Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar - Princess Plus Menu

Keata

11 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I think that is the nigiri .. too much rice for me, though.  

It’s particularly hard for me to figure out chopsticks.  Many have tried to teach me and have failed.  
In addition to the edamame, I love the Maki rolls with some spicy sauce, ginger and wasabi!  I’m getting hungry just thinking about it.  
Neither of us were crazy about the seaweed salad, so they always just left that part of the order off.  Plus, we always just split one plate .. again, we had the premier package so that was never an issue!  They seemed to like to bring us more and I hate wasting food so we politely turned it down.  We find we like food a lot more on a return visit if we leave just a little tiny bit hungry.  

I always have to ask for a fork, ha ha. What is in a Maki roll?

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

14 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

That’s the one that is round and cut into 6 pieces with rice and seaweed and whatever filling.  The California roll is with cooked shrimp and the vegetable roll is with cucumber, avocado and one other vegetable (at least mine was).  They are both delish!  
And a big yes to the fork!  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Maki refers to the ‘type’ of sushi and translates to ‘roll’. Just like nigiri is the type of sushi where you have a rice ball with usually some sort of protein on top.

For reference see post #2 which was the original Ocean Terrace menu which allowed more customization but seems Princess has transitioned to a ‘set’ menu and your ‘maki’ is the spicy tuna roll.

The new menu does not mention you have a choice for your ‘maki’, where the first rollout you had a choice of 4 pieces of up to 2 different maki choices for a total of 8 roll pieces.

@Cruise Raiderhas reported being able to custom order on the Discovery from a few weeks ago. California roll is tradionally made with crab(usually imitation on Princess), avocado and cucumber. She mentioned hers might have been custom made with shrimp, or she mistook the imitation crab for shrimp?

Edited by wallyj
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, wallyj said:

Maki refers to the ‘type’ of sushi and translates to ‘roll’. Just like nigiri is the type of sushi where you have a rice ball with usually some sort of protein on top.

For reference see post #2 which was the original Ocean Terrace menu which allowed more customization but seems Princess has transitioned to a ‘set’ menu and your ‘maki’ is the spicy tuna roll.

The new menu does not mention you have a choice for your ‘maki’, where the first rollout you had a choice of 4 pieces of up to 2 different maki choices for a total of 8 roll pieces.

@Cruise Raiderhas reported being able to custom order on the Discovery from a few weeks ago. California roll is tradionally made with crab(usually imitation on Princess), avocado and cucumber. She mentioned hers might have been custom made with shrimp, or she mistook the imitation crab for shrimp?

I think I probably mistook the carb for shrimp!  Good catch!  

• Like 1

Just got off the Royal. Wife & I were on Premier, and due to this, we often just sat at Ocean Terrace and order edamame by itself or just order the pickled vegetables and salad etc. to nibble on with some drinks. So there is no need to order the full set. You can subtract away. (obviously more useful with premier package for having no limits to number of meals)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cruise_critical said:

Just got off the Royal. Wife & I were on Premier, and due to this, we often just sat at Ocean Terrace and order edamame by itself or just order the pickled vegetables and salad etc. to nibble on with some drinks. So there is no need to order the full set. You can subtract away. (obviously more useful with premier package for having no limits to number of meals)

Is the Royal allowing substitution/customization as in can you request all Ebi nigiri and or California roll instead of the spicy tuna roll?

44 minutes ago, wallyj said:

Is the Royal allowing substitution/customization as in can you request all Ebi nigiri and or California roll instead of the spicy tuna roll?

I did ask if I can have any other roll and was told for certain that it's not possible. Btw, the spicy tuna roll has no raw fish in it. It is a roll with rice, cucumber, avocado, crab stick, and has grilled tuna on the top with chili mayo) I think that is why they picked that one due to such non-raw nature. (easier to store / make / keep it consistent) It is quite delicious mind you. I really liked the sauce as it has a bit of a kick.

As for just 1 type of nigiri, as long as you stay within the boundaries of what is included (salmon, tuna and ebi), I'm sure they will be able to accomodate it if you ask nicely enough. 🙂

Edited by cruise_critical
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@cruise_critical, thank you for your reply. You would think they would allow request for California roll which is basically the Spicy tuna roll without the added toppings.

When I was on the Sapphire earlier this month, I asked if I could get all Ebi nigiri and was told No. On Sapphire the sushi is probably made in the kitchen for Vivaldi, whereas on most Royal class ships, made in front of you at Ocean Terrace.

On Discovery late October, they allowed all Ebi and allowed request for California roll, another passenger reported they would also do veggie roll request for plus or premier package use.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I don't have the Plus or Premier package, if paying, is the $14.99 lunch set the only choice now on the Discovery?   In Nov., 2022, I was on the Discovery for 2 weeks, and I remember ordering from a menu that have many choices.  For example, I can just get a order of California rolls, or several pieces of Sashimi, etc.

20 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

This set menu for the casual dining is going to reduce its value to us as a package item.

Does not matter how much food if it not what you would order.

Thank you.  I mainly wanted to know if we can still order a la carte?  I got my answer already from a current Live thread on Discovery.