Seeking last minute tips for the Seascape - should I pre-purchase excursions/restaurants?

jmsnyc

Cruise sailing next Saturday so quickly approaching

First time on MSC - Fantastica cabin, traveling sort of solo but with another friend in another cabin

I really prefer to do things last minute....  will they offer restaurant deals/specials or excursion deals on board or is it really necessary to pre-purchase?

Any other tips would be appreciated ?

11 hours ago, jmsnyc said:

will they offer restaurant deals/specials

Just a tip on Specialty Restaurant packages. One might want to wait to purchase specialty restaurant packages until one reads the 'limited' menu one is confined to. Also in the Daily Planner on our cruise in June 2023:

Monday All you can eat sushi for 45 minutes, $39 + 18% service

charge

Tuesday Ocean Cay Seafood Restaurant Only a la carte diners

Catch of the day (same for the week) one pound whole

sea bass $39 a second one free. Bottle wine-20%.

Kaito Teppanyaki 20% off set times 5:45 pm or 9:45 pm

Wednesday Ocean Cay same as Tuesday and Kaito Teppanyaki

20% off

Thursday All you can eat sushi for 45 minutes $39. Sea Day

Lunch Spectacular AllSpecialty Restaurants 20% off

and kids eat free +18% sc

Friday Ocean Cay same as Tues. and Wed.. Lunch in specialty

restaurants 30% off entire menu

Saturday Ocean Cay Restaurant and Kaito Teppanyaki same as

Tuesday. All SpecialtyRestaurants Sunset Dinner for 2

$99 including bottle of wine +18%sc

• Like 1

Excursions will be cheaper to book prior to boarding. There will be independent vendors at most ports, other than Ocean Cay, that usually offer cheaper options. 

Restaurant specials seem to be based on how full the ship is. On 7 MSC cruises in the last two years, I have seen similar offers listed by morpheusoftheseas, but also have seen no special offers on dining other than the packages listed online. The two restaurant package that includes Butcher’s Cut & Teppanyaki is a decent value compared to the individual prices purchased separately. 

Even though the dining packages have a limited menu, I found it to be more than enough food with with options I like. Hola Tacos is also very good and reasonably priced (for a Specialty restaurant). 

2 hours ago, JT1962 said:

I have seen similar offers listed by morpheusoftheseas, but also have seen no special offers on dining other than the packages listed online

We really never avail ourselves of the Specialty Dining as we take all our meals in the Yacht Club Restaurant, except on Ocean Cay Day we get back to the ship and have a reservation (don't think it is needed as most everyone is off the ship) at Hola Tacos.I posted the specials advertised in the Daily Planner for June 2023 for those NOT purchasing packages ahead of time. Here are the specials Thanksgiving week.

IMG_3336.jpeg

IMG_3337.jpeg

IMG_3338.jpeg

IMG_3339.jpeg

IMG_3340.jpeg

IMG_3341.jpeg

IMG_3342.jpeg

IMG_3343.jpeg

7 hours ago, jmsnyc said:

Trivial question but is the shampoo/conditioner/bodywash in cabins (not YC) decent whereas I dont need to bring?

This is a cautionary tale. The low pricing structure of MSC has attracted a "wider audience" that gets their 'kicks' by adulterating these products in the cabin for the next guest. So bring your own.

P.S. As for charging for restaurant packages , I have no experience, taking all but one meal in the YC Restaurant (and that one was a Diamond complimentary at Hola Tacos which they automatically gave us the all-you-can-eat-special). I tipped $10 for the free meal.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
P.S.

On 12/11/2023 at 4:26 AM, jmsnyc said:

I really prefer to do things last minute....  will they offer restaurant deals/specials or excursion deals on board or is it really necessary to pre-purchase?

There are very few excursions that sell out fast. But of cause these are the most popular, so for example if you want to go on the Aix/Avignon tour from Marseille, you better book before. I would assume that in the Caribbean these excursions are very limited, only thing I remember is that on Grand Cayman there was popular stuff that was sold out. 

