New Excursion Cancellation policy being implemented early?

daybrake

I received an email from Celebrity about their new excursion cancellation policy which states:

"Beginning January 1, you’ll have up to 48 hours prior to arriving in port to cancel your shore excursion. This update applies to all new and existing bookings."

Our cruise sail date from FLL is 12/29/2023.

The date of the first excursion in Nassau is for 12/30/2023 at 9:00 a.m..

The date of the second excursion is 1/1/2024.

Today is 12/27/2023.

Today, when I look at our Order History in cruise planner -- the purchase receipt  states:  "You're good to go! Reservation is non-refundable and cannot be modified."  For BOTH excursions.  

It is currently 3 days less 2 hours (70 hours) prior to the 12/30/23 9:00 am excursion in the Nassau port, but less than 48 hours for a FLL sail date of 12/29/2023.  Seems like Celebrity is implementing their new 48 hour cancellation early AND applying it to the 2023 excursion date.

Unless the 48 hour window applies to the arrival at the port of embarkation (FLL) rather than the port of Nassau?  Am I not understanding something?

Their email did not specify which port the 48 hour cancellation clause was applicable to -- whether it be embarkation port at the beginning of cruise sailing or the port affiliated with the excursion.

This will be my first cruise on Celebrity.  I already have a 2024 cruise booked on the Apex.  My experience on this first cruise will determine whether I keep the 2024 booking or not.

I had wondered at the way the notice of cancellation policy was worded initially. It seems it  could apply to the port of embarkation OR the port of  the actual excursion. At any rate, this is way more than  the stated time for cancellation becoming nonrefundable per Celebrity's latest announcement on this. 

7 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Old news , posted a while back that starting in 2024 , it is a 48 cancellation policy 

Yes --- BUT it is more than 48 hours prior to the excursion date and one of the excursions is for a 2023 date so this new cancellation policy should not apply since the new policy starts for 2024.

18 minutes ago, 39august said:

I had wondered at the way the notice of cancellation policy was worded initially. It seems it  could apply to the port of embarkation OR the port of  the actual excursion. At any rate, this is way more than  the stated time for cancellation becoming nonrefundable per Celebrity's latest announcement on this. 

I agree -- it seems like they are applying it to the port of embarkation.  But what is really confusing is that they are also applying it to a 2023 dated excursion.

15 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Have you tried cancelling on line?  If that didn’t work then call and cancel.  You are within the timeframe.

I think it must require a phone call and cannot be done online via the cruise planner since the cruise planner is "locked" for any other types of reservations.  Thanks.

Just now, daybrake said:

I agree -- it seems like they are applying it to the port of embarkation.  But what is really confusing is that they are also applying it to a 2023 dated excursion.

Have you tried to cancel?  If you can’t cancel on line call.  You should clearly be able to cancel

Policy seems clear to me.  Policy starts Jan 1.   Allows for cancelation up until 48 prior to arriving at the excursion port.   For all the crap Celebrity takes on this board this seems like a fairly generous policy given that cruisers are booking excursions months in advance. 

You booked nonrefundable excursions that will remain that way as the policy doesn't start until Jan 1.

The policy is listed in the updated policies that came out Dec 25th.  

SHORE EXCURSIONS

For cruises starting January 1, 2024, Shore Excursions can be modified or cancelled up to 48 hours prior to tour port arrival without penalty. Tours involving flights, trains, special events, overnight stays, hotel stays, and Private Journeys must be cancelled 30 days prior to sailing to avoid cancellation penalties. Other restrictions may apply.

Two things. First it seems like you may be in the window where cruise planner stops working.  I think it is 3 days prior to sailing.

Second, are the specific excursions cancelable? As noted NOT all excursions can be cancelled.

Finally, it could be an all too common Celebrity IT screwup.

• Like 1