How to get drinks

Hobar

5 minutes ago, Hobar said:

Do wait staff come around in venues (bars, entertainment areas, pool, etc - aside from the restaurants) to take drink orders, or must we always go the bartenders at the bar to order? 

The staff usually circulate around and take orders, but sometimes if they are really busy or understaffed it’s quicker to go to the bar yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On our latest trip, we found the Lido pool bar was our favorite because we struck up a good relationship with one of the waiters. By day 3, Andry had remembered our names, our drink preferences and was always walking by at exactly the right time to order another round.  

We typically head down to the Pinnacle or Ocean bar for a cocktail before dinner, and staff were circulating to take drink orders but were often very busy. I was surprised (having been a server loooooong ago) that the waiters didn't seem to have specific sections assigned. The overlap meant some seats had plenty of service while others were lacking.

• Thanks 1

Some would suggest a bribe (I mean tip) up front will buy you good service. Others will suggest a bribe (was that my out loud voice again) using a specific uncommon denomination will get you noticed. I would suggest asking politely and treating the servers with respect will get you noticed, make a point of getting their names and mention the servers by name in the Navigator app.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On the K'dam last January, there were no beverage servers in the Lido (yes I know you excluded restaurants, but I haven't seen this mentioned at all or not lately) -- there was a small bar on at least one side but I hope both sides, with limited choices (I recall beer and wine only). The circulating stewards would fetch drinks with your card if you needed them to, but they were really stretched thin just keeping the tables clear and clean, so I would go to the small bar myself.

In the Crows Nest we were well taken care of. I do add an extra tip on the paper slip at least once or twice a day, but I am also friendly, treat servers as people, and try to remember their names. And if a big group is taking up servers' time, I am not above sidling up to the bar and getting a round myself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We don't usually have a problem getting served. Years of practice have helped us to develop a thirsty look. If you are in a loud, dark, busy venue - think BB King while the band is playing - raise a hand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, dawnvip said:

On our latest trip, we found the Lido pool bar was our favorite because we struck up a good relationship with one of the waiters. By day 3, Andry had remembered our names, our drink preferences and was always walking by at exactly the right time to order another round.  

We typically head down to the Pinnacle or Ocean bar for a cocktail before dinner, and staff were circulating to take drink orders but were often very busy. I was surprised (having been a server loooooong ago) that the waiters didn't seem to have specific sections assigned. The overlap meant some seats had plenty of service while others were lacking.

Despite what some contrarians here think about tips, what works well for me is the old $2 bill extra tip slipped discreetly into the hand of the server when my first wee dram is delivered.  From then on, no matter about area overlap or some cruisers covered with a cloak of invisibility, I never seem to suffer from thirst between the first and second round.  And if those same servers spot me in another venue, they'll stop by to see if I need anything - usually just a soft drink in the daytime.  

I also acknowledge them with a smile, address them by name, and thank them.

It's been working for me for years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1