Welcome aboard Champagne/Proseco Gone??

Sandy1975

I don't remember this on my April Beyond cruise, and certainly not on the "tryout" Ascent cruises last month.  I did have some in the room as we were in a sky suite.  As for the tote bag, in April it was in the room at the start of the cruise.  Last month on Ascent the room steward left it for us with the yellow excursion towels the day before we were in Cozumel.  So we got it on day #3.  

We have done two Celebrity cruises post-pandemic and neither had the welcome glass of bubbly.  We were on the 3rd post-pandemic Reflection cruise with only 800 passengers and were told the absence of welcome bubbly was due to COVID restrictions.  Now, I'm sure it's just a cost-savings measure.  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I'll put it another way, if X was concerned about crowding, besides relocating the welcome bubbly, where else did they attempt to reduce crowding?

I think it's more about wasted Prosecco than anything myself.  

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, islabahia said:

We never understood the welcome Prosecco.  How are you supposed to hold the glass when you are bringing carryon bags (rollons) with you?

Back in the day on HAL, a staff member greeted you at the door and took your luggage to the room so you could carry your glass of welcome (and cheap) champagne. 

21 minutes ago, islabahia said:

We never understood the welcome Prosecco.  How are you supposed to hold the glass when you are bringing carryon bags (rollons) with you?

I get on board with as little as possible on my person.  My small canvas tote bag gets it done.  🙂

1 hour ago, islabahia said:

Since you don't want to experience that bad taste any longer than you have to, you don't need to hold it more than a couple of seconds because, down the hatch in one gulp, it goes 🙃

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Since you don't want to experience that bad taste any longer than you have to, you don't need to hold it more than a couple of seconds because, down the hatch in one gulp, it goes 🙃

Winning^^^

• Like 1

1 hour ago, islabahia said:

Sounds like a personal problem. No one is insisting you stop and except the glass. No thank you...

On 12/10/2023 at 1:01 PM, Sandy1975 said:

... it was a nice touch and one thing X was known for. 

It was a nice touch. Ahh, I'm home. It was a "switch" to flip into vacation mode after the packing, drive to the airport, the flight, the hotel, the cab, the check in process, the long walk to board, and right after you board...sparkling wine, Cheers! <sigh>

• Like 4

Just to close on this. I was inquiring about something else and since I had this person's attention I asked about the welcome aboard bubbly. I would think this person is knowledgeable due to the role held so I can say that I "confirmed" that this nice touch might be a thing of the past. I was told this is decided at the ship level and that explains why it is offered on some ships and not others. I don't know why X would want to be inconsistent "on purpose" but it is what it is.

Trip has been good so far. A little rocky and wheater could be better but no one controls that! Good customer service and I'm pleasantly surprised by the food.

Edited by Sandy1975

On 12/10/2023 at 3:07 PM, champagnecruiser said:

I agree, it was a nice touch and sad it’s gone. I know I can have better at a Bar but it was something for everyone to acknowledge the start of their cruise!

Agree. Was a nice welcome aboard.    We havent seen that since  covid shutdown. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

Agree. Was a nice welcome aboard.    We havent seen that since  covid shutdown. 

There has been a modified welcome aboard sparkling beverage on at least some ships.  In the Cafe al Bacio look for a tray of flutes with bubbly on the counter.  I've seen four or five flutes.  Folks are welcome to pick up a glass.  Really isn't obvious unless you look for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/10/2023 at 2:19 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

We only sailed on X once pre-pandemic in the summer of 2019, we boarded at peak time as there was a long line, and we didn't notice any log jam but I'm sure it does happen.  My WAG (Wild A$$ Guess), it takes additional labor to post someone at the gangway door, someone has to transport the bubbly to them,  transport the clean glasses, and transport the dirty glasses.  Having it at Cafe Al Bacio greatly reduces labor and the overall amount consumed as many don't know about it or will just skip it due to having the drink package which

Makes sense, NutsAboutGolf, since both the cruise and hotel industries are complaining about staff shortages.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2023 at 2:19 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

We only sailed on X once pre-pandemic in the summer of 2019, we boarded at peak time as there was a long line, and we didn't notice any log jam but I'm sure it does happen.  My WAG (Wild A$$ Guess), it takes additional labor to post someone at the gangway door, someone has to transport the bubbly to them,  transport the clean glasses, and transport the dirty glasses.  Having it at Cafe Al Bacio greatly reduces labor and the overall amount consumed as many don't know about it or will just skip it due to having the drink package which

You left out of the jamokes who leave their empty glass in the elevator 

• Like 1