Japan Cruise

Romocruiser

Im starting to think about a Princess Japan Cruise for 2025.  Japan has been high on my bucket list.  Any advice about which cruise to select?  The number of days is not important, but the content is.  I would like to experience as much of Japan as possible, within the limits of a cruise.  Thanks.  

My husband and I have been to Japan twice. I would try to avoid going in the summer. It is hot and humid. Also, try to avoid festival cruises since they are more expensive. The fall and spring cruises are the best time to go. I see there is a 22-Day Sea of Japan Explorer Spring Flowers sailing cruise that is very port intensive and goes to both Nagasaki and Hiroshima.

The Diamond Princess is a lovely ship. 

Hope this helps,

Arlene

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Romocruiser said:

Im starting to think about a Princess Japan Cruise for 2025.  Japan has been high on my bucket list.  Any advice about which cruise to select?  The number of days is not important, but the content is.  I would like to experience as much of Japan as possible, within the limits of a cruise.  Thanks.  

We just enjoyed an awesome 17-day Japan B2B this past July which I posted some of our experiences to a Live From thread listed in my below Expanded Signature.

We completed a circle Japan cruise on the Diamond Princess three weeks ago, nice variety.

Time well spent for you to read the Ports of Call Asia section of Cruise Critic.

First the Japan immigration. There is a 150 page tutorial on how to get through it. Or, most of it is pretty self explanatory. Look for my question posted in that section. You'll need the answer.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2969475-visit-japan-web-for-cruisers-question/#comment-66312185

If you take certain medications, for example, if prescribed amphetimines for sleep-wake disorders, or on a Cpap machine and certain other things, you'll need to file a Yunyu Kakunin-Sho for it/them. This comment will probably generate comments here from the chronically pedantic, but I'm only saying, here is the link, look for yourself. Click the blue links and it will take you to the form in English and where to send it.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/policy/health-medical/pharmaceuticals/01.html

Exchange money before you leave home.

T-Mobile phone for free international calls is your communication, period. Ships wifi was spotty. Rented pocket WiFi from the airport was wonky and expensive.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We’re booked for an 8 day Japan itinerary on the Diamond in June. This will be our first trip to Japan, so no first hand experience yet. However, I’ve done a ton of research and found some very comprehensive reviews of the Diamond on YouTube from some popular bloggers who cruised Japan during the festival season in August.

Some tidbits I’ve learned about Japan:

As someone else mentioned, weather is a big consideration since Japan seems to have some extremes. We’ll be there during rainy season in June but, with school-aged kids, we’re limited to summer break and rain is more desirable than the heat and humidity of July/August. 

If the sailing includes South Korea, be prepared for lengthy customs processing at the next Japanese port. Beware if booking a non-Princess excursion that day. 

“Sightseeing Japan” podcast is an amazing resource! They never mention cruising at all, but lots of detailed information about many of the ports of call. It was so good I plan to go back and listen to many of the episodes a second time. Great resource for planning self-guided port days and for learning about cultural aspects. 

Other than Yokohama (Tokyo) the majority of ports are not typical tourist destinations. You’ll want to combine the cruise with a land stay if you want to see the “big rock” inland cities like Kyoto. Fortunately the train infrastructure makes that very doable. 

Japan is a wildly popular destination right now, so be prepared for crowds. We booked pre- and post-cruise hotels three months ago (10 months in advance of the trip) and got exactly what we wanted. I just checked this week and those hotels are already selling out. 

There isn’t much activity for Japan itineraries on CC or FB groups. Most likely due to the large proportion of people on those sailings being from Japan and China. English speakers will be in the minority, but my family is really excited about the international aspect of the cruise. 

Best wishes planning your cruise!

We recently returned to Japan (for a 42 day HAL cruise) this past March.  I say "return" because when I was a younger man in our USAF, I lived in Japan for two years (and loved every day).  Every port (and we had many) had its highlights and DW and I did many ports on our own, some on private tours, and a few on HAL excursions.  

But a cruise around Japan is limiting, and I wanted to expose DW to more of Japan.  So, we flew in 12 days early, spent 5 days in Tokyo, and than trained to Kyoto for a wonderful week.  For most cruisers, I would suggest something similar.  Tokyo is a huge city and certainly worthy of a few days.  But Kyoto (or some of the nearby towns) is a very special part of Japan and a terrific base for all kinds of day trips.  Most cruises will give you 1 or 2 days in Osaka (getting to Kyoto is pretty easy) but we do not think it is nearly enough.  I would urge fellow cruisers to find the time/money to spend some time in Kyoto (and also Tokyo).  Keep in mind that if you spend a week in Kyoto, and have a JR Rail pass, you can daytrip to places as far away as Hiroshima.  

Hank