Question about the speciality dining perk of Free at Sea

junieh

Hi,

This will be our first time sailing with NCL so I am trying to understand the ropes. Our booking is for a 10 night cruise in a balcony cabin so we get 2 speciality dinings in our Free at Sea package but is that 2 per cabin or 2 per person for guests 1 and 2? In other words, do we get to have one meal where we are both covered or two meals for two? I looked everywhere but couldn't find a confirmation of this so I would appreciate any input. Many thanks!

55 minutes ago, shof515 said:

In the terms and conditions of the free at sea, the dinning package is only:

Applicable to guests 1-2 on the reservation

guest 1 and 2 can go to any specially dinning restaurant twice

Being a little picky. "go to any specialty dining restaurant twice" sounds like you can go two times to any specialty restaurant. Rather, I'd say, guests 1 and 2 each get to have 2 meals at specialty restaurants as part of their FAS. Additional meals at specialty restaurants include costs. Also, if there are additional people in the room, the guest can purchase dining credits online for them. NCL has been running a special $82.80 per person for two meals for the first two people in the room. (The $82.80 includes the gratuity.) I don't know if you can get the special 2 meals for $82.80 rate for additional people in the room as there are only 2 people in our party.

13 minutes ago, GALSews said:

Being a little picky. "go to any specialty dining restaurant twice" sounds like you can go two times to any specialty restaurant. Rather, I'd say, guests 1 and 2 each get to have 2 meals at specialty restaurants as part of their FAS. Additional meals at specialty restaurants include costs. Also, if there are additional people in the room, the guest can purchase dining credits online for them. NCL has been running a special $82.80 per person for two meals for the first two people in the room. (The $82.80 includes the gratuity.) I don't know if you can get the special 2 meals for $82.80 rate for additional people in the room as there are only 2 people in our party.

The $82.80pp is the cost to upgrade an additional 2 credit if you already have FAS.  The cost for 2 credits for other guests in the cabin is $118.80.  

Edited by Liljo22
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GALSews said:

On your first point, sounds like you are suggesting that they might want to dine separately.

I suppose that's possible.  🙄

As for the additional passengers - OP only asked about guests one and two - there doesn't seem to be others in the cabin.

Thank you all. That's good news as for some reason, I'd assumed we only got one meal for the two of us. We do actually have our 12 year old son with us in the cabin so he will need a package. I'd assumed we would pay a la carte for him but from your replies, I get the feeling that pre-purchasing the credits is a better way to go, is that correct? 

Also, am I right in thinking our drinks package will be valid in the speciality restaurants as well?

Thanks again!

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Guests 1 and 2 each have two meals. 

Not dinners. Meals.  

For example, we could go to Food Republic for lunch and use one dining credit. Which we do. 

Very true. For whatever reason, I've not eaten in Food Republic. Lunch has been MDR on the Garden Cafe.

Edited by GALSews

5 hours ago, junieh said:

Thank you all. That's good news as for some reason, I'd assumed we only got one meal for the two of us. We do actually have our 12 year old son with us in the cabin so he will need a package. I'd assumed we would pay a la carte for him but from your replies, I get the feeling that pre-purchasing the credits is a better way to go, is that correct? 

Also, am I right in thinking our drinks package will be valid in the speciality restaurants as well?

Thanks again!

This is from NCL. If you son will still be twelve when you sail, if he likes the kids' menu, you won't need to purchase the package. Just in case, you might want to keep a copy somewhere to show, Here is the link: Family Cruises: Cruise Dining, Entertainment & Activities | Norwegian Cruise Line (ncl.com) 

image.png.851dbc9500ebf46af155e447a3f688a7.png

Edited by GALSews
updating

That's great news, thank you. I hadn't seen that before. He is still going to be 12 although I'm not sure about the kids menu as he is a big eater! Me on the other hand... not so much! I wonder if they would be OK with us ordering from the kids menu for him and also sharing mine? I guess we can always order whatever else he wants a la carte so perhaps not getting a package for him is the better option for us...

21 minutes ago, GALSews said:

This is from NCL. If you son will still be twelve when you sail, if he likes the kids' menu, you won't need to purchase the package. Just in case, you might want to keep a copy somewhere to show, Here is the link: Family Cruises: Cruise Dining, Entertainment & Activities | Norwegian Cruise Line (ncl.com) 

image.png.851dbc9500ebf46af155e447a3f688a7.png

The free kids menu is the same at every restaurant and is just normal kids items.  Cheeseburgers and chicken nuggets type food.

Just did a search online and found the menu. You are right, it is very boring and my son is too much of a foodie to eat from that menu :) We booked the Teppenyaki for one of our meals which I know to be a fixed price. The second meal will probably be at Q Smokehouse and it seems like it is going to be more or less the same price whether we get the package or just pay a la carte for my son.

22 hours ago, junieh said:

That's great news, thank you. I hadn't seen that before. He is still going to be 12 although I'm not sure about the kids menu as he is a big eater! Me on the other hand... not so much! I wonder if they would be OK with us ordering from the kids menu for him and also sharing mine? I guess we can always order whatever else he wants a la carte so perhaps not getting a package for him is the better option for us...

You may order all of the 4 courses you are entitled to (both adults). How that food gets consumed is no ones business other than the three of you.

Thank you. I don't actually eat meat so my food consumption at Q Smokehouse will be limited to the side dishes :) We picked that restaurant as my husband and my son really enjoy a BBQ so if my son can have the food that I am entitled to and I can order a couple more side dishes and an extra dessert, that will be great for us.

2 hours ago, junieh said:

Thank you. I don't actually eat meat so my food consumption at Q Smokehouse will be limited to the side dishes 🙂 We picked that restaurant as my husband and my son really enjoy a BBQ so if my son can have the food that I am entitled to and I can order a couple more side dishes and an extra dessert, that will be great for us.

Sounds good to me.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, junieh said:

Thank you. I don't actually eat meat so my food consumption at Q Smokehouse will be limited to the side dishes 🙂 We picked that restaurant as my husband and my son really enjoy a BBQ so if my son can have the food that I am entitled to and I can order a couple more side dishes and an extra dessert, that will be great for us.

We went to Q on the Joy in September. The portions are huge!. My husband and I used one specialty credit and split the meal. If you use 2 credits, it will most likely be more than enough for the 3 of you. Especially since you will only eat the sides. 

• Like 1

Sorry I have one last question on this topic. When booking speciality dining, all the restaurants and time slots came up with an option to book for 2 / 4 / 6 guests. There is 3 of us and I checked with my TA and she advised to book for 4. Is this how this really works at NCL? Have I done the right thing by booking for 4 and will they be OK when only 3 of us turn up on the day?

48 minutes ago, junieh said:

Sorry I have one last question on this topic. When booking speciality dining, all the restaurants and time slots came up with an option to book for 2 / 4 / 6 guests. There is 3 of us and I checked with my TA and she advised to book for 4. Is this how this really works at NCL? Have I done the right thing by booking for 4 and will they be OK when only 3 of us turn up on the day?

Booking for 4 is fine for groups of 3. The table is the same. There will just be 1 unused seat at the table. There is no fee for the missing 4th person. 

• Like 2