Onboard Credits (OBC) and More

pappy1022

As a percentage of the cruise fare, what is the typical OBC amount that one could expect from a travel agent for a Paul Gauguin cruise? What can you use these onboard credits for? Laundry services, SPA, shore excursions, etc.? I just booked an 11 day cruise for 2025 and this will be my first time cruising with Paul Gauguin and my first time to the French Polynesia. In the past, I have cruised with Oceania, Crystal and Regent. What should I expect as far as service, food, ship shore excursions, and the overall experience? 

5 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

As a percentage of the cruise fare, what is the typical OBC amount that one could expect from a travel agent for a Paul Gauguin cruise? What can you use these onboard credits for? Laundry services, SPA, shore excursions, etc.? I just booked an 11 day cruise for 2025 and this will be my first time cruising with Paul Gauguin and my first time to the French Polynesia. In the past, I have cruised with Oceania, Crystal and Regent. What should I expect as far as service, food, ship shore excursions, and the overall experience? 

You do know that Regent has a ship that visits FP ... I'm on one at the end of January ... 10 days all in FP. Looking forward to it.

2 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

You do know that Regent has a ship that visits FP ... I'm on one at the end of January ... 10 days all in FP. Looking forward to it.

Looking forward to your comparative review.  PG has been described so often as perfectly suited to FP that I wonder how Regent (or any non-specialized ship) will be able to compare.

4 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Looking forward to your comparative review.  PG has been described so often as perfectly suited to FP that I wonder how Regent (or any non-specialized ship) will be able to compare.

I mention Regent simply because the poster has enjoyed Regent ships in the past. I just happen to be on one in FP next month.

7 minutes ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

I mention Regent simply because the poster has enjoyed Regent ships in the past. I just happen to be on one in FP next month.

I didn't suspect you of defecting 😉 – but seriously, I expect there is a different experience between PG (and maybe Windstar, because they spend so much time in FP) and most worldwide cruise lines that only call occasionally and have much deeper draft.

17 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Yes I do know that Regent and other mid sized ships and larger ships visit FP. I considered Regent but after doing my due diligence, I felt like Paul Gauguin would provide a better overall experience. Regent only offers a couple of cruises per year in FP and it’s at the peak of the rainy season. Although I have loved my Regent cruises, my priority is the destination. I cruise to see things and experience things. I think PG will provide a better cultural and immersive experience than Regent. I even queried the Regent chat board to compare Regent to PG, and many of the Regent long timers said PG was the better choice for the FP area. The biggest expressed concern about PG was the change of ownership. I also wanted to travel in May or June so that eliminated many of the “part time” FP cruise lines. Anyway, I made the decision, and once I make a decision, I never look back. I just look forward to the next journey. 

My other question may have been lost in the bigger question but what can you use shipboard credits for on a PG cruise? I have read mixed messages as to whether shipboard credits can be used for ship port excursions. That is what I usually spend my credits on (and the SPA) when traveling with other cruise lines. Can they be used for the laundry package and shore excursions? Those are the 2 things I am most interested in. Thank you in advance for your feedback.