Returning to NCL - questions

L1211

My family loves sailing NCL, but our last NCL cruise was early 2020 just before the shutdown.  I know lots has changed since then.  Since reopening, we’ve sailed MSC (yacht club) and Carnival (wont do that again- a couple of fights in our hall during a mother/daughter cruise- mortified!).  I have a few questions for the more recent NCL sailors as I finalize… thanks in advance, I find this forum so incredibly helpful!

We are cruising in March and will depart from a FL port for weather and proximity- don’t have time to fly to Europe.  It’s college spring break- early March, but I know it will be crowded! 

Will be taking DD and a friend- young adults. 

Have visited literally all the ports reached out of FL sailings- more interested in the on-ship experience! 

questions-

- Joy, Encore or Prima and why???  Have cruised Escape several times and love it but have not sailed any of these ships.

- huge fan of The Vibe- do you still race to guest services to try to buy passes?  Hard to secure these days?  I believe the price is way more than pre-2020 but of course, so is everything else…

- speciality dining- I understand it is one meal now with the Free at Sea- how’s the main dining room these days?  We’ve alway done speciality for the full cruise.  Are reservations still available on day one?  I’m booking late…

- premium plus drink package- I upgraded my drink pkg on our last NCL cruise, but was really disappointed.  I’m a wine drinker and like high end wines.  We did not find the premium plus offering in the bars (wine or spirits). they were all “pouring down” of you had the premium plus pkg.  seemed like a waste. Any recent experience? 
- lines and venues- I’m hearing long waits for shows and clubs.  Your experience, recommendations?

- do they still have deck parties, weather permitting?  My girls love these. 
- I’m a stock holder - bought 100 shares of each of the main lines during the Covid crash.  Still offer a perk?  I’ll have two cabins- both eligible?? Process or advice?? 

that’s all for now!  Thanks in advance. 

Brave soul cruising out of FL during Spring Break😂

I wouldn’t recommend the Prima.  The pool area is too small and congested…especially for SB.

Vibe passes are now purchased online…I believe as soon as you book. Don’t wait, they sell out fast, and may already be gone for your cruise dates.

Premium Plus for wine drinkers is not the greatest and is not any better than your last experience.

make theater reservations in advance at 120 days for whatever shows you can.  They also do comedy in the theater for those not wanting to go to the smaller venues.  

MDR dining is good, plus you have The Local/ O’Sheehans and buffet. Specialty reservations can be made at 120 days.

SH OBC is for one cabin and is typically split $50 each for Guest 1 and 2.  https://www.nclhltd.com/investors/shareholder-benefits

Any ship will be more crowded and longer lines due to SB…but since you’re aware, you will be fine.

have a great time!

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 2

Also, there are both specialty dining and theater reservations that can be made right when you board…first thing.  Once you know which ship, come back to CC and inquire where on the ship upon embarkation do you make these.  They are typically two venues close to each other.

4 hours ago, L1211 said:

My family loves sailing NCL, but our last NCL cruise was early 2020 just before the shutdown.  I know lots has changed since then.  Since reopening, we’ve sailed MSC (yacht club) and Carnival (wont do that again- a couple of fights in our hall during a mother/daughter cruise- mortified!).  I have a few questions for the more recent NCL sailors as I finalize… thanks in advance, I find this forum so incredibly helpful!

We are cruising in March and will depart from a FL port for weather and proximity- don’t have time to fly to Europe.  It’s college spring break- early March, but I know it will be crowded! 

Will be taking DD and a friend- young adults. 

Have visited literally all the ports reached out of FL sailings- more interested in the on-ship experience! 

questions-

- Joy, Encore or Prima and why???  Have cruised Escape several times and love it but have not sailed any of these ships.

- premium plus drink package- I upgraded my drink pkg on our last NCL cruise, but was really disappointed.  I’m a wine drinker and like high end wines.  We did not find the premium plus offering in the bars (wine or spirits). they were all “pouring down” of you had the premium plus pkg.  seemed like a waste. Any recent experience? 
- I’m a stock holder - bought 100 shares of each of the main lines during the Covid crash.  Still offer a perk?  I’ll have two cabins- both eligible?? Process or advice?? 

that’s all for now!  Thanks in advance. 

Prima is sailing out of Galveston in March 2024.

Joy or Encore. Doubt it matters much.

If you truly want high end wines, you should consider taking some aboard.  Total wine delivers and if you have the basic drink package there is no corkage fee.  You can bring  your wine aboard for no cost.

On a seven day cruise, you get two specialty dinners per person.  You can buy more.  I've always cruised Haven so can't comment on MDR.  

Yes, you still get $100 stock holder but it is one per holder not one per cabin.

• Like 1

I just got the shareholder benefit for my March sailing on the Joy.  The process took less than one business day.

