Just booked my first cruise in 17 years... Help!

LACruiser5

Wow, times have changed since I last cruised! My husband and I took a 10 day cruise 17 years ago and it was his first (my 7th). He got Norovirus on day 3 and was deathly ill the rest of the trip. I got it on day 9.  I've finally (kind of) convinced him to try again.  

We are booked on the Allure for a 4 night cruise. I booked during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales & it seemed like a decent deal at first.  

Once I booked, I looked at the add-on options because it was the last day of the cruise. WOW! They now nickel & dime you to death! Everything that was once included is now extra.  By the time I finished with just "basic" upgrades (Wifi for 1 w/ 2 devices), 2 Refreshment packages (non-alcoholic), and  Hideaway Beach passes ($58 total-1/2 price) for CocoCay and my "total" expenses are up to $2042 for a 4 night cruise (including gratuities). Then I noticed that there were 8 restaurants not included for dinner and I've read that things like sushi and lobster are no longer served in the "free" restaurants at all. Years ago, you could order surf & turf every night...on the menu or not. Is this accurate? 

On the refreshment package, would I be wise to cancel one of  those? My husband normally only drinks plain black coffee, sweet tea, water or the occasional Ginger Beer (do they have that & is it included?).  He might enjoy a milk shake a couple times. Any idea of the price of a milk shake? I, on the other hand, don't drink any soda, but love my coffee drinks and can drink virgin pina coladas and daiquiries all day long so I think it's worth the extra $120.00...maybe?  

Edited by LACruiser5
  • Like 1

We cruised 3 times this year and the only extras we purchased was on our first cruise got the refreshment package for me & ate dinner one night at Playmakers (not available on Allure I don't think.)  Second cruise on Liberty for 3 nights bought no add ons.  Third cruise was 7 nights, just bought the $31 coffee card.  We don't pay or use wifi on the ship...it's our chance to unplug and unwind.  And I've found that you don't need to pay for anything extra to enjoy Coco Cay.  We have paid for Chops and other restaurants before but really no reason to pay extra for food, especially on a 4 night trip.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also enjoy the Refreshment package which includes all drinks, even JR milk shakes, excluding the alcohol. Be sure to get the fresh squeezed OJ which is much better than the watered down OJ; however, JR has really good OJ! BTW, JR's on all Oasis class ships provides breakfast included in your cruise fare; some people don't know that! Also, remember to collect a few bottled waters or juices from time to time to keep in your cabin cooler.

It sounds like your DH would not benefit much from the RP, so you may want to refund that. He should be fine with the included options, unless he doesn't want the hassle. RCCL no longer provides a wine/beer package, and beer is not covered in the RP, so he would need to buy beer ala carte. Sadly, there is no Playmakers on Allure (yet).

As the poster mentioned above, lots of free beach options on CocoCay, unless you want a designated cabana, beach bed, or reserved chairs. Any drink packages are also honored on CocoCay.

Hope this helps! Happy cruising! Cheers!

P.S. We love the Allure!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

As the poster mentioned above, lots of free beach options on CocoCay, unless you want a designated cabana, beach bed, or reserved chairs. Any drink packages are also honored on CocoCay.

The only reason I booked the Hideaway Beach for $58 total was that it is Adult only and we are 'resting' from kids/grandkids 😂😂. It was half off so I booked it before the sale ended thinking we would have the option to cancel. Are the other beaches overrun with kids? Hard to get a lounge chair?

OK, the adult only area may be a great choice on CocoCay, especially if there is more than one big ship at CocoCay with the potential of lots of kids. Since Celebrity ships are also now allowed at CocoCay, that may make for larger crowds, which could make it harder to find a peaceful spot! Enjoy your adult time on the beach!

50 minutes ago, LACruiser5 said:

Wow, times have changed since I last cruised! My husband and I took a 10 day cruise 17 years ago and it was his first (my 7th). He got Norovirus on day 3 and was deathly ill the rest of the trip. I got it on day 9.  I've finally (kind of) convinced him to try again.  

We are booked on the Allure for a 4 night cruise. I booked during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales & it seemed like a decent deal at first.  

