good for you!

Not quite, no! But if the suite attendant collects say $6 a day per person then we might like to say instead of paying for  the two of us, it would be nice to pay a “third person bonus” so an extra $42 (rounded to $40 or $50 for a week.) I doubt the asst’ waiter receives the same standard rate and I’m sure the Head waiter doesn’t, so it would be very helpful to know what the standard expectation rate is when calculating an additional reward. 

For the avoidance of any doubt, I am referring to the “Tip, tip hooray!” Payments and not the standard or recommended gratuities. 

Edited by Jetdriver787
Sabbath mathematics!

1 hour ago, fla33023 said:

I opt out. Got off Indy this morning. Room attendant got $100. We ate in MDR twice. Each waiter got $25. Had deluxe drink pkg of which grats are already included - left additional $10 at Skybar and $40 at Boleros where we were most of the week. The bartenders were beyond great. Gave $10 each to the guys doing the jetski tour at Labadee. They were great and patient with my daughter and I. Doesn't matter to me what people think about our tipping. I will always tip those that I feel made a difference.  that’s what we do.

Just now, Norwich Cruiser said:
1 hour ago, fla33023 said:

I opt out. Got off Indy this morning. Room attendant got $100. We ate in MDR twice. Each waiter got $25. Had deluxe drink pkg of which grats are already included - left additional $10 at Skybar and $40 at Boleros where we were most of the week. The bartenders were beyond great. Gave $10 each to the guys doing the jetski tour at Labadee. They were great and patient with my daughter and I. Doesn't matter to me what people think about our tipping. I will always tip those that I feel made a difference.  that’s what we do.

That’s similar to what we do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Why do people obsess over this in regard to cruising?  Maybe folks are looking for a way to justify or rationalize their reducing gratuities. 

M

Exactly, same goes for those who remove the daily charge so they can tip in cash. No way to get tips to the behind the scene workers. 

Edited by taglovestocruise
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Do we know that as a fact?  Do cash tips remain in the receiver's pocket?

Stateroom attendants, yes. I have asked more than once. I haven't inquired about the others as it's not as important to me.