New Caledonia Visa Requirements

hello, 

my wife holds a srilankan passport, but has australian permanant residency. 

Upon checking with the New Caledonian embassy when we initially booked the cruise, they confirmed that no visa was required to visit NC as long as it was a return cruise back to australia. 

However, they I think they have now changed this and may have a visa requirement for some nationality passport holders. 

I have been trying to get info from Embassies / VFS but its very confusing as no one knows the exact process / requirements. 

Is anyone else in the same situation or had any experiences cruising post this change? Any advice is highly appreciated as out cruise is Next week 😞

thanks so much

59 minutes ago, cruisers94 said:

hello, 

my wife holds a srilankan passport, but has australian permanant residency. 

Upon checking with the New Caledonian embassy when we initially booked the cruise, they confirmed that no visa was required to visit NC as long as it was a return cruise back to australia. 

However, they I think they have now changed this and may have a visa requirement for some nationality passport holders. 

I have been trying to get info from Embassies / VFS but its very confusing as no one knows the exact process / requirements. 

Is anyone else in the same situation or had any experiences cruising post this change? Any advice is highly appreciated as out cruise is Next week 😞

thanks so much

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I think you may need a visa, I have quickly done a dummy visa check , see attached.

Screenshot_20231221-122725_Samsung Internet.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi sorry to reply to my own post but just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this? My wife will be traveling on a philippine passport and yes the visa wizard states she will need a visa at a cost of 9 euro but then im looking on the vfs global site and thats saying there will be 70 euros to book the visa appointment.

Based on older posts I have noted that there are no passport/visa checks at New Caledonia Ports so it seems pointless to have to go through all of this and then having to attend an appointment only for no-one to ever check it but at the same time don't want to risk it....

56 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I would think that your wife may not be allowed to board if she doesn't have a visa.

I have never experienced any cruise line checking passengers for visas.

However, this does not mean it would never or has never happened. Some ports will have border force officials checking but I've never seen it happen on any South Pacific islands.

With respect, Princess at least say in their terms and conditions that passengers will be denied boarding if they don't have the relevant visas. Also I believe that it is immaterial whether or not the passenger intends to go ashore at the relevant port, they still need to get their visas.

• Like 3

To back up my post (and Possum's). I'm not sure what the visa wizard is, but make sure you use the country's official website so you are not also paying a third party agent's fee.

Screenshot_20240301-095954_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 2