Should I avoid rooms near Elevator banks?

VIKINGCRUISER

Looking to go on a cruise on NCL Pearl.

I spoke with a TA and one of the rooms I was given in the category I am looking (BA) Is right next to the elevator bank.

Yes, I can be a light sleeper, but don't intend to be in too early every night (Midnight or so).

Just wondering from people who have had a room next to the elevator banks, is there is a lot of noise from the doors opening and closing and from the people (especially towards the end of the evening), or the rooms are pretty well sound proof?

Any opinions appreciated!

Edited by VIKINGCRUISER

You might hear the ding of the elevator arrival, or conversations from those getting off.  Cabin doors aren't soundproof and often have vents .  People passing in the corridor can be oblivious to who can hear their conversations.  EM

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VIKINGCRUISER said:

Just wondering from people who have had a room next to the elevator banks, is there is a lot of noise from the doors opening and closing and from the people (especially towards the end of the evening), or the rooms are pretty well sound proof?

You might ask on the NCL board, specifying ship and approximate location.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/64-norwegian-cruise-line/

I have been not-far from elevators with no regret. I have heard people ON a ship, complain that they heard dings all night! Many answers on CC that there is no problem. I have booked but not sailed, the cabin nearest the glass elevator -- that people say "has no privacy" (what would I do on my balcony that needs privacy?). Anyway, all of that was on HAL ships so no particular insight for you. 

Not specific to NCL, but most elevator banks (and stairways) are separated by a hallway from the staterooms.  The rooms are generally well insulated and the "ding" in most cases is very quiet.  The primary advantage of stateroom locations near the elevator banks is convenience in using them without a long walk to get around the ship.  My bigger concerns would not be so much with elevator noise, but with disrespectful passengers - mainly children - running around the hallways and the elevator banks.  But that also is unpredictable and can occur anywhere on the ship.

We like elevator locations and frequently choose them for their convenience and have never had an issue with that.

We once had a cabin on Celebrity, Infinity, I think.  I kept hearing an elevator ding but we weren’t near elevators.  But one day the service door opposite our cabin was open, and there was an elevator there which was what I was hearing.  EM

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

We once had a cabin on Celebrity, Infinity, I think.  I kept hearing an elevator ding but we weren’t near elevators.  But one day the service door opposite our cabin was open, and there was an elevator there which was what I was hearing.  EM

....and the service elevator areas on most ships in our experience are not particularly well insulated as they are typically bare metal construction.  So when the hall access door is opened the activity in that area can be heard.  Fortunately, that usually was day time activity when we were near one. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind

• 3 weeks later...