Random thoughts ....after 26 (out of 28) days on island princess

tml1230

Usually I wait to post any review until we get back home from a cruise.  However with  Christmas a few days away, and being away from our 3  incredible young granddaughters for 6 weeks ....my time after disembarkation Thursday will be otherwise occupied for the near future.

I am writing this a few hundred miles east of  the Bahamas, headed west to Port Everglades. This cruise visited  Greece,Spain ,Portugal ,Italy and 5 (so far) perfect days crossing the Atlantic.

The island P is in fine shape. We love the old school classic look and feel....Yea, like me, showing her age a little but spotlessly maintained (unlike  me!) The covered pool area is great and comfortable to recline and watch the ocean go by. Being a Florida guy, the pool water temps a little too brisk for me. Im guessing 78 degrees F. 

I haven't seen any signs  or indicators of covid issues.  Maybe 1 or 2 % masking up. Usual coughers and phlegm generators.

Even halfway across the ocean the internet has been reliable, not always fast but streamable (is that a word?)

The medallion app has been flawless. Computer wise, No-one will ever confuse me for Bill Gates but the entire system was easy to use.

If you're doing reserve class dining.... y'all are going to love it!   Absolute perfection.....A word of caution here.....Please be prepared for the occasional scowl, or stink eye  look from the line of  passengers waiting to be seated in regular dining room!

The crew? ....as always, outstanding! Perhaps the best ever after more than 35 cruises.

My two less than enjoyable experiences? Neither  of which Princess has any control over.

1) the all to frequent wafting of lingering perfume in the elevators. We have had 3 English bulldogs during our 42 year marriage.So we now how to adapt to STRONG and not so pleasant  aromas . This was worse!!

2) fellow Passengers with no volume control on their voice box. 12  dinner tables away, or  in Crooners , we were blessed  to hear about their fun day at sea.

all in all a top 3 of all time cruise!  we hope you and family have a safe and memorable holiday season!

/  /loud passengers/perfume/ 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 11

Thank you for taking the time to give us your impressions of the ship.  We have not been on the Island in a very long time. 

Today, we are booking the 56 day, roundtrip LA, March of 2026 voyage on the Island.  Great itinerary for us west coast cruisers! 

And, I know what you mean about the RC dining room stare downs!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the nice review.  We spent 12 days on the Island in Sept/Oct and our experience mirrored yours.  We found the ship to be in generally good shape and had a great time. 

I would also echo your comments about voice levels in the public areas.  During our dinner in the Crown Grill one evening we heard a grown man speaking like Donald Duck throughout the entire meal.  

Happy holidays and safe travels home. 

14 minutes ago, rhblake said:

Thank you for your quick review. We will be on her next December when she does her transatlantic. We are currently in a mini suite but not the reserve. Is an additional $1000 for the reserve worth it?

in my opinion.... particularly on a transatlantic,  with all those sea days, its absolutely worth it. On the sea days the restaurants  at lunch and dinner at peak times always have a line of folks waiting.for a table.

In  reserve class you have an immediate sitting in a separate area. we like to sit by ourselves. the tables aren't  one inch apart like they are in regular venues. The waiters are incredible and dont appear rushed as they often do in the restaurants on board. The table cloths and other linen is nice, but as a guy, I didn't really notice that until my wife mentioned that amenity. Although the menu is basically the same, the level of service is way beyond amazing.

Having said all that if..... you are on a real port intensive cruise and plan on doing a lot of buffet meals it may not be worth the cost. we have been on the island p for 27 days and probably hit the buffet 6 total times. It was excellent, but now we are spoiled. the mini suites "prime" location may be important to some, but thats not a big dealt us.

we  have enjoyed this cruise so much that we booked it again next year so we'll see you on board ....

have a great holiday season!

• Like 4

@tml1230 Thanks for your thoughts.

After we booked our Oct 2023 N. Europe cruise on the Island (with friends who had only sailed Celebrity), I was concerned after reading some reviews, particularly those who had done the world cruise on her.

My worries were for naught--we thought she was great, and it appears you did as well.

As for strong perfume & loud people--well, that can certainly happen anywhere!

Enjoy the last couple days!

Thanks for your observations, tml1230.  I board the Island Princess on January 4 for 111 days.  I followed a 2023 world cruise blog here on CC and have viewed many YouTube videos and am psyched.

My only pre-cruise disappointments are the lack of a full promenade - I'll be wearing out the carpet on the aft crossover - and the lack of an International Cafe.  But, I always manage to find a workaround for little issues and as long as I'm at sea, can find something to eat when I'm hungry, and can scare up a wee dram in the evening, all is good.

39 minutes ago, DavidsNana said:

@SargassoPirateSure hope that you will do a running review of your upcoming World Cruise.  Would love to follow.

I'll give it some thought.  I sort of unplug from the world/wifi when I cruise.  I mostly use my smartphone for a camera and to check in occasionally with SWMBO.

Did you follow the 2023 running review? 

1 minute ago, SargassoPirate said:

I'll give it some thought.  I sort of unplug from the world/wifi when I cruise.  I mostly use my smartphone for a camera and to check in occasionally with SWMBO.

Yes, and I really enjoyed it.  I can fully understand your unplugging on cruises.  Have a wonderful time.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I too hope you give some updates from your cruise, but totally I understand  unplugging from the world!

Also, In the not for nuthin category....when I wrote and posted my review I was actually crossing the Sargasso Sea!

• Haha 1

We have been on five princess cruises. We loved our time on the island but there were some major differences.  The buffet breakfast was unusually bad. No salmon on 2/3 of days, unlike all of our other princess cruises. Poor other choices, little room to eat.  Breakfast in main dining was normal. 

12 hours ago, beltsbear said:

We have been on five princess cruises. We loved our time on the island but there were some major differences.  The buffet breakfast was unusually bad. No salmon on 2/3 of days, unlike all of our other princess cruises. Poor other choices, little room to eat.  Breakfast in main dining was normal. 

When I cruise solo (SWMBO is on a different biological clock) I use workarounds to avoid peak dining times and crowds.  Early breakfast in the buffet when it first opens or breakfast in the MDR.  Lunch in the MDR most every day when it's open.  Evening meal is usually nibbles in the P&E lounge and I generally don't eat after that.

• 4 months later...

This sounds like 28 day November 24, 2024 I plan to book from Athens. I'm wondering what side of the ship to book. I'm thinking the port side? Is that better for most of the island views?