Once I booked, I looked at the add-on options because it was the last day of the cruise. WOW! They now nickel & dime you to death! Everything that was once included is now extra.  By the time I finished with just "basic" upgrades (Wifi for 1 w/ 2 devices), 2 Refreshment packages (non-alcoholic), and  Hideaway Beach passes ($58 total-1/2 price) for CocoCay and my "total" expenses are up to $2042 for a 4 night cruise (including gratuities). Then I noticed that there were 8 restaurants not included for dinner and I've read that things like sushi and lobster are no longer served in the "free" restaurants at all. Years ago, you could order surf & turf every night...on the menu or not. Is this accurate? 

On the refreshment package, would I be wise to cancel one of  those? My husband normally only drinks plain black coffee, sweet tea, water or the occasional Ginger Beer (do they have that & is it included?).  He might enjoy a milk shake a couple times. Any idea of the price of a milk shake? I, on the other hand, don't drink any soda, but love my coffee drinks and can drink virgin pina coladas and daiquiries all day long so I think it's worth the extra $120.00...maybe?  

You are certainly remembering some things wrong!  LOL  17 years ago, there was no wifi.  And the dial up service wasn't free.  (and you don't NEED it for a 4 night cruise, but certainly should buy it if you want it). 

The included drinks 17 years ago are basically the same as they are now, except that actually there are a few more included drinks, like flavored waters.  So, the refreshment package isn't "necessary" by any means.  Definitely cancel your husband's package, from your description of his habits.  For you?  The peace of mind of not wondering how much those lovely virgin daiquiris are costing you is probably worth it.  😄

I never have difficulty finding a quiet (free) lounger and umbrella on CocoCay, but I'm trying Hideaway Beach in March, because it was so cheap.  (I got it for $18.99)  While Hideaway Beach is billed as "adults only", they are trying to market to younger adults, saying that there will be "nonstop music" and excitement.  😮 

So................all of those extras truly are optional. Only you can judge their "worth" or "value" to you.

Whatever you choose, enjoy your first cruise in 17 years!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

17 years ago, there was no wifi.  And the dial up service wasn't free.  (and you don't NEED it for a 4 night cruise, but certainly should buy it if you want it). 

😂😂  Correct! There was a dial up internet room and you usually had to pay for larger packages but on NCL we got 4 or so hours free on our 10 day cruise, which was enough for checking on the kids with grandma back home 🙂     We DO need it on our 4 night cruise.  We work and run a corporation so can't be out of touch even that long unfortunately.  

56 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I never have difficulty finding a quiet (free) lounger and umbrella on CocoCay, but I'm trying Hideaway Beach in March, because it was so cheap.  (I got it for $18.99) 

Wow! How did you get it that cheap? I thought the black friday price was good, but not that good. Still not sure we will keep it but at least I have the option for $28.99 ea which is *supposedly* half price...

1 minute ago, LACruiser5 said:

Wow! How did you get it that cheap? I thought the black friday price was good, but not that good. Still not sure we will keep it but at least I have the option for $28.99 ea which is *supposedly* half price...

It varied and varies tremendously from cruise to cruise, ship to ship, week to week.  Typical RC pricing labyrinths.  😄 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

It varied and varies tremendously from cruise to cruise, ship to ship, week to week.  Typical RC pricing labyrinths.  😄 

Just want to say "hi" from js at dis LOL

2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

You are certainly remembering some things wrong!  LOL  17 years ago, there was no wifi.  And the dial up service wasn't free.  (and you don't NEED it for a 4 night cruise, but certainly should buy it if you want it). 

The included drinks 17 years ago are basically the same as they are now, except that actually there are a few more included drinks, like flavored waters.  So, the refreshment package isn't "necessary" by any means.  Definitely cancel your husband's package, from your description of his habits.  For you?  The peace of mind of not wondering how much those lovely virgin daiquiris are costing you is probably worth it.  😄

These were my thoughts exactly. Free drinks seem the same today as they did 17 years ago. I also remember back to when you had to get a modem from Guest Services to get onto the Internet. Then they went to per minute packages on WiFi where you connected, checked your mail, and disconnected from the internet to save those minutes for use during the cruise.

Also, they can still order surf and turf every night. Don't believe that has ever been included except on lobster nights. Not sure if OP was implying you could get surf & turf for free? If so, that has never been a thing as long as I have been cruising over the last close to 25 years.

1 minute ago, Scottee25 said:

Don't believe that has ever been included except on lobster nights. Not sure if OP was implying you could get surf & turf for free? If so, that has never been a thing as long as I have been cruising over the last close to 25 years.

