Broome and Pearl Luggers Museum

konatyme

Everyone was so helpful with my question about Adelaide that I thought I'd give this one a try. We are trying to decide what to do in Broome on our Oct/Nov 2024 cruise. I see that Princess has a tour which is just a bus to Cable Beach, but that wouldn't get us to the Pearl Luggers Museum. They also have a tour for a pearl farm that seems to maybe include the museum, but I'd like to know if the local bus in Broome can also get us to the Pearl Luggers Museum or if we have to do a tour. I can't seem to find info that tells me whether the museum is in town or at a distance from town (and, if it's out of town, whether the local bus stops nearby). Thanks!

The Pearl Luggers Museum is in town near Town Beach. I will have to check if it is on the local bus route as I usually visit on a land trip. I have meant multiple times to go to the museum but either timing doesn't work out for open hours or I get too busy. It is fairly small.

If the pearl farm excursion is with Willie Creek the farm is a distance out of town. It was quite a few years ago I did it on a land trip. If it is Willie Creek if you check their website they give a good description of timing and distance.

The Pearl Luggers Museum is in town in the Chinatown part of Broome, right on the beach. There will be shuttles into the town from the dock which will likely drop you off at the Visitor's Centre which is perhaps a ten minute walk to the Pearl Luggers Museum.

This link may help - Broome Bus Services

Edited by possum52

We were on a Holland America cruise in November, 2022 that stopped in Broome.  There was s shuttle offered by the city that took us from the pier (about three miles from the city center) to the main shopping area.  Broome was hot and humid.  We did not find any excursions that interested us.  We took the shuttle into the city center, found a shady place to have drinks and snacks, and went back to the ship.  Some people did pearl shopping.  The Pearl Luggers museum is near the city center.  

13 hours ago, konatyme said:

Everyone was so helpful with my question about Adelaide that I thought I'd give this one a try. We are trying to decide what to do in Broome on our Oct/Nov 2024 cruise. I see that Princess has a tour which is just a bus to Cable Beach, but that wouldn't get us to the Pearl Luggers Museum. They also have a tour for a pearl farm that seems to maybe include the museum, but I'd like to know if the local bus in Broome can also get us to the Pearl Luggers Museum or if we have to do a tour. I can't seem to find info that tells me whether the museum is in town or at a distance from town (and, if it's out of town, whether the local bus stops nearby). Thanks!

This may be of interest to you. https://www.williecreekpearls.com.au/pages/pearl-luggers-tour

You would also have time for this. https://www.broomeandaround.com.au/broome-panoramic-town-tour/day-tour

• 2 months later...

Hi Possum 52 - it's some time since I've been on the boards (can't find my way round??)

I wonder if you could help me with a couple of queries?

Does the Port transfer bus come down to the ship to pick people up in Broome - or do you have to walk over the bridge? If walking - what is the distance to the Port? We have some older friends coming with us - and we have never been up to Broome ourselves - so every little bit of info helps.

Also, anyone been to Exmouth - is that a tender port? we will be on the Pacific Explorer.

Any info would be good.

Cheers and thanks

Edited by dizzy1948

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2024 at 5:02 AM, dizzy1948 said:

Hi Possum 52 - it's some time since I've been on the boards (can't find my way round??)

Does the Port transfer bus come down to the ship to pick people up in Broome - or do you have to walk over the bridge? If walking - what is the distance to the Port? We have some older friends coming with us - and we have never been up to Broome ourselves - so every little bit of info helps.

Also, anyone been to Exmouth - is that a tender port? we will be on the Pacific Explorer.

Any info would be good.

Cheers and thanks

On 2/26/2024 at 5:02 AM, dizzy1948 said:

Any info would be good.

Cheers and thanks

I organized a small group tour with BROOME AND AROUND. They picked us up right at the ship (special entry pass). Dropped us off at the ship's shuttle in town after a super tour. We had Gabby who was great.   There are generally shuttle busses because they don't want you walking around.

On 3/15/2024 at 11:45 PM, Mrs f. said:

I organized a small group tour with BROOME AND AROUND. They picked us up right at the ship (special entry pass). Dropped us off at the ship's shuttle in town after a super tour. We had Gabby who was great.   There are generally shuttle busses because they don't want you walking around.

Thanks for that - sorry for the late reply - doing stuff!!! We are in a caravan club now so we're away a lot'

Will check out Broome and around - thanks 🙂 

12 minutes ago, dizzy1948 said:

Thanks for that - sorry for the late reply - doing stuff!!! We are in a caravan club now so we're away a lot'

Will check out Broome and around - thanks 🙂 

Their morning tour looked great but we weren't docking until later. I emailed the owner and she offered me a group tour that met our needs.  She has a special permit that allows her to park right next to the ship . Picked us up there and dropped off by the shuttle bus (very good liquor store across the street).. I had many more people wanting this than I had room for