Age of fellow cruisers has a huge impact on how people enjoy a cruise

Interestedcruisefan

There is quite a long discussion on the Celebrity Cruises forum about whether there should be .no phone zones'. Specifically to stop the loud phone conversations, Facetiming, and watching videos and other content without using headphones. A bit like thinking back to the old days of smoking indoors and the discussions on having no smoking areas. I know P&O want everyone to use  smart phones for their App / webpage, so it may not happen. But sounds a good idea to me. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, laslomas said:

There is quite a long discussion on the Celebrity Cruises forum about whether there should be .no phone zones'. Specifically to stop the loud phone conversations, Facetiming, and watching videos and other content without using headphones. A bit like thinking back to the old days of smoking indoors and the discussions on having no smoking areas. I know P&O want everyone to use  smart phones for their App / webpage, so it may not happen. But sounds a good idea to me. 

In general I'm in favour of no phone zones in as many places as possible. When I'm not working I actually like to turn my phone off and fully relax

I envisage in future there may be some areas on cruise ships specifically designed for remote workers to access

There probably already are tbh

Lots of holiday cottages and apartments advertise dedicated work areas as part of their selling points nowadays

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

8 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

In general I'm in favour of no phone zones in as many places as possible. When I'm not working I actually like to turn my phone off and fully relax

I envisage in future there may be some areas on cruise ships specifically designed for remote workers to access

There probably already are tbh

Lots of holiday cottages and apartments advertise dedicated work areas as part of their selling points nowadays

With the introduction of Starlink on cruise ships and very positive reviews of the performance in cabins, I'd hope that the cruise lines would introduce rules that prevent passengers making long Facetime, Zoom or whatever calls at least in public indoor areas. 

The old excuse of bad connection whilst at sea would appear to be no more - even on QM2 mid Atlantic reports are of fast and efficient connection.  ICF, the relevance of this in particular is because of the actual structure of the ship on top of the obvious one of no nearby land to bounce signals off. That used to mean more or less blackout on those voyages. There would now be no need to not use your cabin so I cannot see any way that valuable public space needs to be handed over on the off chance a few if us need to call or make some business zooms etc.

Normal telephone conversations while at sea are generally restricted by the cost of onboard telephone costs.  If someone wishes to make these calls generally they do so from the open decks whilst in port purely to ensure they are not connected to the onboard phone system.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, laslomas said:

On first reading I thought this sounded like a good idea, but thinking about it I now think it’s a bad idea. Having ‘no phone zones’ implies, by definition, that it is perfectly acceptable to use phones, and all the intrusive activities that come with them, everywhere else, which might encourage even more use of them than at present.

Speaking as someone who would leave a bar or restaurant if I needed to make or receive a call, I find it very irritating when people feel that it is acceptable to have calls or FaceTime conversations in such places, but the only thing that I do enjoy is the scowl that I get from my wife, quickly followed by “Don’t you DARE say anything” 😂 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

On first reading I thought this sounded like a good idea, but thinking about it I now think it’s a bad idea. Having ‘no phone zones’ implies, by definition, that it is perfectly acceptable to use phones, and all the intrusive activities that come with them, everywhere else, which might encourage even more use of them than at present.

Speaking as someone who would leave a bar or restaurant if I needed to make or receive a call, I find it very irritating when people feel that it is acceptable to have calls or FaceTime conversations in such places, but the only thing that I do enjoy is the scowl that I get from my wife, quickly followed by “Don’t you DARE say anything” 😂 

I personally would feel embarrassed if I thought others could hear me having conversations on the phone

Just found a 3 year cruise visiting 175 different countries specifically created for remote workers and digital nomads!!!

30k US dollars per person per year

And you have to book all 3 years

https://www.traveloffpath.com/this-cruise-ship-is-making-it-possible-for-digital-nomads-to-live-at-sea-but-whats-the-catch/

12 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I personally would feel embarrassed if I thought others could hear me having conversations on the phone

So would I, but some people like to ‘broadcast’. The other thing that gets my goat is when people are on a phone call with the loudspeaker on. NO. Put the ruddy thing to your ear and speak quietly 😂 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Just found a 3 year cruise visiting 175 different countries specifically created for remote workers and digital nomads!!!