Yes, we were definitely able to get surf & turf outside of Lobster nights back in the day.   We would just ask our regular waiter and he would bring it to us with a wink as long as they still had some (they usually did). I cruised a lot as a teen and young adult with my family. This was in the regular dining rooms when they still had formal nights. 

14 minutes ago, LACruiser5 said:

Yes, we were definitely able to get surf & turf outside of Lobster nights back in the day.   We would just ask our regular waiter and he would bring it to us with a wink as long as they still had some (they usually did). I cruised a lot as a teen and young adult with my family. This was in the regular dining rooms when they still had formal nights. 

Then your waiter was giving you something free of charge that was not intended to be free of charge. Consider yourself lucky. We all got some indirect perk from a bartender or waitstaff but if we didn't, it wouldn't matter because it was not supposed to be included. Like I said, only time we ever got lobster free was on lobster night or our last cruise when we were Star Class.

21 minutes ago, Scottee25 said:

Then your waiter was giving you something free of charge that was not intended to be free of charge. Consider yourself lucky. We all got some indirect perk from a bartender or waitstaff but if we didn't, it wouldn't matter because it was not supposed to be included. Like I said, only time we ever got lobster free was on lobster night or our last cruise when we were Star Class.

This was 40 years ago.  There were no surcharges for food of ANY kind. You could pretty much order anything you wanted in the main dining rooms and if they had it, they served it to you. This was on Holland America and NCL which is what we cruised on mostly. 

Sorry - just read you own a business and need the internet.  I'd have deleted this comment if I could, but CC doesn't let you do that.  

Verizon has a $10 a day upcharge for using your cell phone internationally.  If it's only a 4 day cruise, you might want to consider waiting until you are at land to use the internet.  Totally up to you - you might need to check your email each day, but for 4 days I might consider skipping internet (not on a longer cruise)

My family was totally fine on Labadee without any extras (there are beach chairs easily available).

Also, you should price it out but at least the alcohol package is expensive on RC and its possible you'd be better off just purchasing your drinks individually based on how much you expect to drink.

Edited by kitkat343

43 minutes ago, LACruiser5 said:

This was 40 years ago.  There were no surcharges for food of ANY kind. You could pretty much order anything you wanted in the main dining rooms and if they had it, they served it to you. This was on Holland America and NCL which is what we cruised on mostly. 

Then perhaps I misunderstood your original message. I interpreted it to mean you were getting surf & turf 17 years ago on Royal every night. 40 years ago? I believe it. I still remember the midnight buffets. Oh yeah, those are gone too.

2 hours ago, Scottee25 said:

These were my thoughts exactly. Free drinks seem the same today as they did 17 years ago. I also remember back to when you had to get a modem from Guest Services to get onto the Internet. Then they went to per minute packages on WiFi where you connected, checked your mail, and disconnected from the internet to save those minutes for use during the cruise.

Also, they can still order surf and turf every night. Don't believe that has ever been included except on lobster nights. Not sure if OP was implying you could get surf & turf for free? If so, that has never been a thing as long as I have been cruising over the last close to 25 years.

On "lobster night", sure.  You could just order the steak from the "classics"  menu and order your lobster tail.  Voila!  Instant surf 'n' turf!

45 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

Also, you should price it out but at least the alcohol package is expensive on RC and its possible you'd be better off just purchasing your drinks individually based on how much you expect to drink.

We don't drink...I might have one, but I'm just as happy with virgin drinks so we didn't even consider the alcohol drink package, just the refreshment package (no alcohol).  Not even sure we will both keep that, but maybe 🤷‍♀️

45 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

Your ship from 17 years ago will probably fit in the basement of your new ship.

Now that had me curious!  I'm glad to hear they've gotten bigger...maybe less seasickness?!?  17 years ago, we were on the brand new Norwegian Pearl that had the first ever bowling alley at sea. It was pretty big back then, but you are correct, Allure of the Seas is even bigger!  Definitely a good thing. 👍🏻

48 minutes ago, Scottee25 said:

I still remember the midnight buffets. Oh yeah, those are gone too.

Bummer, but who needs more food at midnight anyway? 😂😂  17 years ago they were just starting the freestyle dining with the different restaurants but we didn't pay extra for MOST of those either...Things change 🤷‍♀️ I'm just not sure that $2000+ for 4 nights is a great value (at 30% off no less) for a vacation. We've mostly been doing All-Inclusive resorts since my husband swore off cruising and we've gotten some amazing deals...we shall see!  I'm just hoping we picked the right cruise to jump back in on cruising...

