Yacht Club vs Explora Journeys

morpheusofthesea

20 hours ago, mafig said:

Captain Kate walks around with a bodyguard?

One of the negative points of having a lot of followers on social media and being the Celebrity poster person.  Does not surprise me at all seeing the Swifty reaction of people on this site and others.  

Captain Serena sounds interesting.  I will be googling her today.

Here we are comparing Explora with Yacht Club and, so far, everyone that stops us to talk is comparing Explora to Regent. A very nice gentleman, 87 years old was walking inside the Conservatory pool area (Jungle pool) like us for the same reason, it is too windy up on the walking/run track out on deck 12. He just got back from three different Regent trips and loves Regent. He had three observations, the greater array of complimentary excursions to choose from on Regent, versus Explora having no openings for those that did not prebook their excursions before boarding. Complained that  his dinner was 2 1/2 hours long last night. And the lack of any "good" entertainment on this ship so far. Must say that we have not experienced the same long dinner times. We are happy that there is some entertainment and are not that critical. And yes we are happy we prebooked our tour.

• Like 3

We are NOT gourmands, but the food is very good. I have to pace myself at the Emporeum Marketplace. On Seaships (we never avail ourselves) I understand why one HAS to pile the plate high with food as the lines are long and a mad rush and a chore to go back for 'seconds' and 'thirds'. But here in the EM there are no lines. Our plates are cleared from our table as soon as we finish a dish. Take a minute or two to digest and contemplate what next to try. We sat down close to the food, but learned to pick a table farther away because it is TOO popular for groups to set up with over 8 talking to be heard 4 tables away. I guess it is easier to accommodate these large family groups in the EM than in a restaurant. Dinners the restaurants try to put these groups away from the rest of us.

After lunch we walked around a bit to digest. The best place to go is to the closest elevator bank and read what floor has what. We picked out the spa and thought we would get a quick tour. The receptionist was very helpful and took us through a maze of narrow hallways. I got lost because I lingered to take some photos, but he came back to retrieve me. It is open 8-8. Port days NO appointment necessary. Sea days NO appointment needed 8-10 am or 6-8pm. Similar to Seaships.

Past by and took photo of launderette with an iron elaborately plugged into the wall, 2 chairs to wait but so cramped one might feel claustrophobic in this 'broom type' closet. Door has a porthole to ease one's claustrophobia.

An observation. We notice these elegant hand washing stations and 99% of those entrants bypassing without stopping. There are also these upgraded machines that are motion sensitive giving a light spray of sanitizer more like alcohol that dissipates rather quickly giving one no excuse not to use it. But again 99% pass right by. There is no elegant hand washing station outside of Fil Rouge or Med Yacht Club. Perhaps management would be notified to place 4 of these auto sprayers in the hallway as we line up doing nothing waiting to get in ?

Edited by morpheusofthesea

We looked forward to seeing your "take" on EJ1 and expected the constant comparisons to the YC (we are also fans of the YC).  But, we also understand that with EJ we are talking small/medium luxury ship cruising vs a huge mega mass market vessel with a smallish ship within a ship.  They are completely different, and you are already discovering little things like elevators that seldom keep you waiting more than 10 seconds without needing to swipe a card on MSC (and often find a pretty crowded elevator).  Not surprised that you found yourself in a near-empty cruise terminal (at embarkation) since those of us who cruise on the luxury lines see little reason to arrive early at embarkation.  Come a little later, check-in, and board the vessel without sitting around the terminal.  

We do put some emphasis on gourmet food, so think that the cuisine on EJ is in a different sphere then the slightly upgraded mass market stuff served on MSC.  You keep mentioning the lack of lines in the Emporium, and that is just the nature of small ship luxury lines where there are rarely lines anywhere.  As to going to the shows on EJ, one can usually walk-in at the last second (or even late) and still find decent seats.  We took a liking to the seats (towards the rear) that are raised-up on a platform, offer unlimited leg room, and avoid having to deal with heads/bodies in the next closest row.  

I do hope you make it to Ocean Cay (not sure about your itinerary) since we suspect you will not be as happy as when on MSC.  The comments here (and elsewhere) make it sound like the OC experience is not handled well for EJ. 

Hank

P.S,  Keep the reports coming

PPS.  After our 18 days on EJ1 we quickly booked future cruises with SS, Seabourn and Oceania 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

those of us who cruise on the luxury lines see little reason to arrive early at embarkation.  Come a little later, check-in, and board the vessel without sitting around the terminal.  

I brought this to DW attention. Her quick response was "I can't wait til 4 pm for my luggage !"

