Is tipping mandatory

glentally

30 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I don’t compare a floating resort i.e., cruise ship, to a restaurant, either Mom & Pop or chain. I relate my experience to that of an AI. The restaurant analogy has been completely blown out of the water.

To answer your last question, I don’t give one Iota how auto grats are distributed, hence why I tip cash directly. 

I was comparing two places that (at least in the US) it's expected to tip.  And MANY people pay a restaurant charge on their credit card AND include the tip on the credit slip.  So I was asking if you did the same.  IMO, adding a tip on the credit receipt in a restaurant is similar to paying auto tips.  You have no idea where that money is going.  You don't know if it's all going to the server or being put into a "pool".  

So I was curious if you do the same everywhere you go (and tip) or if act differently on a cruise. 

46 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I was comparing two places that (at least in the US) it's expected to tip.  And MANY people pay a restaurant charge on their credit card AND include the tip on the credit slip.  So I was asking if you did the same.  IMO, adding a tip on the credit receipt in a restaurant is similar to paying auto tips.  You have no idea where that money is going.  You don't know if it's all going to the server or being put into a "pool".  

So I was curious if you do the same everywhere you go (and tip) or if act differently on a cruise. 

If you've read my previous posts, I've outlined exactly how I tip on my sailings. Going into detail on how I tip outside of cruising has no place on a cruising forum. Give it a rest.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I just think it's strange to complain that you "want to know where the tips go" when on a cruise, but not elsewhere.  

The ironic part is they think they know where cash tips go.  In reality, they don't know what happens to that cash tip when it leaves their hand.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2023 at 2:31 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

You are screwing over crew members who depend on tips, but who work behind the scenes and never interact with passengers. However, under the current system you aren’t doing anything wrong, unless it bothers you that you are taking advantage of hard working crew members. 

Somehow P&O manages to run a ship with no tips at all. Service isn’t much different. Sometimes better sometimes worse. 

the only people taking advantage of crew members is the mega corporations who have conned the public into thinking that it’s your responsibility to pay their staffs wages whilst they collect their million dollar bonuses each year. 

who ever come up with the idea to guilt trip its customers in to paying their staffs wages was a corporate genius. 

• Thanks 3