16 hours ago, jmsnyc said:

@morpheusofthesea

So there is a 2 meal package for $99 per person to buy in advance for Butcher Block and Teppanaki .  I am in a solo cabin and so is my friend separately, so we each buy separate or will they auto charge for two?  But it looks similar to deal that you posted on board ?

You only have to purchase for just you. And, the tasting menus are online to view in advance of the cruise so you can decide. 

• Thanks 1

No deals on board.  Not sure how much cheaper package was online because checked right before cruise and seemed about same but it might have been too late.

The regular food i in the complimentary restaurants is downright awful.    This is the worst cruise food I've ever had.  The meals are barely edible.   If you want to try something else $5 surcharge.  This is new.  And never charged for this on other cruises.  Granted post cruise I was on 7 years ago but the food was a zillions time better.  I don't think I will cruise msc again

Also our of stock of things they usually have of value, like smoked salmon

The buffet is overcrowded at all times with rude people cutting.   You'll wait 40 minutes on line and then by the time you get there they are out and the staff don't care.   Sorry, we have to close now.

Gelato at the back of the ship is 7bucks.  This type is stuff was always included on other cruise lines

Edited by jmsnyc

2 hours ago, jmsnyc said:

Also our of stock of things they usually have of value, like smoked salmon

Now 'this' would be real news if this happened in the Yacht Clubs on the cruises more than 5 days. Understand there are many more problems on the 3 or 4 day cruises both in and out of the YC. Always plenty of the good stuff "of value" in the YC. And it should be this way paying YC prices compared to some of the lowest prices in the cruise industry outside the YC.

Gelato at the back of the ship is 7bucks.

Its free, (complimentary) for all lunches and dinners in the MDR. They also have complimentary soft serve for 1 hour in the buffet, but who in their right minds wants to stand in a long line with a bunch of children coughing and sneezing all over the place ? Rather go on the back deck and pay for a cone. No one standing in line to pay.

No deals on board.

Some times you have to search for them like rubber ducks.

Specials Bar Drinks are NOT everyday nor at every bar. Sometimes one has to search the bars.

(Also listed in that elusive Daily Planner. It makes good reading.)

Sunday  Traditional Long Island & Magic Island

All bars

Monday Absolute Cosmo & Fruit Smoothie

Tuesday All cocktails 20% off 10pm-midnight

Marina Pool Bar

Wednesday All Margaritas 20% off 8pm-10pm 

Uptown Lounge

Cocktail of the day Frozen Toberone & 

Virgin Strawberry Daiquiri All Bars

DRINK2.jpeg

DRINK 1.jpeg

27 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Some times you have to search for them like rubber ducks.

Specials Bar Drinks are NOT everyday nor at every bar. Sometimes one has to search the bars.

(Also listed in that elusive Daily Planner. It makes good reading.)

Sunday  Traditional Long Island & Magic Island

All bars

Monday Absolute Cosmo & Fruit Smoothie

Tuesday All cocktails 20% off 10pm-midnight

Marina Pool Bar

Wednesday All Margaritas 20% off 8pm-10pm 

Uptown Lounge

Cocktail of the day Frozen Toberone & 

Virgin Strawberry Daiquiri All Bars

DRINK2.jpeg

DRINK 1.jpeg

Don't care about discounts on drinks as I have the package. Was referring to restaurants.   It's basically like you posted.   39 for sushi 45 min.... 99 for two, butcher and teppanaki, add 10 to get Taco place onto of the 99.  155 if you want Ocean whatever in addition.  Plus 20 percent gratuity

They also have a shellfish special 120 for 2 plus 20 percent but doesn't include app or dessert

Overall I think the food is crap unless you pay extra or perhaps if you are in YC

22 minutes ago, jmsnyc said:

Overall I think the food is crap unless you pay extra or perhaps if you are in YC

Perhaps. I happen to like all ship food, every cruise line, since I eat the same bland diet at home every night. We go Yacht Club only, but  I want to branch out not having the same dishes every cruise; is like I'm home away from home. DW wants to stay with Yacht Club. She loves the Yacht Club, plain no seasoning. 

