Cancelled Cruises The Journey Nov 2024

Lynda S

We woke up to the dreaded 'sorry we have to cancel' letter on Friday for our 2 B2B Cruises on the Journey in Nov 2024.  We were boarding on Nov 9th for a Spain Intensive and then staying on for the transatlantic on Nov 20th crossing to Miami.  I was so looking forward to it!

The letter basically stated the 'domino effect' of the cancelled Israel Intensive cruises for 2024.  Due to this they said they wanted to deploy the Journey to North America earlier than November.  They are not sure when or where she is going yet.  I'm thinking it may be earlier Iceland-Greenland-Montreal cruises than the ones first scheduled for July 2025.   They won't know until later in January though and we only have until Jan 4th to let them know what we want to do (transfer to certain cruises, transfer to any cruise, full refund) so I guess we had better choose 2 new cruises.

We re leaning towards The Quest Spain Intensive to Gran Canaria and then staying on to Capetown. Much more expensive of course in both the cruise and the return airfare, but they say you only live once. 😀  We were in Capetown on a cruise 20 years ago, I guess it's time we went back!

• Like 3

We did book onto the Spain Intensive and then also Gran Canaria to Capetown.  

Oddly though we seem to be the only people on the ship 😀 - usually these repositioning cruises attract a large amount of CC'ers on the Roll Call, but there wasn't one started when I looked the other day.  I started one for both cruises, but still no responses. 

I hope someone else at least is going!   

• Like 2

On 12/17/2023 at 6:59 PM, Lynda S said:

We woke up to the dreaded 'sorry we have to cancel' letter on Friday for our 2 B2B Cruises on the Journey in Nov 2024.  We were boarding on Nov 9th for a Spain Intensive and then staying on for the transatlantic on Nov 20th crossing to Miami.  I was so looking forward to it!

The letter basically stated the 'domino effect' of the cancelled Israel Intensive cruises for 2024.  Due to this they said they wanted to deploy the Journey to North America earlier than November.  They are not sure when or where she is going yet.  I'm thinking it may be earlier Iceland-Greenland-Montreal cruises than the ones first scheduled for July 2025.   They won't know until later in January though and we only have until Jan 4th to let them know what we want to do (transfer to certain cruises, transfer to any cruise, full refund) so I guess we had better choose 2 new cruises.

We re leaning towards The Quest Spain Intensive to Gran Canaria and then staying on to Capetown. Much more expensive of course in both the cruise and the return airfare, but they say you only live once. 😀  We were in Capetown on a cruise 20 years ago, I guess it's time we went back!

Interesting, because we're booked on the Journey in May to do the Singapore to Athens through the Suez Canal, and Azamara isn't giving us any kind of information about whether or not the cruise will be cancelled. When they gave you alternate options, were the ones to transfer to another cruise at the same price point you paid on your original cruise or is it at whatever the current price is? And with regards to the "full refund," are you still ahead of your final payment date? Unfortunately ours is on January 4, 2024!

Edited by atomax

25 minutes ago, atomax said:

Interesting, because we're booked on the Journey in May to do the Singapore to Athens through the Suez Canal, and Azamara isn't giving us any kind of information about whether or not the cruise will be cancelled. When they gave you alternate options, were the ones to transfer to another cruise at the same price point you paid on your original cruise or is it at whatever the current price is? And with regards to the "full refund," are you still ahead of your final payment date? Unfortunately ours is on January 4, 2024!

Yes, they offered us three choices -

1. switch to  a different, but a specific cruise for $1000.00 OBC (we were in a suite, balcony or lower category was $500 OBC) at either our original price pro-rated to the new # of days, or if that cruise was priced lower, then the lower price.

2. switch to any other cruise at the going rate for whichever cruise we chose for $500.00 OBC (or $250  for balcony or lower category)

3. refund in full which would also include a refund (to a maximum ceiling) of flights, hotels & transfers

These were very generous offers.  We were not under final payment yet as it was a Nov 2024 cruise and we had not done our air yet, we were doing that in Jan.

I think you should phone - somewhere I thought I read that the next Dubai to Athens cruise in the spring on the Journey was cancelled.  Burt I have read so much today on both here and on Facebook I can't find it now.  

• Like 3

Thanks for documenting your experience. Calling Azamara is useless because we booked as a group through a travel agent, and they have been giving her the runaround (to the point that over half of our group has cancelled due to the lack of communication and terrible customer service from the home office).

I looked online for the article you referenced, but I didn't see anything, so if you come across it again, would you mind posting it here? We did notice that all the cruises after ours until December 3, 2024 are now unbookable/unavailable, so I'm wondering if Azamara will drop the bad news after December 25... 😞 

We are also on Journey in May, Singapore to Athens, but have just checked on line and  cruises on Journey in Med following our cruise are still showing with prices. I also don’t think there was ever a Dubai to Athens cruise on Journey in the Spring. (it’s in Australia / Far East). 

The World Cruise on Onward  is doing a similar itinerary in Middle East two weeks ahead of the dates we are due there, so perhaps that is one to keep an eye on.

12 hours ago, atomax said:

We did notice that all the cruises after ours until December 3, 2024 are now unbookable/unavailable, so I'm wondering if Azamara will drop the bad news after December 25... 😞 

the Journey cruises that are online and not bookable are from September 21st to 3rd December. Cruises prior to September 21st (which was an Israel cruise) are all still bookable

11 hours ago, scotsahoy said:

We are also on Journey in May, Singapore to Athens, but have just checked on line and  cruises on Journey in Med following our cruise are still showing with prices. I also don’t think there was ever a Dubai to Athens cruise on Journey in the Spring. (it’s in Australia / Far East). 

The World Cruise on Onward  is doing a similar itinerary in Middle East two weeks ahead of the dates we are due there, so perhaps that is one to keep an eye on.

The Journey was in the med this summer so must have done Dubai to Athens at some point earlier in the year.

11 hours ago, scotsahoy said:

Sorry I read so much the other day about cancelled cruises that it all became a blur - i think it was the Oct 2024 Journey ancient Civilizations Cruise through the Suez that I read (on the roll calls) was cancelled. 

4 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

The Journey was in the med this summer so must have done Dubai to Athens at some point earlier in the year.

THe Journey got to the Med for the summer via Cape Town in March after having spent three months around South Africa.

• 2 months later...

Just wondered has anyone who cancelled the leg of the cruise departing from Singapore to Athens has been compensated for they’re flights.