30k US dollars per person per year

And you have to book all 3 years

https://www.traveloffpath.com/this-cruise-ship-is-making-it-possible-for-digital-nomads-to-live-at-sea-but-whats-the-catch/

The 3 year ‘proper’ World cruise that got so many headlines was recently cancelled at short notice. Slight problem. They didn’t have a ship. They were buying an Aida cruise ship and refurbishing it, but some of the people backing it withdrew support and the sale fell through. Some people had sold their house with a view to putting their possessions in storage and buying again afterwards. People are now trying to get their money back. The cruise is now on sale again departing the end of next year. I can’t imagine that will go either. Who would risk throwing more money at an organisation that has a track record like that?

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Selbourne said:

The 3 year ‘proper’ World cruise that got so many headlines was recently cancelled at short notice. Slight problem. They didn’t have a ship. They were buying an Aida cruise ship and refurbishing it, but some of the people backing it withdrew support and the sale fell through. Some people had sold their house with a view to putting their possessions in storage and buying again afterwards. People are now trying to get their money back. The cruise is now on sale again departing the end of next year. I can’t imagine that will go either. Who would risk throwing more money at an organisation that has a track record like that?

Is that the same  cruise I highlighted selbourne or a different one

2 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

The one that you highlighted. The article was dated 5th March 2023 referring to the 3 year World Cruise departing Istanbul on 1st November 2023. It was cancelled for the reasons I mentioned. They are trying again for a departure next year but still don’t have the ship!

https://www.lifeatseacruises.com

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Here’s one of many news articles about it. Another refers to someone who had sold their house to go on it. They are saying that they have ‘postponed’ it for 12 months, but I can’t see it being viable. The tiny number of people for whom a 3 year cruise is viable will have booked the first one and are now chasing refunds, so are unlikely to throw more money at this company, especially as other companies are now looking at this concept. 

It’s a shame, because the itinerary (which you can read in the article) was superb. Unlike what we call a ‘World Cruise’, which is mostly sea days and very much highlights rather than a comprehensive World tour, the intention was to go pretty much everywhere that you can get to on a small cruise ships. Port stays ranged from 1 day in tiny places to 5 days in major locations, from where you could do multi-day excursions to really see a country. However, what a commitment. We are concerned enough about whether 65 days may be far too long for us to spend on a cruise ship, let alone 3 years 😂 

https://www.npr.org/2023/11/29/1215569569/life-at-sea-3-year-cruise-around-the-world-called-off#:~:text=This 3-year cruise around,leaving passengers in the lurch&text=via Getty Images-,When the Life at Sea cruise line failed to purchase,in November began to unravel.&text=They were promised the world.

36 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

The one that you highlighted. The article was dated 5th March 2023 referring to the 3 year World Cruise departing Istanbul on 1st November 2023. It was cancelled for the reasons I mentioned. They are trying again for a departure next year but still don’t have the ship!

https://www.lifeatseacruises.com

Maybe they could lease one from a little known Maltese Cargo ship company!!! 😀

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Here’s one of many news articles about it. Another refers to someone who had sold their house to go on it. They are saying that they have ‘postponed’ it for 12 months, but I can’t see it being viable. The tiny number of people for whom a 3 year cruise is viable will have booked the first one and are now chasing refunds, so are unlikely to throw more money at this company, especially as other companies are now looking at this concept. 

