Port Everglades rent a car

md80fan

we will be driving from central florida to catch a cruise. We prefer to rent a car each way instead of driving our own and deal with parking. Anybody have experiences with who might be the best in terms of office location and best shuttle back and forth to the cruise port. We will not be going to the airport. We used Avis earlier this year for Miami and it worked out for the most part but want to see if anybody has a recommendation for Lauderdale. 

Just sharing some logistics about rental cars and FLL, (since it is one of my least favorite airports).  It is in a central area in the garage and requires a walk or shuttle to get to the terminals/taxis/Ubers.  Sharing so you can plan your timing and logistics accordingly.  

If you have to use the FLL airport as the drop off location, I would drop the rest of the family and bags before the car.  That way only one person has to deal with the transfer from the rental center to the taxi/Uber with minimal baggage.  It is an easy ride over from the airport but that extra step will take a little time.  

There are a few off airport rentals that might work, you might look at those options to avoid the airport. I believe Hertz, Sixt and maybe Enterprise have off airport sites that you might want to check out.  I believe some might have a shuttle to the port but if not an Uber from there would also be possible.

If you are dropping off a rental vehicle at FLL there are no companies that provide free shuttle service over to Port Everglades. Normally a cab will provide you with the service for around twenty dollars plus tip for the short fifteen minute ride. At the conclusion of your cruise grab a cab, Uber or Lyft for the short ride over to FLL. Personally, I normally rent from either Budget or Thifty which are owned by the same company.

Several of the rental companies maintain rental offices for the port and do offer shuttles between those offices and the ships. These offices are distinct from the airport snd are NOT in the same location.

The rental car companies don't want to offer free transfers from the ships to the airport.

Can anyone comment on the port rental offices?  Specifically Avis, as I can get my corporate rate there and use their shuttle.  I'm trying to get a car for the day as we have a late evening flight, but some of the reviews for that port office are terrible, saying cars are frequently not available despite having a confirmed reservation.  I'm thinking it might be better just to Uber over to FLL Avis.

We cruise frequently out of PE, there is a significant dollar amount difference between renting at Fll and the port! So much of a difference that we take a taxi to the port rental($18 -22), and there is Avis/budget(EV3) or Hertz(HLE),also Sixt across the highway. All have shuttles to the ships and pick up again. In October the rental (one day) at the airport was $122 and at the port was $35. After the cruise we reverse the procedure and return the car to the port(after our 8 day cruise the car cost was $38, the Uber to the airport, $22 + tip.

on cruise disembarkation days there is a crowd and wait, but always a car if you have a reservation. This week(12/21/23) we have Budget both times, in February we pick up at Sixt and after cruise Hertz - all depends on price.

Hal

On 12/17/2023 at 8:53 PM, 6246994 said:

Can anyone comment on the port rental offices?  Specifically Avis, as I can get my corporate rate there and use their shuttle.  I'm trying to get a car for the day as we have a late evening flight, but some of the reviews for that port office are terrible, saying cars are frequently not available despite having a confirmed reservation.  I'm thinking it might be better just to Uber over to FLL Avis.

Used Avis 2520 Miami Road this past cruise. Drop off and shuttle was fine Dec. 12. Pickup yesterday Dec 22 from Azamara Onward didnt go well. Phone recordings said shuttles are every 20-30 min.

After an hour and ten min with no shuttle. Had to taxi over to Counter. Informed counter of no pick up and no offer of discount/cab fare. Car only had 3/4 of tank of fuel so had to go back in to inform and screw around while filling up to get the 3/4 tank. Uber/Taxi to FLL to pick up from National would have been a much faster,easier, and a bit cheaper choice.