• Haha 2

Tonight we had dinner in Fil Rouge. It took all of one hour. Plenty of time to get to the 8:30 show in the Journeys Lounge. Same as if we were in the YC restaurant and made it on time to the Madison/Chora theatres. The show was a better compilation of Christmas songs performed by the resident vocalists and 7 piece back up band. There was a second show exactly the same after a 30 minute break. We opted after the first show to go to the Astern Lounge which is similar to the Uptown Lounge on Seaships. for two really good different shows performed by an all female group of singers called Roxx, backed up by the DJ producing the music. This venue became a packed house. The entertainment ladies were all dressed very elegantly and were all on the dance floor just like in Uptown Lounge or even Le Cabaret Rouge. The place was hopping. The staff were adding more chairs right on the dance floor to accommodate more guests, like Le Cabaret Rouge. The party was supposed to end at 11:15, we left at 11:10 and can't imagine they stopped with everyone having such a good time.

This ship rocks and rolls more than the Seaships and this is in calm seas. Not at all that bad. We were reminded of our youth on a P&O ship when we were caught in a typhoon crossing the Tasman Sea. At that time they came into our cabin and sealed our port hole and DW slept on the floor after having gotten a shot from the medical center for seasickness. I was okay which is astounding considering I get nauseated on Disney's Tea Cup ride.

The Captain had dinner with a group of 20 in the back of Fil Rouge tonight 7pm. The only thing that changes on the Fil Rouge menu is the tart of the day for dessert.

I found a nice spot to lounge in the shade in the Conservatory (Jungle Pool) next to the whirlpool. There is no one in the pool at the moment and it is a long rectangular one that holds 20. At the present moment we are at anchor and the slight rocking of the ship makes the pool give off the sound of waves crashing on the surf. Quite unique and surprising. 

The ship is lowering two lifeboats as tenders to shore. According to @Fissues we are are visiting Virgin Gorda today (I get all the news I need on a weather report when cruising). I can not use my balcony as it is exposed to the sun. This is where my reserved pergola at the One Pool deck strategically chosen on the opposite side of the ship from our cabin is greatly missed. I will be comfortable for the moment listening to the crashing waves until someone next to me starts coughing and sneezing or snoring.

• Like 1

We have been kindly accommodated with Aqua Panna still bottled water ONLY because we got it approved through Geneva. Having experienced preordering anything from MSC we know is USELESS. Being our first 'rodeo' with Explora, just in to be sure we added 2 cases factory boxed/ sealed and checked through in duffle bags with the rest of our luggage and tipped the porter $100 for the 14 suitcases (trying to leave nothing to chance) as MSC will not allow bringing water aboard. Finding that it is a 'disposition' to have to carry our bottled water around to restaurants and to the lounges as bottled water is NOT served on this "sustainable" ship. This is another plus for MSC. They have not yet taken to this "sustainable" attitude.

Guest services told us this morning that the ship uses two lifeboats as tenders. Well it appears there are at least 3 launched this morning.  The ship is adjusting to the greater demand on the ship.

There is an unusual inundation of the ship with medium size moths or butterflies, let us call them butterflies, it's more poetic. Hundreds, thousands, better than an infestation as long as they disappear. MSC posted us to close our balcony doors at night for fear of bugs infesting the ship on our Thanksgiving cruise. We had a small bird fly into our cabin on a Celebrity ship. They would nest on the ship.

• Haha 1

I repeat that we are not gourmands and comparing the food with MSC Yacht Club is not from any expert. Will say this though, having sailed the Yacht Clubs a few times have found that WHO  is the chef makes a great difference. For some unexplained reason when the main (good) chef goes on vacation the replacement is a failure. (Or when the cat's away ?) Understand that Chef Lisa has left the Seascape and is not to return until sometime in January to the Seashore. We always enjoyed the YC food when Chef Lisa was in charge in the YC.

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Guest services told us this morning that the ship uses two lifeboats as tenders. Well it appears there are at least 3 launched this morning.  The ship is adjusting to the greater demand on the ship.

There is an unusual inundation of the ship with medium size moths or butterflies, let us call them butterflies, it's more poetic. Hundreds, thousands, better than an infestation as long as they disappear. MSC posted us to close our balcony doors at night for fear of bugs infesting the ship on our Thanksgiving cruise. We had a small bird fly into our cabin on a Celebrity ship. They would nest on the ship.

We were on in November and they used 3 lifeboats for tenders for us too. I have reading your take with interest. We are probably not doing another Explora cruise because of price and itinerary. We have a February cruise in yachtclub. This will be number 6.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, happy cruzin 2 said:

We were on in November and they used 3 lifeboats for tenders for us too. I have reading your take with interest. We are probably not doing another Explora cruise because of price and itinerary. We have a February cruise in yacht club. This will be number 6.  

We understand. We are presently booked on other MSC Seaships and looking forward to MSC World of America as well. All Yacht Club only.

IF we were to return to Explora it would have to be a bigger cabin at a price comparable to RS or OS on MSC. I would have to 'look the other way' about my reserved pergola on the One Pool Deck and DW would have to resign herself to carrying bottled water to every venue. Others would, I am sure, be happy with the former ...price.

12 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"...looking forward to MSC World of America..."

Based on YC reports from World Europa, I'm hesitant to book World America's YC.

A great many more rooms without a proportionate increase in dining room and lounge size is not a plus.

• Like 1