It’s a shame, because the itinerary (which you can read in the article) was superb. Unlike what we call a ‘World Cruise’, which is mostly sea days and very much highlights rather than a comprehensive World tour, the intention was to go pretty much everywhere that you can get to on a small cruise ships. Port stays ranged from 1 day in tiny places to 5 days in major locations, from where you could do multi-day excursions to really see a country. However, what a commitment. We are concerned enough about whether 65 days may be far too long for us to spend on a cruise ship, let alone 3 years 😂 

https://www.npr.org/2023/11/29/1215569569/life-at-sea-3-year-cruise-around-the-world-called-off#:~:text=This 3-year cruise around,leaving passengers in the lurch&text=via Getty Images-,When the Life at Sea cruise line failed to purchase,in November began to unravel.&text=They were promised the world.

I agree 

How many people can take themselves away from family for 3 years?

Whatever their age?

It's not like moving abroad for 3 years. Where family could visit you. 

Was trying to picture a time of our lives when we could have done or do this

And couldn't think of one

13 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I agree 

Whatever their age?

Family can visit. Anyone can stay in your booked cabin with you. They also have ‘visitor cabins’ where family of guests can stay for a period of time. I still couldn’t do it though. I could however see it working for a solo or couple who have no children and whose parents are dead. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I agree 

Whatever their age?

I get the eye roll from my adult children with anything over 14 nights😂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Some folk seem to enjoy having loud phone calls. Look how important I am. The bloke sat next to me  in the hospital, some type of builder, took great delight in telling everybody in Surrey. Yeah just spent 2.1mill for the plot in Bournmouth. Agent told me it don't really flood, so I won't bovver wiv a survey. I'll bunk im a good drink. Everybody was so impressed that a high flying property developer was actually using the NHS. Just imagine that for 2 weeks on a cruise. Do your work from home stuff in your cabin and don't inflict it on folk trying to have a relaxing holiday. Nobody is impressed.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Some folk seem to enjoy having loud phone calls. Look how important I am. The bloke sat next to me on in the hospital, some type of builder, took great delight in telling everybody in Surrey. Yeah just spent 2.1mill for the plot in Bournmouth. Agent told me it don't really flood, so I won't bovver wiv a survey. I'll bunk im a good drink. Everybody was so impressed that a high flying property developer was actually using the NHS. Just imagine that for 2 weeks on a cruise. Do your work from home stuff in your cabin and don't inflict it on folk trying to have a relaxing holiday. Nobody is impressed.

Funny you should say that Zap. We did get exactly that on one cruise, sharing a table with 4 extremely loud and boasty East London property ‘speculators’. Very flash, very loud, very London, very boastful, very loaded. It was an interesting meal, all very polite. We left immediately after the dessert course, with excuses about meeting some friends.

”I bet you’re going to tell your friends all about us.”

How right they were! I don’t recall ever meeting anyone drinking soup straight from the bowls before. Or since. 😶

• Haha 7

17 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

We did get exactly that on one cruise, sharing a table with 4 extremely loud and boasty East London property ‘speculators’. Very flash, very loud, very London, very boastful, very loaded.

We once had the misfortune to have a table of four very close to our table for two. 

They were two guys impressing two ladies with what high flyers they were and were very loud with it as well. 

Most morning (We will call him Bill ) would tell his mate how his companies were doing , raking it in ,may have to get others in to oversee his contracts ..Blah blah ,blah .

This went on most mornings until the last day and they bid their goodbyes ,

Once the ladies had gone ,his mate said "Soon back to the real world once back home .What are you doing regards work once back home "  To which Bill said " Dunno no job interviews for over a month now, I'll take anything ,need the coin ."

Just wish people could learn how to talk and not yell at each other .

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, kalos said:

We once had the misfortune to have a table of four very close to our table for two. 

They were two guys impressing two ladies with what high flyers they were and were very loud with it as well. 

Most morning (We will call him Bill ) would tell his mate how his companies were doing , raking it in ,may have to get others in to oversee his contracts ..Blah blah ,blah .

This went on most mornings until the last day and they bid their goodbyes ,

Once the ladies had gone ,his mate said "Soon back to the real world once back home .What are you doing regards work once back home "  To which Bill said " Dunno no job interviews for over a month now, I'll take anything ,need the coin ."