From the very bottom of the NCL website there is a link "For Investors" under the Our Company Tab.

Click on that and look for "Shareholder Benefits".

There is a form to complete and instructions on how to prove your ownership.  You simply e-mail those to the listed e-mail address.  

Easy Peasy.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, KyleDefends said:

I just got the shareholder benefit for my March sailing on the Joy.  The process took less than one business day.

From the very bottom of the NCL website there is a link "For Investors" under the Our Company Tab.

Click on that and look for "Shareholder Benefits".

There is a form to complete and instructions on how to prove your ownership.  You simply e-mail those to the listed e-mail address.  

Easy Peasy.

Thank you so much- would have never found it!!!  Appreciate the tip. 

1 hour ago, laudergayle said:

For balcony and above. OV and inside get only one specialty dinner.

Definitely looking at balcony cabins so that’s great news!  We love NCL specially dining- will likely add three more at least to hit all the favorites!!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Prima is sailing out of Galveston in March 2024.

Joy or Encore. Doubt it matters much.

If you truly want high end wines, you should consider taking some aboard.  Total wine delivers and if you have the basic drink package there is no corkage fee.  You can bring  your wine aboard for no cost.

On a seven day cruise, you get two specialty dinners per person.  You can buy more.  I've always cruised Haven so can't comment on MDR.  

Yes, you still get $100 stock holder but it is one per holder not one per cabin.

That’s an interesting idea on the wine. Is there a limit per cabin/person line carnival? 

21 minutes ago, L1211 said:

That’s an interesting idea on the wine. Is there a limit per cabin/person line carnival? 

NCL has no limits on the quantity you may bring aboard.  Note: unless  you have one of the alcohol beverage package, NCL charges $15/bottle.  But if you have an alcohol beverage package, there is no fee.

Even with the plus package, you can save a bunch on wines if you want true high end wines.   Most cruise lines simply don't cater to the high end wine drinker.  

A beverage manager told me that the average wine drinker is only interested in price.  If they're having fish, they order the cheapest white. If beef, they order the cheapest red.  The cruise lines know that if they stock wines above a certain price point, these wines will go bad before they're sold.  BTW, wines do go bad quickly at sea.

NCL has decided that allowing people to bring wines aboard saves them money.  They're drinking their wines, not NCLs wines, which they've paid for through their beverage package.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, L1211 said:

One other thing, if you have an alcohol beverage package, you can order wines by the bottle.   The Free At Sea package offers a 20% discount on wine.  The premium plus package has a 40% discount.  Some wines are included in the Free at Sea package by the glass.  Better wines are included in the premium plus by the glass.  I found the wines in the premium plus package to be about what you would find for around $20 per bottle in my local stores.  

One of the problems with the included wines is the fact that availability varies by ship and cruise date.  You won't know what is available until you board.  You cannot rely upon wine lists you may see on the internet, even those on the NCL website.  The only way to guarantee availability is to bring  your own aboard.

• Like 3

questions-

the Encore and Joy are closest to the escape. 

- huge fan of The Vibe- do you still race to guest services to try to buy passes?  Hard to secure these days?  I believe the price is way more than pre-2020 but of course, so is everything else…

the vibe is available for pre sail and my already be sold out. 

- speciality dining- I understand it is one meal now with the Free at Sea- how’s the main dining room these days?  We’ve alway done speciality for the full cruise.  Are reservations still available on day one?  I’m booking late…

the number of free dinners depends on your cabin class. There are reservations held for embarkation day, but if you want a high demand restaurants on popular days (sea days 5:30-8:00). 

same

- lines and venues- I’m hearing long waits for shows and clubs.  Your experience, recommendations?

we show up early for shows. Now and before the pandemic. We have not noted any change to that. 

yes 

perk is available. You can term for both rooms, but I think it is awarded to the room that the shareholder is in. 

17 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

I say, Joy is better than Encore. 

Joy has aft Spice H2O but the Encore doesn’t!

Oh that’s important!!! Don’t plan on buying Vibe for the girls.  Also back up plan for Vibe for us- important during Spring Break! 

14 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

questions-

the Encore and Joy are closest to the escape. 

the vibe is available for pre sail and my already be sold out. 

the number of free dinners depends on your cabin class. There are reservations held for embarkation day, but if you want a high demand restaurants on popular days (sea days 5:30-8:00). 

same

we show up early for shows. Now and before the pandemic. We have not noted any change to that. 

yes 

perk is available. You can term for both rooms, but I think it is awarded to the room that the shareholder is in. 

Thank you Bird! I’m honored to have the OG’s assistance and insight!  The Bliss is now in the mix. I was filtering for Caribbean and was missing the Mexican Rivera cruises in west coast. Flights from KY to LAX are cheaper than flights to MIA in March- sigh…. How do you like the Bliss?  Ever sailed the west coast??  

