Red Sea Situation Got Any World Cruisers Nervous?

SargassoPirate

4 hours ago, NCCruzQueen said:

Our ship gets to the Red Sea in April.  We’ll see as we get closer.  The Captain and corporate will make the right decision when the time comes.

If they can't transit the Red Sea, the decision will need to be made well in advance. If they wait until April, if using Cape of Good Hope, it is an additional 5,000 miles, which is 11 - 12 days continuous steaming.

Even if they stopped at ports for bunkers, the ships victuals would not be available, as they would be sitting in containers, at other ports.

The decision can also be forced on shipping lines by the Underwriters, who can significantly increase insurance rates in a War Zone and even cancel the policy.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

If they can't transit the Red Sea, the decision will need to be made well in advance. If they wait until April, if using Cape of Good Hope, it is an additional 5,000 miles, which is 11 - 12 days continuous steaming.

Even if they stopped at ports for bunkers, the ships victuals would not be available, as they would be sitting in containers, at other ports.

The decision can also be forced on shipping lines by the Underwriters, who can significantly increase insurance rates in a War Zone and even cancel the policy.

All true.  I’m sure the cruise line will handle it.

We’ve already had three ports changed due to war and unsafe travel.  Go with the flow.

Edited by NCCruzQueen
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NCCruzQueen said:

We’ve already had three ports changed due to war and unsafe travel.  Go with the flow.

Once I get on board, I'm good.  No use fretting over things I cannot control.  The bucket list item was a complete circumnavigation.  I've already been to about half of the ports, so that wasn't the big draw.  I'm confident the right choices will be made by those in control and that the ship will get back to Fort L on time.

If not, we'll have interesting stories to share during cocktail hours.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Once I get on board, I'm good.  No use fretting over things I cannot control.  The bucket list item was a complete circumnavigation.  I've already been to about half of the ports, so that wasn't the big draw.  I'm confident the right choices will be made by those in control and that the ship will get back to Fort L on time.

If not, we'll have interesting stories to share during cocktail hours.

One port I really wanted to visit was Myanmar with a side overland trip to Bagan has been cancelled along with Israel are not happening on our Miami to Miami World Cruise.  As of today, the overland trip to Nepal is still on.  Really looking forward to that trip!

There may not be time to ever go to those missed ports plus the Black Sea but those I have cruised to in the past 30 years have been phenomenal.  How lucky am I!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NCCruzQueen said:

That's our outlook, especially on a World Cruise. We figure the itinerary is finalised when we walk down the gangway for the last time. Until that point, the itinerary is little more than a suggestion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/21/2023 at 9:17 PM, NCCruzQueen said:

One port I really wanted to visit was Myanmar with a side overland trip to Bagan has been cancelled along with Israel are not happening on our Miami to Miami World Cruise.  As of today, the overland trip to Nepal is still on.  Really looking forward to that trip!

There may not be time to ever go to those missed ports plus the Black Sea but those I have cruised to in the past 30 years have been phenomenal.  How lucky am I!

Love your attitude, that I took the liberty of bolding.  SWMBO and I have discussed that, while on fixed incomes, we are the richest people in any room because, well into our 70s, we do whatever we want to do, when we want to do it, and most importantly we have our health.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Love your attitude, that I took the liberty of bolding.  SWMBO and I have discussed that, while on fixed incomes, we are the richest people in any room because, well into our 70s, we do whatever we want to do, when we want to do it, and most importantly we have our health.

My philosophy these days is, if you have good health and “a little cruise money,” you’re doing ok!  
When do you board your ship for your adventure?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NCCruzQueen said:

My philosophy these days is, if you have good health and “a little cruise money,” you’re doing ok!  
When do you board your ship for your adventure?

January 4 in Fort L.  I'm flying in a few days ahead just to stay ahead of any weather or other flight issues.  It's getting close now.  One of my bags is already there via Luggage Forward.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BobandLizM said:

@SargassoPirate

Your views on topics and outlook on life seem very balanced. You sound excited, there is only one possible outcome, you are going to have a brilliant time.

Well, thank you very much.   What a nice comment.

I recall a line from "The Exotic Marigold Hotel" that I may butcher, but it goes something like "everything will be alright in the end.  If it's not alright, it isn't the end"

• Like 4

• 1 month later...