Just wish people could learn how to talk and not yell at each other .

I worked for a very large company from over here, that was doing quite well over there. I heard a story that on a trip on concorde a young turk was telling the elderly gent how his company had sent him to New York to look over a target. He was on the up, a rising star, near the top of the ladder. The stewardess came up and said to the old gent " would you like another drink Lord Hanson ?."

• Haha 4

I always enjoy chatting to people from all walks of life on cruise ships. It’s all part of the enjoyment for me and we’ve met countless interesting people that we got on really well with, some of whom we’ve kept in contact with.

I can talk about anything and everything with anyone, but have never enjoyed talking about work. When I was working I was on a cruise to get away from the pressures of work, so avoided discussing it like the plague or I felt that I was back there. Even now, having been retired for some years, it’s not a topic that I would ever start a conversation about. 

However, we were on a cruise once where we sat on a table of four with a couple that were some years older than us and the wife was intent on constantly bragging about the very senior job that her husband had before he retired. He would barely look at us. She had a level of pomposity that implied that he was a God like creature and the rest of us lesser mortals should just be in awe of his achievements. I just smiled and looked suitably impressed to please her, but I could tell that she wanted me to tell her all about my background, but I’m a master at changing the subject. 

A few days later we ended up stuck with them again (one risk with Freedom dining if you dine around the same time) and she started again. I continued to smile but this time she asked me very directly what my background was and even with my ability to ‘swerve’ this time it was unavoidable. I didn’t brag but just factually gave a brief outline. Within 30 seconds it became apparent to her that I had done a more senior job and in a much larger company than her husband. Her face was a picture and her tone completely changed, as did his. For the rest of the cruise they seemed to want to seek us out and call out to us by name and wave if we ever saw them. However, the damage was done 😂 

• Haha 3

There was a beautiful put down from a fellow diner on Azura a few years ago.  It was a big table, and the guy immediately to the right of me had been bragging about this that and the other to the whole table.

The lady two to my left was looking increasingly bored with all this, but she said nothing, apart from a quite word with my wife.

Just before the end of the meal, though, the conversation had turned to the journeys home we all had.  He asked her how far she had to travel. Very quick response:

"We live in Surrey but it doesn't matter because my son's arranged for the chauffeur to collect me."

Deflated gentleman to my right.  But then a whisper to my wife:

"It's a Mondeo, and he's got my grandson to collect me."

• Haha 9

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

Some folk seem to enjoy having loud phone calls. Look how important I am. The bloke sat next to me  in the hospital, some type of builder, took great delight in telling everybody in Surrey. Yeah just spent 2.1mill for the plot in Bournmouth. Agent told me it don't really flood, so I won't bovver wiv a survey. I'll bunk im a good drink. Everybody was so impressed that a high flying property developer was actually using the NHS. Just imagine that for 2 weeks on a cruise. Do your work from home stuff in your cabin and don't inflict it on folk trying to have a relaxing holiday. Nobody is impressed.

I hope it floods!!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

I hope it floods!!!

There's a great clip on youtube where a guy is interviewing Eminem (the multi multi millionaire rapper from USA)

The interviewer just knows hes a rapper but has no idea he's the biggest rapper in the world at the time. 

He says something like 'you are a white guy trying to make a living as a rapper. It must be very difficult for you at times!"

Eminem just looks at him a bit unsure what to say they utters a classic line

"It pays the bills"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

A tad ambitious maybe?

Certainly a pipe dream cruise and plenty of bragging rights, but when people come back to earth how many can afford the cost and time, just imagine the tips alone, but then if you are committing to a trip that will costs many hundreds of thousands of dollars in total what are tips. I am surprised the plug was not pulled earlier due to lack of takers.

The the organisation must have been a nightmare, one just can't rock up to the Galapagos or Antarctica etc in any old ship. it would not be straightforward I imagine just rebooking the ports for a years time.   

Time will tell if such a venture will raise its head again

• Like 2