Yacht Club is likely much better experience but I would not know.  I'm use to the standard dining on cruise line and MSC is by far the crapiest.  But to be fair I haven't been on Carnival or RCL or NCl since before Covid

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Perhaps. I happen to like all ship food, every cruise line, since I eat the same bland diet at home every night. We go Yacht Club only, but  I want to branch out not having the same dishes every cruise; is like I'm home away from home. DW wants to stay with Yacht Club. She loves the Yacht Club, plain no seasoning. 

So what I am hearing is to bring my own tabasco to the YC right? 

I'm use to the standard dining on cruise line and MSC is by far the crapiest.

I found NCL to have the worst MDR, personally, but we've only sailed NCL once so it's hard to say if that's the norm. Luckily, my husband and I were in the Haven and didn't have to eat in the MDR, but we tried to join our friends and family a few times to socialize during dinner (they were in regular balconies) and it was, in my 1990s parlance, pretty gnarly. We eventually learned to grab dinner in the Haven (which had fantastic food) before or after and just have salad with our friends since the Caesar was pretty safe (even if I did miss the whole anchovies the Haven restaurant added). The Local was also a pleasant surprise. The Reuben (with extra dressing) was always lovely.

MSC Splendida wasn't far ahead, but was saved by pasta which was always good to great. We enjoyed the food on MSC Meraviglia, but that was September 2021 and I don't think you can count experiences at 25% capacity. RCCL has always been acceptable, but inconsistent (which is supposedly MSC motto) with MDR food ranging from okay to great across 7ish cruises.

In my experience, you can find something decent on any ship, it just takes some experimentation. NCL was easy mode with the Haven, but The Local would have been more than adequate were we in gen pop. On Splendida we learned that the MDR pasta was always available in the buffet so started skipping the long MDR slog with slow drink service and grabbing pasta at the buffet when we felt like it. Even if the MDR was a fail on RCCL, Sorrento's is alright and if you're on an Oasis class ship, the hot dog place is surprisingly good (smoked sausage on an everything bun -- yummy).

2 hours ago, bundtkate said:

I found NCL to have the worst MDR, personally, but we've only sailed NCL once so it's hard to say if that's the norm. Luckily, my husband and I were in the Haven and didn't have to eat in the MDR, but we tried to join our friends and family a few times to socialize during dinner (they were in regular balconies) and it was, in my 1990s parlance, pretty gnarly. We eventually learned to grab dinner in the Haven (which had fantastic food) before or after and just have salad with our friends since the Caesar was pretty safe (even if I did miss the whole anchovies the Haven restaurant added). The Local was also a pleasant surprise. The Reuben (with extra dressing) was always lovely.

MSC Splendida wasn't far ahead, but was saved by pasta which was always good to great. We enjoyed the food on MSC Meraviglia, but that was September 2021 and I don't think you can count experiences at 25% capacity. RCCL has always been acceptable, but inconsistent (which is supposedly MSC motto) with MDR food ranging from okay to great across 7ish cruises.

In my experience, you can find something decent on any ship, it just takes some experimentation. NCL was easy mode with the Haven, but The Local would have been more than adequate were we in gen pop. On Splendida we learned that the MDR pasta was always available in the buffet so started skipping the long MDR slog with slow drink service and grabbing pasta at the buffet when we felt like it. Even if the MDR was a fail on RCCL, Sorrento's is alright and if you're on an Oasis class ship, the hot dog place is surprisingly good (smoked sausage on an everything bun -- yummy).

I'm not much of a pasta eater. Pasta is the cheapest thing a cruise can provide.    Not one thing I have tried in the mdr on the seascape had been good.  Nothing enjoyable.   Everyone seems super buget. The apps are cold, and uninspring, the meat is tough and low quality, the fish over cooked, desserts also uninspring. Drink service especially slow.   No shrimp or lobster bisques, instead you get gumbo crap