Cruising from and back to Rome......airport transportation??

dirtdogsr

I am planning my first European cruise..... my major concern is how to get from the Rome airport to the cruise port in Civitavecchia and then back.   Try to figure out public transportation,  or would a cab be easier,  but prohibitively expensive??  

There are many transport options discussed here...take a look around the board.

Cab is one of the more expensive. Train is a possibility, depending on your time...it requires a connection, and for you to lug your bags. Plus some extra effort to get from the ship to the train station in Civi. Discussed here frequently.

There is always ship transfers.

We have used Rome in Limo many times. Huge thread full of recommendations for this great company just down the board.

You are going to one of the most wonderful cities in the world. You are going direct to the port?

Thank you so much for the info.........we are flying to Paris for a few days,  then flying to Rome for the cruise.  I haven't decided on how long to stay in Rome after the cruise.....we may just return home and visit Rome again when we have more time.

8 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

In that case, a hotel in the center of Rome will be a flat rate taxi fare. That has been 50 euros, and is a reasonable rate.

To further clarify, the 50 euro cab fare is from the airport (FCO) to a central Rome hotel. It’s a reasonable cost. You could take the train but would probably still need a cab from train station to your hotel with suitcases, probably not worth the extra hassle.

To get from Rome to Civitavecchia, the cruise port, it’s around 75 minutes give or take your location in Rome. Taxis are the most expensive option. Private transfers and private group shuttles are a better choice. Train is much cheaper but requires you to manage your luggage’s to the station, on and off the train, then on a bus to the cruise port.

There are many threads on all these options, so happy reading. 

And good decision to spend the days in Rome! It’s a wonderful city with much to see.

On 11/26/2023 at 12:48 PM, euro cruiser said:

It would be such a shame to be in Rome and not see at least something, even if it's only for a day.  No time in Rome is ever wasted.

I agree.  We stopped in Rome for day on my first and only cruise to Europe in 2019. I booked an all day tour that was wonderful but long (10 hours) and I barely felt like I scratched the surface of what to see. When you only get a little time and each location (except for the Vatican where our tour was a couple hours), it leaves you wishing you had more time at each place.

Soooo, for my big 5-0 next year, I booked a cruise out of Rome! Airfare, however, dictated schedule bc I was able to find round-trip non-stop for $913 on AA so we arrive early on a Wed and our cruise leaves on Friday.  But still, that leaves us 2.5 days to see the sites I really want to go back and see again!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, erby2283 said:

I booked a cruise out of Rome! Airfare, however, dictated schedule bc I was able to find round-trip non-stop for $913 on AA so we arrive early on a Wed and our cruise leaves on Friday.  But still, that leaves us 2.5 days to see the sites I really want to go back and see again!

Enjoy your return trip!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...