For those of you kind enough to help me with our return to NCL….

Joy or Bliss and why??  Bliss on west coast is actually a little cheaper during Spring Break in March and we’ve never cruised the Mexican Rivera - all new ports!  Not excited to fly that far, but flights to LAX are cheaper than flights to MIA- crazy…

Also, is Howl at the Moon gone from newer ships?  That was our family favorite!  Any dueling pianos on newer ships?  

Also appears broadway style theatre is leaving NCL ships? What’s new in that area?  We love NCL entertainment as compared to carnival and MCS.

Thanks! 

Edited by L1211

Bliss is good. still has the aft Spice H2O.

I'd rather go on Bliss (also Joy and Escape) than the Encore!

I don't know if you realize that the Family Oceanview cabin (cat O5 on deck 5) is large enough for the 3 of you.

Edited by bluesea777

6 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Bliss is good. still has the aft Spice H2O.

I'd rather go on Bliss (also Joy and Escape) than the Encore!

I don't know if you realize that the Family Oceanview cabin (cat O5 on deck 5) is large enough for the 3 of you.

Thank you Bluesea!  DD is bringing a young adult friend so we’ll need two cabins.  I don’t really know anything about the Encore - is that in the same class as Prima? Clearly I have some catching up to do!  I don’t even know if the new class NCL ships have waterfronts- which is another favorite and reason to sail NCL.  We’ve sailed a couple of the RCCL behemoth of the seas along with MSC Mera- both felt like big malls with no sea views!!  

1 minute ago, L1211 said:

Thank you Bluesea!  DD is bringing a young adult friend so we’ll need two cabins.  I don’t really know anything about the Encore - is that in the same class as Prima? Clearly I have some catching up to do!  I don’t even know if the new class NCL ships have waterfronts- which is another favorite and reason to sail NCL.  We’ve sailed a couple of the RCCL behemoth of the seas along with MSC Mera- both felt like big malls with no sea views!!  

Breakaway & Getaway are Breakaway class ships - sisters. Built in 2013 & 2014.

Escape, Joy, Bliss, Encore are Breakaway Plus class ships. Built in 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019.

All above 6 have waterfronts.

Prima & Viva are new class ships - Prima class. Forget about these two ships, okay.

If there is only 3 of you going, realize this that you'll need to pay double occupancy for the cabin for yourself. Also one of the two girls need to be at least 21 years to be holding the cabin for themselves. That's why I suggested Family Oceanview on deck 5.

• Like 1

We just got off Bliss Mexican Riveria last month.  We’ve cruised the Caribbean so much, it was a nice switch to be in the Pacific.  Spring is perfect whale watching time.  Be forewarned…coming from the southeast, we thought it was a bit chilly at times while others sported shorts.  But, between the ship and the itinerary…I would vote for Bliss.  The flight is a two movie flight but went by quickly.  I also recommend the Crowne Plaza San Pedro for pre-cruise accommodation.  

• Like 3

I was on the Joy in April, Spice H2O was our place. It has a Huge Hot Tub instead of the Water Feature like on other Breakaway and Breakaway+ ships. I haven't been on the Encore yet but have been on the Breakaway and will be sailing on the Escape beginning of January. Not Have Spice H2O would bother me so I would Choose Joy

We love the Joy. It's going for refurb in January 2024 I believe, so will be fresh and shiny. I know Haven is a big stretch for some, but on the Joy they have a ton of different categories, and the HH, HI, HJ rooms are an awesome value for someone wanting to try Haven. Bigger rooms than the courtyard ones and a few thousand dollars cheaper. 

I know you mentioned needing 2 cabins, but do the math for the 2 separate balcony rooms vs the 1 single Haven family room. Compare what you get for the 2 rooms (2 bathrooms, specialty meals for all 3 people rather than just 2) vs the price of just the single shared room.

March 2nd sailing on the Joy - 2x balcony rooms for 4 people = $4500. Price for the single HH Haven family suite = $7000. The HH room is huge, with both a murphy bed from the wall and a couch bed, with a curtain to separate the space from the main bed for some privacy. Plus you'll all be in the Haven which means no need to buy a Vibe pass. 

If you wanted to try and put the 3 of you into the HJ cabin instead, it would only be $5800. Easy for others to advise you how to spend your money, but if it were me, I think the Haven amenities on the newer ships are well worth the $1300 price increase. Especially on a March spring break trip that will be packed. Having the quiet Haven area to hide out in will be well worth that upgrade cost, and the Joy has much better bargains to be found.

image.thumb.png.578381c16a21381d6376b44ecd7c4c2f.png

• Like 1