Ocean Cay

safarigal

15 hours ago, safarigal said:

I remember that one of the visits to Ocean Cay had been cancelled due to the weather. Is Ocean Cay on the itinerary for the current Explora 1 cruise?

It would be great to get some feedback before our visit on December 21st :).

We cruised in November and couldn't make it in

4 hours ago, Followthemargarita said:

Hi I’m on board now and it’s our next stop. I hear rumours that they are not confident we’ll be able to dock but we’re still hoping it does happen. Not sure what else we will do otherwise, I’ll keep you posted!

Fingers crossed that you are able to dock. I’d love to hear what it’s like there 😀

58 minutes ago, travelwide said:

It is very nice. Our question is how are they handling all of the EJ passengers at the small YC area?

Only the Residences guests go to the small areas (well that was the plan last time) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Followthemargarita said:

Well once again it didn’t happen so all 276 pax here don’t know, but it looked nice in the distance

Oh no! Thanks for letting us know. I'm so sorry. Hopefully the weather will be kind to us, but the forecast isn't too promising...........

We sensed generally the captain is very cautious (no bad thing). Docking and undocking generally were much more cautious and slower than we’ve experienced in the same ports with other lines even in no breeze 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, uktog said:

We sensed generally the captain is very cautious (no bad thing). Docking and undocking generally were much more cautious and slower than we’ve experienced in the same ports with other lines even in no breeze 

100% TOTALLY agree!

I felt very much as home as we are parking in a similar fashion with our new car!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, uktog said:

Formerly I had a seagoing career and can attest that denting your ship can be a career limiting move....  No, not me, saw it happen to others..

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

From the Ocean Cay daily posted earlier it looks like Ocean House will only act as a bar, not as a restaurant. So it looks like Residence guests will get a dedicated bar with enclosed seating area and private access to the worst beach on the island.

I suppose Residence guests will head back to eat with the others at the Lighthouse Bar/Food Truck or back on the ship.

The included amenities seem nice,  but I'm very interested to hear how the Explora crew runs the Ocean Cay facilities. 

Yay! It looks like we will be able to go ashore at Ocean Cay today! We are not docking there as the weather is not conducive to this apparently, but at least they are going to launch the tenders so we can go ashore and see what it is all about 🙂

15 minutes ago, Raintree said:

Read that today,December 21 passengers tendered in to Ocean Cay.  How did it go?  We have never had to tender in to Ocean Cay.  If the weather was bad, we just could not go.  Just curious. Thank you.

We had a great day. It was a bit windy but the sun was out, and lying on the beach was great. There was food at the food truck and the bars were open. I really enjoyed it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, safarigal said:

"There was food at the food truck and the bars were open."

Do the food trucks serve the same burgers and such, as with regular MSC ships' days at the island?

As I understand it, MSC days still include a buffet, in addition to the food trucks. Was the island buffet available for Explora? 

Thank you very much for your observations.

1 hour ago, no1talks said:

Do the food trucks serve the same burgers and such, as with regular MSC ships' days at the island?

As I understand it, MSC days still include a buffet, in addition to the food trucks. Was the island buffet available for Explora? 

Thank you very much for your observations.

I don't know if we had limited service because we were taking the tenders to the shore, but it looked like the food truck had paninis and burgers, and there was a separate table set up that seemed to have salads. The entertainment director stressed that we should eat at the Emporium before going ashore as there would be a limited food service.

• Like 1

I was on Ocean Cay same day as safari girl. Tenders were rocky and some people chose not to go. We were first tender and got there about 1:00.It was a sunny , windy day. We went to North beach and were only ones there. No bar or food there. South beach had a few people and I think a bar open. Water was chilly. Never saw any food truck. Did get some ice cream and a drink near the tender . Workers told us it is often windy there until April. 

I want to think out loud on the OC topic.  Having been to OC (3 times) on MSC, while in their Yacht Club, it is a favorite day (for DW and myself) because we simply enjoy beach days.  When I read about what EJ does for their ships in OC, I think to myself, "big deal....it does not sound as good as what we have when we cruise in the Yacht Club."  

Given the price paid by passengers on EJ1, and all the luxury hype, it does sound like all they get is a downgraded OC experience, when compared to the YC visits.  And we do agree with the post that the beach, adjacent to the Ocean Bar/Restaurant is one of the worst accessible beaches on the island.   While we always enjoyed the atmosphere at the YC area (apparently reserved for the Ocean Residences) DW and I would usually walk (some distance) to other beaches when we wanted to go swimming/snorkeling.   That being said, we always enjoyed having lunch at the dedicated restaurant where the lobster roll was our usual favorite.  If that restaurant is not opened, and servicing a unique high-end menu, than those in the Ocean Residences would be getting a lesser experience than the folks who hung out elsewhere on the island where the beaches are nicer and the food options somewhat more convenient.

Hank

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I want to think out loud on the OC topic.  Having been to OC (3 times) on MSC, while in their Yacht Club, it is a favorite day (for DW and myself) because we simply enjoy beach days.  When I read about what EJ does for their ships in OC, I think to myself, "big deal....it does not sound as good as what we have when we cruise in the Yacht Club."  

Given the price paid by passengers on EJ1, and all the luxury hype, it does sound like all they get is a downgraded OC experience, when compared to the YC visits.  And we do agree with the post that the beach, adjacent to the Ocean Bar/Restaurant is one of the worst accessible beaches on the island.   While we always enjoyed the atmosphere at the YC area (apparently reserved for the Ocean Residences) DW and I would usually walk (some distance) to other beaches when we wanted to go swimming/snorkeling.   That being said, we always enjoyed having lunch at the dedicated restaurant where the lobster roll was our usual favorite.  If that restaurant is not opened, and servicing a unique high-end menu, than those in the Ocean Residences would be getting a lesser experience than the folks who hung out elsewhere on the island where the beaches are nicer and the food options somewhat more convenient.

Hank

I was told that our experience was not what the usual experience will be because of the weather conditions. There will be more food and facilities when they can dock rather than tender. It was certainly a lovely day on the beach with ample liquid refreshments and there was food available although we had eaten before we went ashore so we didn't try it, and I am not sure of the quality.

I haven't heard what the experience was for the folks in the Ocean Residences.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, safarigal said:

I was told that our experience was not what the usual experience will be because of the weather conditions. There will be more food and facilities when they can dock rather than tender. It was certainly a lovely day on the beach with ample liquid refreshments and there was food available although we had eaten before we went ashore so we didn't try it, and I am not sure of the quality.

I haven't heard what the experience was for the folks in the Ocean Residences.

OC is a large expansive place.  When a large MSC ship is docked, all the island's venues are open so there are many places where one can get food, drink, etc. including the dedicated restaurant in the YC area.  My question is "how much of the island will they open and staff" with only a few hundred visiting passengers?  

By the way, perhaps I should mention a comparison to what they do on Seabourn (with a maximum of 600 passengers).  SB does not use a private island, but will often include a beach day at Carambola Beach Club (which they lease for the day) on St Kitts.  Folks are tendered ashore to the private dock at that leased facility.  There is one long beach, with plenty of loungers and facilities.  Waiters ply the beach serving French Champagne and taking other drink orders.  Around lunch time, the Captain, Hotel Manager and a few others come ashore in a speed boat bringing several pounds of caviar which is served at sea, from a surf board, along with lots of champagne,  Lunch is a large BBQ (in a covered area) where one can get unlimited  steak, lobster, etc.  That is what we expect from a luxury line!

Hank