tipping

eightofninekev

We always tip the Cabin Steward and the waiter and assistant waiter. All the crew do such a great job and when you think if you visit a restaurant at home you would tip 10% for the meal , taking into account the number of meals you would have on a cruise tipping each person £20, £30 or £40 for the whole cruise is a good deal. 

Edited by Jazzytelly
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jazzytelly said:

We always tip the Cabin Steward and the waiter and assistant waiter. All the crew do such a great job and when you think if you visit a restaurant at home you would tip 10% for the meal , taking into account the number of meals you would have on a cruise tipping each person £20, £30 or £40 for the whole cruise is a good deal. 

Again tipping is a personal thing for individuals. With the enforcement of a minimal wage in the UK is there any reason to tip extra in resturants? Its another "well we always used to do it that way" moment. Do people tip those who work in shops, work the tills, work in fast food restaurants, all those others who are also on minimal wage? Tipping restaurant staff is something that is just ingrained in people. 

Reward above and beyond and great customer service, i am totally in with that. But tip just to tip as its expected or what we always used to do.....Na.

Maybe i am just a little bias, my wife works in a well known supermarket on minimal wage and has to deal with a lot more customer issues, good and bad rather than someone in a restaurant (which she has also done) but she never gets tips.....🤔

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Jazzytelly said:

But would you tip extra in the restaurant at home if the tip had already been included in the bill?

Many people, me included, tip in restaurants, but something amazing needs to have taken place for me to tip twice.

Edited by laslomas
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Jazzytelly said:

But why when tipping is included in cruise fare already paid. So in effect tipping your waivers and cabin steward twice.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, majortom10 said:

So when do you stop 3 times 4 times and main question why?

I just tip my cabin steward and the waiters. I don’t miss the money and I am sure it helps them. I can afford to tip extra and don’t see why not, particularly the waiters. I am very fussy and I don’t have a single meal without asking for some alternative to what’s on offer. If they have sorted it for me I feel thy have earnt  a bonus by the end of the week. 

• Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 4:43 PM, mitooki said:

I tipped cabin steward on day 1 of our cruise last month. Worked out well, room was serviced quickly and always completed before we returned from breakfast. Plenty of smiles and efficient help when required too.

Edited by FangedRose

2 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

That's not tipping, that's bribery. Not done in the UK!

It is if you are sensible!

Back in the days of wine waiters a note slipped with the card on day one ensured you never had to wait, and at hotels a tip to the pool staff on day one always gets you loungers in prime positions without needing to disturb yourself from bed. 

1 minute ago, 9265359 said:

It is if you are sensible!

Back in the days of wine waiters a note slipped with the card on day one ensured you never had to wait, and at hotels a tip to the pool staff on day one always gets you loungers in prime positions without needing to disturb yourself from bed. 

I informed the waiter on day one that my wine order would be the same every night. Every night without fail my wine was waiting for me. Only time it wasn't was during a storm and he wasn't sure who was going to show. No bribery needed! It did mean he could organise it in advance of service.

9 hours ago, Pine Man said:

Which is precicely what he supposed to do!

Doesn't always happen though!

I guess the point is if you're very likely to tip a little anyway, might as well do it upfront to save keeping them guessing. I've never had bad service after doing it...

10 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

I informed the waiter on day one that my wine order would be the same every night. Every night without fail my wine was waiting for me. Only time it wasn't was during a storm and he wasn't sure who was going to show. No bribery needed! It did mean he could organise it in advance of service.

That only works if you eat the same style of thing every night. 

This topic raises its ugly head at least every couple of months.  As this is a P&O board we all know tipping is included, if you want to tip extra then do so, but why do you feel the need to tell everyone else?    If you don't want to tip extra then that's fine too because you have already paid them in your fare - don't let those who won't miss the money make you feel bad.

Its your holiday - enjoy it your way!

• Like 14

Just now, 9265359 said:

Fair enough. Your palate your choice, but most people are not like that. 

Not in my experience. On my last cruise people would order a bottle of wine to last at least two nights, with no thoughts on what might be on the second nights menu.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

Not in my experience. On my last cruise people would order a bottle of wine to last at least two nights, with no thoughts on what might be on the second nights menu.

Some, not all. 

In my experience most people exercise some variance and would not for example drink a big bold robust red with a delicate dish or a light sensitive delicate white with a big lump of red meat. 

1 minute ago, 9265359 said:

Some, not all. 

In my experience most people exercise some variance and would not for example drink a big bold robust red with a delicate dish or a light sensitive delicate white with a big lump of red meat. 

So, if I don't like red wine (which I don't) I'm not allowed to have steak? I thought such silly rules went out with frock coats and corsets.

• Like 12

53 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

So, if I don't like red wine (which I don't) I'm not allowed to have steak? I thought such silly rules went out with frock coats and corsets.

They have. I went to an Ollie Smith talk onboard a P&O cruise some years ago and he said there was a lot of snobbery with regards to wine. He said order what you like it's your money if you don't like white wine nothing wrong with drinking red wine with fish and the same vice versa with red meat. We only drink one white wine which is not usually stocked on P&O so we drink red wine whatever the meal.

• Like 3