6 hours ago, LACruiser5 said:

Everything that was once included is now extra. 

I'm not sure you're remembering correctly -- rose colored glasses, maybe?  

- 17 years ago I don't remember any internet on personal devices.  Yeah, they had slooooow email in an internet cafe -- for a high price.  And streaming services, as we know them today, didn't exist.  

- Lobster is served on 7+ night cruises, not on shorter cruises -- I mean, without extra cost.  In my experience lobster's always been a once-a-week thing, but now you have the option to order it in the MDR every night (for a cost).  

- Yes, no-cost steaks were better in the past.  

- Thinking back to my very first cruise -- 2003 -- they already had "extra cost" restaurants.  More options exist now -- some for cost /some no cost.  The bigger ships especially offer multiple small food venues, which spreads the crowds out.  

- Drinks have always been expensive onboard.  While you're deciding about the Refreshment package, note that you can bring 12 non-alcoholic beverages + 1 bottle of wine onboard with you. 

Hideaway Beach passes ($58 total-1/2 price) for CocoCay

If you want the special beach, that's not a bad price -- but it's easy to have a great day at CocoCay without spending a penny.  Well, maybe a couple drinks (if you go with the Refreshment package, it'll work on the island), and drinks cost about $1 more on the island -- something about VAT?  Plenty of no-cost loungers, good food at lunchtime.  We like Chill Island, South Beach and Breezy Bay; we don't anticipate ever paying for seats on CocoCay.  

He might enjoy a milk shake a couple times. Any idea of the price of a milk shake?

About $10, including mandatory 18% tax. 

Similar topic:  You can also choose Protein Shakes or Smoothies for slightly less.  And soft serve ice cream is available every afternoon (they have a crew member making the cones now, which is cleaner).  

Are the other beaches overrun with kids? Hard to get a lounge chair?

No and no.  

Admittedly, we only sail in the fall, which is low season.  

Since you haven't cruised in a while, here are a couple things of which you might not be aware: 

- You'll need to download the Royal Caribbean app on your phone.  Once you've done that, you'll be able to go ahead and make dinner reservations NOW, and you'll be able to see your menus NOW.  

- Once you're onboard, you'll use that app to make show reservations.  

- The muster drill -- obviously still mandatory -- is now a video to watch online.  As soon as you're on board, you'll go to your muster station at your leisure, speak to a crew member and be checked off.  

- When you're 45 days out, you'll check in online (again, through the app) and claim a 30-minute boarding time.  

- The app takes the place of the paper newspaper that used to be left on your bed every evening.  If you want a paper copy, ask your stateroom attendant, and you'll get one.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LACruiser5 said:

Bummer, but who needs more food at midnight anyway? 😂😂  17 years ago they were just starting the freestyle dining with the different restaurants but we didn't pay extra for MOST of those either...Things change 🤷‍♀️ I'm just not sure that $2000+ for 4 nights is a great value (at 30% off no less) for a vacation. We've mostly been doing All-Inclusive resorts since my husband swore off cruising and we've gotten some amazing deals...we shall see!  I'm just hoping we picked the right cruise to jump back in on cruising...

Doesn’t sound like you got a great deal. Deals depend on so many things. RCI is known for an expensive drinks package. My upcoming NCL is about 1400$ solo for 15 nights OV including grats, specialty dinning, wifi (enough to check in a few times a day on sea days), $50 per excursion. The full drinks package would have been another 350$ ish for the whole cruise. That is a good deal in my opinion. 

Cruising has changed since you last cruised but this was accelerated even more since the pandemic. Many lines don’t offer twice a day room service anymore either. Food quality has changed, menus have changed, no more midnight buffets etc. Formal nights have become more casual on most lines as well. I hope you truly enjoy yourself on your cruise. Just know things have changed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

My upcoming NCL is about 1400$ solo for 15 nights OV including grats, specialty dinning, wifi (enough to check in a few times a day on sea days), $50 per excursion.

I looked at NCL since they had the great Free at Sea offers but they only had a 7 night that would work for me.  It was proportionately about the same as the 4 night I'm booked on with RC, even with the freebies.  It might be because I'm just now booking for this February. Seems like you get better deals when you book further out.