Reusable shopping bags

SoloAlaska

Is it customary to use reusable shopping bags in Italy and other ports in Europe?

My upcoming cruise includes stops in Italy, France, Spain, Portugal, and Bermuda. I’ll be doing some shopping in specialty stores as well as Christmas markets and want to make sure I’m prepared. 

Yes, definitely. You could take some of your own (if that’s what you’re asking?) but the supermarkets will probably be selling some really nice reusable ones at Christmas, in addition to the usual ones. Anticipate 1-5€ each. 
https://www.carrefour.fr/s?q=Sac+cabas 

https://www.continente.pt/produto/saco-compras-reutilizavel-386l-meloas-7080852.html

And you’ll be able to buy the foldable fabric ones pretty much everywhere !

I've been using my own bags in Italy for more than two decades, it's definitely the "done" thing.  The really high end stores will want you to carry their bag but for market or small store purchases, your own is preferable.

I probably have a dozen or so small bags (like this one from Ikea:  SKYNKE Shopping bag, gray-blue, 17 ¾x14 ¼" - IKEA) that fold up into their own pocket, I leave them in each piece of luggage or handbag that I carry so there's always at least one available.

On 11/27/2023 at 12:15 AM, SoloAlaska said:

Is it customary to use reusable shopping bags in Italy and other ports in Europe?

My upcoming cruise includes stops in Italy, France, Spain, Portugal, and Bermuda. I’ll be doing some shopping in specialty stores as well as Christmas markets and want to make sure I’m prepared. 

Yeah

since 2018 all shops and supermarkets in EU countries must sell (instead of offer) bags to customers.

It doesn't matter if it is a great store, a clothing shop, electronic devices shop or... a groceries!!!, they will offer and sell you a bag.

You are entitled to buy a bag or... to bring your own bag

to be precise... it is expected from you to bring your own bag.... if you do not, nothing happens. They will sell you a bag.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1